Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS PA238Q Review Question Nov Mag Vol 17 No 7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 am 

Hello,

I got really excited about the ASUS PA238Q monitor after reading the review.

After reading the user reviews on Newegg however I am hesitant. There is a large amount of complains about backlight bleeding. In the review article is said 'a whiff of blacklight bleed'.

So what is the deal here? Are people just being too picky or was the review model just better then the rest? This monitor received a KICKASS award and I don't take that lightly. Any comments or after thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: ASUS PA238Q Review Question Nov Mag Vol 17 No 7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Go to other websites that reviewed this monitor. You shouldn't base your decision on one "professional" reviewer and a handful of "user" reviewers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The reviewer noted that he could see a tiny bit of bleed but not very much, and overall it didn't affect his opinion too much. He really liked it quite a bit so we highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:59 pm 

I very much respect and in many cases even follow the Best of the Best recommendations but they really do need to be updated more regularly.

The Asus PA238Q came out in 2011 and has been so beset with complaints about backlight bleeding that supposedly it was replaced by Asus with the PB238Q.
Newegg hasn't offered the PA238Q for several weeks now. Is there nothing more recent that can top the questionable PA238Q? Not even the PB238Q?

Based on the recommendation of the PA238Q by the MaxPC staff I purchased the PB238Q and so far it's a fantastic monitor. Bright, beautiful, very colorful. No ghosting or smearing that I can see either.

It's just frustrating to go to the Best of the Best page only to find out of date recommendations. This isn't the first time I've investigated a BotB recommendation only to find it's no longer available.

Even right now the Asus monitor and the Samsung DVD burner are OOS for a while at Newegg.

I thought in print MaxPC was recommending the GTX660 for the midrange (less than $300) card but I see the Radeon 7870 is still up on the page.

The new Samsung 840 SSDs are out and by the few reviews I've read they're better than the 830s they're replacing, but no update on the page.

I'm not b**tching btw, just lamenting and wishing that the page was updated in a more timely fashion. It's a useful tool not only when building a new machine for myself, but also when I make recommendations to friends. I know your decisions are based on your own testing and not just on reviews or mfg. press releases. I just think that if a card is reviewed in the magazine and found to be better than the one recommended on the BotB page the page should be updated in a timely manner.

OOS/unavailable items at the provided links just proves my point that the page is stale.