RAM: Corsair DDR3 1333 – 16Gb (4 x 4Gb)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA 750
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 – 120GB
SSD2: OCZ Agility 3 – 120GB
HD1: WD Caviar Green – 1TB
HD2: WD Caviar Green – 1 TB

Here's what's gone wrong (so far):

The ASUS mobo has 8 SATA ports. 4 are 6gb/s, 4 are 3gb/s. I want to run my OS from one of the SSD's, but whenever I hook up the SSD's to the 6gb/s SATA's, I get BSOD's from time to time. So, I have them running off one of the other SATA ports. This produces the most stable build, so far.

I've run CrystalDiskMark and get close to 6 Gb/s read speeds, and just past 3 Gb/s write speeds - which seems odd, because when I post, I get a message that shows the SSD running at 3Gb/s.

My first question is: what are the post speeds meant for, if they aren't reality?

My second question is: why would I get unstable builds from plugging into the 6Gb SATA?

My last question is: if all of this is just due to a fluke, since I've already got the build up and running off the existing connection, if I wanted to swap the SATA ports to get higher write speeds, by what process should I use to swap the drives? (I want to avoid corrupted OS'es, etc.)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: ASUS P8Z68 vs OCZ SSD = BSOD and Speed issues
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I know that this doesn't answer any of the questions that you have posed in your post, but I am going to ask anyway: Is the firmware for each of your SSDs updated to the latest revision (2.22), and is your motherboard's BIOS updated to its latest revision (3402) as well?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

1> Make sure your SSD's are connected to the two Intel SATA III ports (grey ports)
2> Make sure you have the latest firmware for your SSD's (version 2.22)
3> Make sure you have the most current BIOS for your motherboard (version 3402)

BSOD's are a known issue with SandForce controllers found in the Agility 3 & Vertex 3 drives but have for the most part been fixed through firmware updates.

I have an AMD system, but I had to go into BIOS in order to enable SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) support, it may be the same with your board.

If your BIOS & firmware are up to date & you are connecting to the Intel ports, then it may be time to contact ASUS tech support.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm 

MOBO BIOS is up to date. SSD = not so much.

So I will get the 2.22 firmware update.

What sequence of operations should I perform? i.e. should I get the firmware update, install it, power down, swap them to the grey SATA III ports, power back up and hope for the best?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

This might be useful: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... -ABC-Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:38 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

u4ea12from1 wrote:
MOBO BIOS is up to date. SSD = not so much.

So I will get the 2.22 firmware update.

What sequence of operations should I perform? i.e. should I get the firmware update, install it, power down, swap them to the grey SATA III ports, power back up and hope for the best?

If the SSD's aren't up to date, then the firmware will probably wipe them, so backup any important data. Because you're having occasional problems on the SATA III ports, I would suggest installing the firmware from their current/stable ports, then swap ports & go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

This is just a follow up to the original post. I have gotten both SSD's updated to the latest firmware, and have them running where they should be.

I had to reinstall a bunch of the programs I was using, which was time consuming, but also helped streamline a lot of applications I use.

One thing that seems to be fallout from this, though - is that Google Chrome now seems to have issues loading some websites (ESPN.com, for one example) and seems overall to be a bit buggy. For example, whenever launching Chrome, it starts in full screen mode. Once I click GMail or type in a website and hit return, it minimizes the screen to a window. When I get to some web pages, my scroll buttons don't work.

I've downloaded and installed the latest Java plugins, I've updated my Logitech mouse drivers and whatnot - but Chrome is buggy. I get none of these issues in Explorer or Firefox.

I'm considering the original topic closed, and may post a new thread (after doing some research) but wanted to follow up, say thanks for all the help/input, and move on.

Thanks.