Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zywall USG 50 firewall
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:27 pm 

Hi,
I have a Zyxel USG 50 router, and I am seeking a way to configure its firewall so the PPTP services can pass through the firewall. If anyone is familiar with this router, will you please help me out on this issue? Thanks in advance.
Hieu Nguyen

Post subject: Re: Zywall USG 50 firewall
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am 

It's just a matter of forwarding port 1723. Also, your router must support GRE 47 (which is a TCP/IP protocol, not a port). GRE is not something you can control. Either your router supports it or it doesn't. Most modern routers do, but support by older routers varies. Usually if the router states it supports VPN pass-through, it means it supports GRE 47.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 am 

I got the port forwarding part down; however, the firewall still dropped traffic from PPTP server--Zywall--PPTP client by default which mean I need to configure the firewall rule somehow to allow the traffic going through. By the way, by default PPTP client--Zywall--PPTP server traffic automatically pass through. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 am 

I don't know what that additional change to the firewall would be. I've accessed a Microsoft PPTP server behind my own firewall many times, and the only thing I need to do is forward port 1723. Nothing else. Fortunately I use dd-wrt, so it's easy for me to enable router logging when things don't work as expected and determine if the request is even getting to the router, or being rejected/dropped by the firewall, etc. Not sure what options your Zyxel has in this regard.

Are you sure the firewall is dropping it, or are you just assuming this is happening? How are you testing it? Hopefully from OUTSIDE your own network and not as a loopback (from inside your network, out the router and back). Some routers don't support this, you MUST test it from OUTSIDE your network!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm 

I did test it by using an outside network and checked its log so I am pretty sure traffics were dropped by the firewall. This router is a little different than others that I have been using (still in learning process for this router), but it has great security features
(only thing I like about it). I'll do some more research on it :). Thanks for your help :)