Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 80mm by 25mm, ~50CFM Quiet Fan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:59 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I know this seems like an oxymoron, and "50CFM" is totally negotiable.

I'm leaning toward this CM product.

My PC Power and Cooling 850SSI is an overbuilt tank, but it's LOUD. So I want to replace its fan. The fan on that PSU is specced to 52CFM and can hit 40dBA+. Straight from OCZ/PCP&C, this unit is overengineered to operate in an industrial environment. I'm waiting on them to see what their engineers consider "acceptable" (if they'll give me such) on going below 50CFM or so.

Does anyone have other fan suggestions?

Post subject: Re: 80mm by 25mm, ~50CFM Quiet Fan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

So you are going to void the remainder (if any) of a 5 yr. warranty on a old discontinued PSU to swap the fan to install on a client's system?

Works for me. Kind of wonder why an engineering dept. would be concerned about a fan swap in an EOL PSU. I can think of other things to be concerned about. This does assume the fan is 25mm thick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

PSU is out of warranty by a year. Product is discontinued anyway. I'm installing a new fan in the PSU, I have no intention of using that really loud fan that came with it. Also, customer support gave me the exact dimensions of the fan which includes a 25mm thickness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL, yup...that puppy can get loud. Still running one in the garage and that's the only place I can tolerate it. It's just only quiet when the PC is idle and when Folding, that thing is just spun up full tilt all the time.

I'm afraid that CM will run full tilt as well and isn't really needed (negotiable, right?). We just don't really know where it's thermals are set and may just spin up at medium loads or something. I'd aim for something like the NM BlackSilent X2. It's 16db but only 27cfm, which should really be enough to cool the 850SSI PSU in a normal environment. There's other fans out there that may be more silent or offer more air, but rarely will you see both quiet(er) with sufficient air like the NB fans offer. And if you notice, the fans have a 3yr warranty and the P-1 Version (which is aimed more directly at PSU rather than cases) carries a 6yr warranty.

I don't think that PSU will ever die, so having a fan extend it's life another 3 or 6 years would be phenomenal IMO.