Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intermittent network drops
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:08 pm 

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with this:

Over the past 10 months or so, my Comcast connection has been behaving strangely. It appears to drop without warning for about a second - less or more sometimes, but always brief - and then reconnect as though nothing happened. Because it picks right back up, it's taken me a while to realize there's a consistent problem. But this does happen often (15+ times per hour), and it interferes with things like Skype calls and some online games.

Like I said, often the outage is so brief that it just manifests as a bit of lag, or a "trouble with your connection" warning in Skype, but it's definitely happening and it's irritating.

I've swapped routers and also tried connecting directly to my cable modem. Comcast sent a guy out and he boosted my signal, but it didn't do anything.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Win7 x64/Core i7 2600/NetGear N600 router

Post subject: Re: Intermittent network drops
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:39 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you updated the firmware on your router? That fixes a lot of problems. It doesn't matter if it is new or not, they are always trying to make their product work optimal for you.

Make sure your firewall is letting every app through that you need on the internet.

Call Comcast and have them ping your modem. They should be able to tell you if your modem is having issues and needs to be replaced or if it is the router that is the problem. I did the above with Optonline and they were spot on. The modem had to be replaced and I did that, the problem still was at issue, so they pinged the modem again and it was ok but the router was having issues. I replace it and all has been well ever since.

There is always the possibility you have a virus playing with you. Update your anti-virus and do the long run. Get Malwarebytes, install it, update it and run it.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Take the free one, it works just fine.

Nasty