Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Behind 2 switches/
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

My wife runs a home daycare which is in the basement. I have run ethernet cable from a switch in my office down to the basement to another switch with two computers. Instead of trying to get a wireless signal down to the basement I ran a 50' ethernet line from the basement switch to a DVD player so the kids can watch Netflix movies. The two basement computers work well with good speed and have for years but when I have trouble getting a signal to the DVD player. I took the DVD player to another TV and it works. Both switches are powered... Any ideas??

Post subject: Re: Behind 2 switches/
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 am 

What do you mean by “trouble getting a signal to the DVD player”? As in the blu-ray output is not up to your expectations on the TV? That you can’t access Netflix at all? Or you can access Netflix but it doesn’t streaming smoothly?

Because based solely on your description, it doesn’t make sense why it would make any difference where the blu-ray player was plugged into your network wiring. As long as the lengths are not excessive (ethernet is good up to 100m), it’s irrelevant. Are you sure it’s not just a bad cable?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:15 am 

Or a bad switchport

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 am 

By trouble I mean it will not connect to the internet. The Sony DVD say that it is successfully connected but cannot access the internet. I tried the same port on the switch with with the computers and tried the DVD on other ports on the switch, the computers work on all of the ports on the switch. That is why I am posting because it does not make sense to me. Even though the switch is powered could I not be receiving enough signal to the DVD? How do I measure this? ?????