Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can Windows 8 BETA get any worse? YES IT CAN & DID...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

So I downloaded & installed the newest preview - "Release Preview" (released May 31st) expecting things to be a little better than the previous "Customer Preview" release launched in February. I mean really, how can you possibly get worse than the Customer Preview version :?:

Well Microsoft found a way. :cry: Gone is the best part of the Customer Preview (CP from here on out), Pinball FX-2 :evil: In it's place is instability. Despite all my miss-givings from CP, I never had a lick of trouble stability wise. Sure I changed settings that caused instability in it, but it was stuff I did, not the Windows build itself.

I've had a bunch of stability problems with Release Preview (RP from here on out) & there have already been critical patches released to address some of these problems. Some drivers that worked just fine in CP won't install in RP without installing under Windows 7 compatibility mode, & even then they don't work right.

Programs as well... I installed the PowerDVD Suite that came with my Blu-Ray Burner. It worked flawlessly in CP with just the standard install. However in the RP I cannot watch a Blu-Ray movie. The "loading Blu-Ray" message gets to about 70% then I get a message about PowerDVD being at risk & it stops loading. After failing to get any Blu-Ray disc's to play, I put the Dark Knight DVD in the drive just so I could watch a freakin movie & the computer locked up for about 5 minutes then rebooted.

At this rate, I don't see how Microsoft can possibly make their internal RTM deadline.

IMO, Microsoft has flung the doors wide open for someone else to waltz in & steal a big chunk their desktop OS market share.

EDIT: New Discovery... With Apple iPad connected via USB, Computer fails to boot into Windows 8 RP. :evil:

Last edited by chaosdsm on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Can Windows 8 BETA get any worse? YES IT CAN.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:44 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Honestly, at this rate, I don't see how they can have Windows 8 on store shelves before the end of the year & even if they did, there's no way on Earth I'd be touching it till after SP1 is released. Windows 7 64bit drivers that worked just fine with Windows 8 Customer Preview just aren't working with Windows 8 Release Preview, motherboard drivers at that, specifically AHCI & RAID drivers. 3 reinstalls later & I've happily given up on Windows 8, and am back on Windows 7 Pro.

So far the instability seems to be 100% within Windows 8 Release Preview as evidenced by the fact that both Windows 7 Pro & Windows 8 Customer Preview provide better performance and do not randomly fail to read the RAID-0 at boot.

Post subject: Re: Can Windows 8 BETA get any worse? YES IT CAN & DID...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Raid? Funny, I don't think Win8 cares all too much about Raid. Seems to me the new OS is love struck and only has eyes for the tablet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

I used it for a few days but didn't think about viewing a movie. If I did I would just let windows do it. It seemed to work OK after I got over the shock of not knowing what to do with it. I had to ask for help just to shut it down. I will not be buying it. I wouldn't even steal it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Chaos wrote:
I've had a bunch of stability problems with Release Preview (RP from here on out) & there have already been critical patches released to address some of these problems. Some drivers that worked just fine in CP won't install in RP without installing under Windows 7 compatibility mode, & even then they don't work right.

This is going to sound wrong, but I am so happy to hear you are having problems! :)

I just built a new computer so I could test Win8 and it is constantly crashing. And like you, I set up a RAID 0 and half the time it automatically reboots it can't read the RAID drive. I was worried it was one of my components (or possibly the RAID); I was actually getting ready to post a question to the forum when I saw yours and thought I'd read it.

Luckily, I do have a Win7 OS to install, so I guess that's the next step.

Sorry (and happy too) to hear about your issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

btdog wrote:
Chaos wrote:

This is going to sound wrong, but I am so happy to hear you are having problems! :)

I just built a new computer so I could test Win8 and it is constantly crashing. And like you, I set up a RAID 0 and half the time it automatically reboots it can't read the RAID drive. I was worried it was one of my components (or possibly the RAID); I was actually getting ready to post a question to the forum when I saw yours and thought I'd read it.

Luckily, I do have a Win7 OS to install, so I guess that's the next step.

Sorry (and happy too) to hear about your issues.

Well, at least it's not just me :P :lol: :lol:

If it was still available, I'd say to give the Customer Preview version a try, but Microsoft took it down when the put Release Preview up.