Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ADSL connection drops
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:53 am 

Have an issue that has not been answered satisfactorily by either Lenovo or Frontier. When plugging the "IdeaPad Z360" running Windows 7 into a CAT5 cable which is connected directly into the Frontier supplied Westell 7500 router. After about four minutes the connection will terminate and the laptop proceeds to then connect from scratch (searches for a connection) before establishing one with eth0 again (about one minute to complete). Frontier says it's a Lenovo problem and Lenovo just wants to sell an extended warranty as their solution. This problem only occurs with our Frontier ADSL service, never with our WildBlue. Would use the WiFi but the location is in another building.

Post subject: Re: ADSL connection drops
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:16 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

5 possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head, & 3 checks you can make..

1> power off Router & unplug from wall - remove all cables then reinsert cables to make sure all cables are firmly seated plug back in & turn on.

2> bad cable inside building to router - replace cable if possible

3> bad NIC in laptop - pickup a cheap USB NIC - I've seen them on sale in Staples for as low as $15

4> bad line from source to building - Frontier will have to setup service to check

5> bad router - Frontier needs to check it - unless you have a spare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:46 am 

You can eliminate 1, 2, 4, 5 as solutions. Normally have a PC plugged into the same cable which works fine. That's running Linux or BSD 90% of the time and occasionally Vista if Windows gaming. Will try the NIC idea. Also the Z360 will work with the cable if I boot from any Linux or BSD live DVD.

I use to think the human brain was the most important organ in the body. Then I realized that it was telling me that!

Badger :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:38 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

badger wrote:
Also the Z360 will work with the cable if I boot from any Linux or BSD live DVD.

Works in Linux or BSD live but now Windows 7... sounds like a compatibility issue between the NIC driver & Windows 7. I would check Lenovo's website to see if they have a more up-to-date driver. If Lenovo does not have a newer driver, then try to find out who manufacturs the chipset in the NIC & go directly to the chipset manufacturer & see if they have a more up-to-date driver.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am 

Have done additional testing and it's looking more like an issue with the Frontier Westell 7500 router then Lenovo.
First have discovered that the WiFi has the same issue of dropping when connected to the Westell 7500. What really surprised me is that when the Z360 drops the connection using either the eth0 or WiFi any other computer that is connected to the LAN will also drop their connections and go through establishing a new connection. Took the laptop to the library and it's works perfectly using their ComCast connection. Starbucks WiFi no problems. At this point since Frontier is no help will probably return the 7500 since Frontier leases them for a regular modem and connect my WRT54GL to the modem using 127.0.0.1 instead of the 192.168.1.1 for the wireless connections. At least until someone can recommend a wireless router that will work properly with Frontier.

I use to think the human brain was the most important organ in the body. Then I realized that it was telling me that!

Badger