Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how to add a 2nd router
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:50 pm 

I know I saw the proper procedure for adding a 2nd router in the magazine. Have been going through old issues but can't find it. I want to disable the wireless on the Verizon modem (#1), slow connections, and add a Linksys E1500 (#2) for the wireless function. Any help or direction as to where I can find the information in the magazine would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: how to add a 2nd router
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 pm 

Sorry, only computer magazine I still get is Maximum PC so assumed the article was there. The article I was thinking of was in Popular Mechanics. Did a little research on Cisco/Linksys website and found the solution for cascading wireless routers. Problem solved, works great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

No surprise it was in PopMech. MaxPC doesn't do "how-to's" anymore. If I see another how to build this type of PC or that type of PC I'm gonna puke. Word to Gordon, Nathan and the B-team...we know how to build already. And then their Hardware Hacks the other month was beyond lame. Everything was a regurgitation from issues gone by and when did an OC suddenly constitute has a friggin hack? Where-o-where has the editorial efficacy and topical accountability gone?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just because you've been with the magazine and hobby for years, doesn't mean someone else hasn't. And yes, it would be nice if MPC covered things like this, but eh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

It is easy; plug an Ethernet cable form one of the LAN connectors in one router to the other.

Technically you should use a crossover cable, but most fairly modern routers are adaptive...but you can also circumvent this (that is be more correct) if the second router has a WAN (or "Internet") port by running the Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the first router to the WAN port (which is a crossover port) on the second router.