Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: i7 920 Questions and Concerns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am 

Ok so after almost 3 years running this i7 920 based system @ stock speeds I think its about time this system got an OC boost

System Specs:
Spoiler: show
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850 (850 Watts) Modular Power Supply
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
BIOS Version: F13
CPU: Core i7 920 D0
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ with 1 Corsair SP 120 (HP) as intake & 1 Corsair AF 120 (HP) as exhaust
Memory: 12 gigs of Corsair Vengeance LP DDR 3 Memory, 1600MHz CL9
GPU: EVGA Geforce 680 SC
HDD's: 4x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks

Now before even starting the overclock I noticed that in the bios even though I set the clocks, settings and voltages to their stock settings

However I'm still getting clock ratio of 21 for a speed of 2798.95 mhz.

Assuming that's Intel turbo boost, is there any reason why the CPU would be at turbo boost speeds while in the bios settings with little load on the CPU?

Also when running prime 95 with In place large FFT's is it normal to have one core with a temperature difference of 3C from the other three cores?

Also I'm finding it very difficult to push this cpu to even 3ghz via the Base Clock without the board failing to post or windows failing to boot. Even bumping the VCore to 1.375v, the QPI to 1.3v and the RAM to 1.65v, the overclock is real flaky at best. So what I'm I missing here? I'm kinda new to this sort of thing but would a beefier PSU, Better Air (or maybe water) cooling help, Maybe a clean install of windows, Did I change the wrong settings in the bios, not enough settings changed, or is this i7 920 on its last legs and should just be left alone at stock settings (hoping thats not the case).

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Last edited by rollergold on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: i7 920 Questions and Concerns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:55 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Nice build, it sure was the cat's meow back in the Nehalem days! Whew...does time ever fly! Okay, now onto your OC issue...

Begin by going into the bios and changing your voltage to your vid and setting qpi/uncore (vtt) to 1.25 (I have raised this due to concerns about droop at 1.2) and vdimm to 1.65 (Most boards can't do this 1.66 is safe, ignore your spaz bios warnings; you are not going to explode anything, although if you do, it's not my fault. Set it to 1.64 if it helps you sleep easier. I recommend at this point to be working with either the 21x multiplier if possible in order to keep your ram as much out of the equation as possible. 20X has known problems and 19x will land you with high ram speeds quicker which will require raises in the qpi/uncore voltage sooner. Now open up real temp and run prime 95 with 8 threads and check stability for an hour at least (The more the better. I recommend overnight just to make sure all is good). Record your settings on a piece of paper or email them to yourself. Make sure to have realtemp open in order to watch your temperatures. Temperatures should not exceed 80-85 during prime. During normal use for extended periods, they should never see these kinds of temperatures. I like to keep mine below 70 for normal usage. After its stable go into the bios and increase the bclk by 10 and repeat the process. Find the max bclk for your stock vid (or any voltage, if you'd like by lowering by smaller amounts when you find an unstable clock. This will help you know what you can run at any given voltage.

Another method, let's call it the quick and dirty method for 4ghz screwing efficiency...

Set your ioh and ich to 1.2, your vdimm to 1.65, your cpu pll to 1.88, and your qpi/uncore to 1.35.
For D0 users set your vcore to 1.275 and for c0/c1 users set your vcore to 1.4 Bclk to 190/191 or 210/211 and multiplier to 21 and 19 respectively. Check for prime stability. D0s should be fine, but c0/c1 still may not make it, at this point your temps may be too high if you're not on water so I suggest you start working backward in order to hit a much lower vcore or use method 3.

Or a third method that works is via vcore boosting...
Set your ioh and ich to 1.2, your vdimm to 1.65, your cpu pll to 1.88, and your qpi/uncore to 1.35. Set Bclk to 190/191 or 210/211 and multiplier to 21 and 19 respectively. The d0 chip usually hits 4.0 in the vcore range of 1.175 and 1.25 try those voltages until you find whats right for your chip. The c0/c1 is a much more difficult beast with a much larger range of 1.27 to around 1.4 and up to 1.5 (Do not attempt on air unless you live somewhere really, really cold). Some may not hit 4ghz at all. This method is more difficult as some i920 chips may not boot until you give them the proper vcore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
Nice build, it sure was the cat's meow back in the Nehalem days! Whew...does time ever fly! Okay, now onto your OC issue...

Begin by going into the bios and changing your voltage to your vid and setting qpi/uncore (vtt) to 1.25 (I have raised this due to concerns about droop at 1.2) and vdimm to 1.65 (Most boards can't do this 1.66 is safe, ignore your spaz bios warnings; you are not going to explode anything, although if you do, it's not my fault. Set it to 1.64 if it helps you sleep easier. I recommend at this point to be working with either the 21x multiplier if possible in order to keep your ram as much out of the equation as possible. 20X has known problems and 19x will land you with high ram speeds quicker which will require raises in the qpi/uncore voltage sooner. Now open up real temp and run prime 95 with 8 threads and check stability for an hour at least (The more the better. I recommend overnight just to make sure all is good). Record your settings on a piece of paper or email them to yourself. Make sure to have realtemp open in order to watch your temperatures. Temperatures should not exceed 80-85 during prime. During normal use for extended periods, they should never see these kinds of temperatures. I like to keep mine below 70 for normal usage. After its stable go into the bios and increase the bclk by 10 and repeat the process. Find the max bclk for your stock vid (or any voltage, if you'd like by lowering by smaller amounts when you find an unstable clock. This will help you know what you can run at any given voltage.

Another method, let's call it the quick and dirty method for 4ghz screwing efficiency...

Set your ioh and ich to 1.2, your vdimm to 1.65, your cpu pll to 1.88, and your qpi/uncore to 1.35.
For D0 users set your vcore to 1.275 and for c0/c1 users set your vcore to 1.4 Bclk to 190/191 or 210/211 and multiplier to 21 and 19 respectively. Check for prime stability. D0s should be fine, but c0/c1 still may not make it, at this point your temps may be too high if you're not on water so I suggest you start working backward in order to hit a much lower vcore or use method 3.

Or a third method that works is via vcore boosting...
Set your ioh and ich to 1.2, your vdimm to 1.65, your cpu pll to 1.88, and your qpi/uncore to 1.35. Set Bclk to 190/191 or 210/211 and multiplier to 21 and 19 respectively. The d0 chip usually hits 4.0 in the vcore range of 1.175 and 1.25 try those voltages until you find whats right for your chip. The c0/c1 is a much more difficult beast with a much larger range of 1.27 to around 1.4 and up to 1.5 (Do not attempt on air unless you live somewhere really, really cold). Some may not hit 4ghz at all. This method is more difficult as some i920 chips may not boot until you give them the proper vcore.
Ok Thanks for the Info and according to CPU-Z my 920 is a D0 chip (updated first post with that) oh and I live in Calgary Canada, cold but maybe not cold enough xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:00 am 

One more thing to add on.
I got to 4.01ghz (211x19) but with a Corsair H100 in a Push Pull temps still Hover right under 80C At load. Is that normal or even OK?
Vcore is 1.415, QPI/VTT is 1.515 and IOH + ICH is at 1.300v. Load Line Cal is on, Turbo Boost is off. All other settings are set to stock (auto)

PS. 21x doesn't want to stick as it likes to default back to 20x when I login to windows so I'm using 19x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kleinkinstein, I know I am kinda hijacking the thread but will these steps work with the i7 930, and if not do you have any tips for the 930?