Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fractal Design Define R3 Case Mod Project
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

This case mod project is "MAYHEM" and inspired by Codemasters’ new DIRT spin-off racing game for AMD Giveaway on facebook.

I'll be modifying Fractal-Design's Artic White" Define R3 mid tower. This is my 4th time modding a Fractal-Design case. I really like the overall craftsmanship of their cases and their prices are easy on the wallet.

The "Dirt Showdown" PC will be powered by an AMD 8-core FX-8150 3.6GHz processor

It will be cooled with AMD's new Liquid CPU Cooler. Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 and Pure Black 990FX motherboard. 16GB of AMD "Performance Edition" Memory DDR3

First step I made was modifying the front door of the DefineR3 for an intake grill that looks very aggressive like the modified Derby cars. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut rectangular opening in bezel door.

Expanded Steel for the front grill was bent in bench vise.

Let's test fit the grill before making final adjustments.

The front grill fits perfectly. It will be epoxied onto the back side of the door, once the door is repainted.

I love the night driving stages of the game, which gave me idea of implementing mini halogen projector lights, that will reside behind the front grill.

1.5W Pair High Power LED "Eagle Eye" White Lamps. Power: 1.5W X 2, 110LM, 8000-10000K are available on Ebay in the states [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5W-Pair-High-Power-LED-Eagle-Eye-Rear-Back-Up-Reverse-Tail-Lamp-Light-White-/120868574523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2454153b"]here[/url]

I fabricated mounting plates for the Mini Projectors located onto the edge of the Define R3 front bezel.

Mini Projectors behind the Expanded metal front grill.

[url="http://www.mnpctech.com/TurbineFanMod.html"]120mm Turbine Fans[/url] with [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Overkill_Fan_Grills.html"]machined aluminum "Overkill" 120mm Fan Grill Rings[/url]

The Turbine fans measure 120mm x 25mm. The frame is machined aluminum that has been polished. The plastic fan blades are electroplated chrome. The fan is rated at 2000 rpm with 79.4 cfm and 30 dBA.

To emulate the look of an engine inside the PC. Each side panel will utilize K&N single carburetor covers. A 92mm cooling fan will reside in each cover. The dense filter inserts will be removed from each cover and replaced with Round [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html"]Modders Mesh[/url] for maximum airflow.

Using Tin Snip to cut the Round [url="http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html"]Modders Mesh[/url] for each of the K&N air intake covers.

The K&N filter covers were modified for 92mm intake cooling fans.

[img]img%20src="http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/amd_codemasters_dirt_showdown_gaming_pc_case_mod_amd_cooler_FX_radeon_fractal_design_92mm_scoop2.jpg[/img]

Drawing out the window design on the Define R3 side panel.

Customized Define R3 side panel with K&N intake.

All of the chassis modifications are made before sending it to paint booth for "House of Kolor" brand Tangelo Metal Flake Orange paint.

Carbon Fiber Tachometer Tach 8k shift light rpm 3-3/4", this was purchased on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Tachometer-Tach-8k-shift-light-rpm-3-3-4-350Z-300ZX-SR20-KA24-CA18-/150808138419?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231cdd92b3

Vernon Gibson (aka Twizted) This is Twizted's drawing for the new Data Activity Tachometer circuit board.

[YOUTUBE]YCLiDS2rMpA[/YOUTUBE]

Video clip of Vernon testing an Arduino micro controller to sequence 24 LED's connected to two MCP23017 via I2C. <em>"For about the first 1/4 to 1/3 it ramps up slightly slower then from there up to around 2/3 to 3/4 of the scale it goes slightly faster than the first bit and finally the last of it up to 100% goes just slightly faster than the midway speed.

Custom pcb made by Twizted for "Tachdunio" HDD activity meter that will be mounted on top of the PC.

Here is the Tachometer in it's current state with all of the LEDS installed.

[youtube]i2Re-85lW0g[/youtube]

Next step is custom painting the face!

I used a Dremel and Jigsaw to remove the factory grill perforations for improving airflow.

Using Measuring Square to center the location of the 280mm fan/radiator grill, then trace the hole locations with a pen.

I drilled the grill mounting holes before cutting outline for fan holes.

Using Dremel with reinforced cutting wheel to make initial cut before using the Jigsaw.

Using Jigsaw with 18TPI bi-metal cutting blade.

The perforated factory fan ventilation holes were removed to improve airflow and allow for 280 cooling fan / radiator grill.

The Toggle switch for the carry handle has a Red LED for Power On. This will be used for the mini Halogen lights.

Wiring diagram for Toggle Switch with LED. You can use this switch to power on any accessory in your PC like cooling fans or lights.

Toggle switch is installed and tested.

Top carry handle...

The top carry handle was fabricated and welded from 1/2" square Steel tubing.

The HD activity tachometer will be located in front of the top carry handle.

The next stages include velocity stack style fan grills, installing the Tachometer, custom paint, airbrushing, and installing the system.

Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Define R3 Case Mod Project
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:38 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I will knick 'n scuff up everything appropriately. Watching the Dirt Showdown trailers have spawned a lot of Hot Rod inspired aesthetics for this PC. I love seeing Velocity stacks used on carburetors. A Velocity stack is a trumpet-shaped device of differing lengths which is fitted to the air entry of an engine’s intake system, carburetor or fuel injection. I'm creating fan grills to emulate Velocity stacks.

I'm using Rheobus knobs to emulate the fuel line connectors.

I'm creating fuel connector mount from the corner of a 120mm fan. I used a jigsaw with 18 TPI bi-metal blade.

Faux fuel line connector base. The Rheobus knobs were bored out for 1/4" wire loom tubing.

Billet 120mm fan grill frame and 120mm Black acrylic honeycomb fan grill.

inserting 1/4" wire loom tubing in Velocity stacks

There will be two velocity stack grills mounted on the back of front turbine intake fans

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:38 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

concocted a custom paint mix cfor the Dirt PC. We've named it "Dirt Showdown Orange" It's a combination "House of Kolor" Kandy Orange with touch of Red over "House of Kolor" "Shimrin Metajuls" Gold Basecoat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:39 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

House of Kolor paint under the sunlight.... This is a Shimrin Metajuls Basecoat with Orange tangerine Kandy...

This stage was fun and easy! I've installed our polished Machined aluminum "Diamond Knurl" pc case feet which are made in HAAS cnc lathe.

The base diameter is 1- 3/4" with height of 1" to elevate the case for improved airflow beneath it.

For internal lighting, I've chosen installed Orange signal lights.

I added one of the factory cable grommet to the top, for all of the wires from Toggle Switch and CPU Load Tachometer. You can swivel and aim these Signal lights in whatever direction you like...

The signals I found are universal fit for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Quad ATV. Here is the Reseller link on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Velocity style cooling fans installed.

Signal lights aimed on the cooling fans.

The Tachometer shell is ready for circuit board...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I debated about what to do with the face of the tach. making fake increments is predictable, but realistic fire would be wild and fit the overall color theme.

realistic flames will be painted onto tachometer face... "CPU Overload!"

PC DVD artwork. You can see why I chose Orange and Black theme...

Define R3 bezel frame and front door were color coated and cleared last night... Top of Fractal-Design Define R3 bezel....

Little bit of Orange peel created by the clear.. This will be wetsanded and buffed out, same goes for all of the panels...before graphics are painted on them

Masked off the front grill....

Window panel...

Next stage is painting sponsor logos and "DiRT Showdown" graphic on the right panel. Then I'll assemble everything and hand paint illusion of scrapes and chips to fit the "Derby car" theme...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The sponsors graphics are created with a vinyl overlay, which is made with vinyl film plotter, the overlay is placed over the panel, so the open portion overlay is painted with Black enamel paint.

The Showdown graphic was done the same way, but in 3 different steps for Black, White and Yellow paint.

Graphics are finished... next step is using a small detail paint brush to add dirt specs around the graphics, and paint scuffs to the side panel.

Small detail paint brush with Black enamel paint...

The specs flow toward rear edge of the case to stimulate motion..

AMD logo was painted in top center of the bezel door to emulate a car emblem.

next step is clear coating the graphic, which requires clearing the entire panel.

Using large paint brush to create scuffed paint effect.. "Rubbin's Racin" :cool:

Using ripped Red Scotchbrite pad and Silver aluminum paint to create paint chips from graval..

Next step is clear coating over the panels and graphics, paint effects on the front intake grill, install window, K&N filter covers, sleeve and wire up all of the cooling fans, wire mini projector lights, install system...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:12 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Sheot...that's as good as respectable modding gets. Super job! Post a few pics of the final prize, inside and out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you, will do!!

I'll be sleeving cables today, all day probably...hehe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:37 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

as Brad buffed out clear coat yesterday, I started sleeving and wiring all of the lights and fans... should have that stage finished today with photo update

The color scheme has really grown on me..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Finished wiring mini headlight projector lights, and assemble the front bezel and door with "bruiser derby" front grill.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I love the scuffed paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How much did the repaint job cost you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

@kleinkinstein, No cost, other than time and supplies.

@Spider Monkey, Thank you, Good to hear from you too!

Finished the "DiRT Showdown" PC build with Fractal-design Define R3. The interior and exterior custom paint finish is a combination “House of Kolor” Kandy Orange with touch of Red over “House of Kolor” “Shimrin Metajuls” Gold Basecoat. Under the hood is Sapphire’s Radeon HD 7950 and Pure Black 990FX motherboard. 16GB of AMD “Performance Edition” DDR3. Keeping AMD’s 8-core FX-8150 3.6GHz processor cool while gaming is AMD’s new Liquid CPU Cooler. The cooling fans are 140mm and 120mm Xigamatek cooling fans with White LEDS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:27 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Awesome mod! So many nice details and oodles of creativity. Okay, now make me one - I want one!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:26 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you! Sorry, I never replicate anything, that way they have one-of-a-kind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:35 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Just a Heads up, The Deadline for entering the DiRT Showdown PC Giveaway is Midnight Tonight, CST, Central Standard Time...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mnpctechcom/148733308540715?sk=app_370166086361523

AMD Contest Terms & Conditions, http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/graphics/Pages/dirt-terms-and-conditions.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:46 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Congrats to Clint Bandura, who won the DiRT Showdown PC!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=305 ... nt_mention

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Okay, I'm itching to know...what is your next Define R3 mod idea?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I don't have another immediate Define R3 mod planned, sorry... Did you have something to suggest? :D