Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CPU Fan has trouble starting up
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

Good Evening,

I just put together a new PC and after quite a bit of hassle, it's complete. I originally planned on using the NZXT Havik 120 cooler, but I was only able to use 1 of 2 fans that came with it due to the other interfering with my RAM. So I decided to return it and make do with the stock Intel cooler that came with my i5-3570K.

When I turn the PC on, the cpu fan seems to struggle to turn on and stay on. For a good 20-30 seconds, the fan will spin about 1/4th of a turn and then stop. Then repeat that until finally kicking in and staying on. According to the temps in the BIOS, the CPU is around 36 degrees C when just idling. Is this a normal temperature?

And is my fan faulty / should I request a new one?

Thanks

FYI: Mobo is Asus P8Z77-V LK

Post subject: Re: CPU Fan has trouble starting up
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:35 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

RMA the fan.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:54 pm 

Nastyman wrote:
RMA the fan.

Nasty

Yeah, I figured I probably shouldn't go with that one. I'm not going to RMA it because that would require me to RMA my processor (since the fan came included), at least I think I would. So I'll just go ahead and order a new aftermarket one.

Any suggestions on a "thin" one? The RAM I bought (corsair Vengeance) sticks up pretty high so my previous one interfered with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Some HSF don't turn on until temp is over xx degrees. Check the owner's manual that came with your HSF. If SpeedStep is on, this may be normal operation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Some motherboards do not turn on the fans during the BIOS boot up. I have a couple of systems that behave exactly the way you describe. The CPU fan would be of concern if it drags or stops while the computer is operating. These systems I've had running for many months 24/7 and have no operational issues with the CPU fan while they are up and running. Only during the boot process do they wiggle a bit and then turn on. You might check with your motherboard manual or go to the motherboards manufacturing site to double check it's booting behavior.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 am 

Thanks for the responses.

I checked the mobo manual and didn't see anything definitive about whether or not the CPU fan cuts on only after reaching a certain temperature or step in the boot process.

However, I get a CPU Fan Error when booting, and have to press F1 in order to proceed. This probably means I should get a new fan? Or will this error appear since the fan is not starting automatically when the PC turns on?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:12 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Are you plugged into the CPU Fan header? There may be more than one fan connector on the motherboard. Fan error is caused by lack of a tach signal telling the BIOS the fan is working.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:23 am 

oldwizkid wrote:
Are you plugged into the CPU Fan header? There may be more than one fan connector on the motherboard. Fan error is caused by lack of a tach signal telling the BIOS the fan is working.

Yes, I'm plugged into the only CPU Fan header. There is 1 CPU and 3 chassis fan connections.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:43 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I never heard of a cpu fan not starting at top rpm when you first start the computer. That is when the cpu is really loaded down and creates a lot of heat immediately.

I would rma the fan. Call the cpu manufacture and tell them what is happening. I am sure they will just mail out a new fan not wanting the old one.

Nasty