Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is the difference between windows os and apple os?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am 

Hello,

What is the difference between windows operating system and apple operating system?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: What is the difference between windows os and apple os?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Nothing more than the Windows operating system is based on the DOS programing language while Mac is based on Unix.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:
Nothing more than the Windows operating system is based on the DOS programing language while Mac is based on Unix.

What? There's no such thing as a "DOS programming language". And in fact, both the Windows NT kernel and Mac OS X Mach kernel are written in the same language.

On a high level, since Windows has the most market share, it's the most compatible OS in the world for the everyman use. In regards to the UI as a whole, Windows gives each application its own window to the fullest extent (I forget the technical term for this). But in short, the best way to describe Windows is being a jack of all trades OS, at least, out of the box.

Mac OS X however, is under a tighter control with Apple. This sacrifices flexibility in favor of a (Your millage may very) "better user experience". i.e., things should be more consistent and less prone to "WTFs". The UI as a whole is a document based approach. That is, you can think of the entire OS as a window, and the context changes based on which application has focus. The only cavaet with Apple is that they tend to stretch the truth a little (the "hundreds of 'new' features to the OS") , to outright lie (there are no malware for Macs, therefore, it's the 'safest' OS).

All in all, the overall differences is what you intend to do with it. Certain applications run on certain OS's, certain hardware only have drives for certain OS's. But generally, if you want more flexibility, use Windows. Linux would be the second considered option. A handful of applications you can run in the world run on Mac OS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quote:
i.e., things should be more consistent and less prone to "WTFs".

I recently had to finish an iMovie project on a Mac and it was full of WTF's. (Albeit, some were the falt of the non-techy people who started the project.) For instance, one of the persons moved the project file off of the desktop into a project folder. That was nice and all (the desktop was a complete disaster), but the problem was the file was open in iMovie at the time and the Mac FUCKING LET HER MOVE IT ANYWAY. The next day I came in and wondered why everytime I tried to import a movie i got "Unknown Error." (Yes, that's what it said. No code, nothing to help me troubleshoot it at all.) What. The. Fuck.

Yes, I know you said my mileage might vary, but seriously, what the hell?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 am 

They are visually completely different. Windows has it start button and desktop shortcuts. Apple has its launcher. Windows machines because they are made by so many vendors (Dell, Lenova, Hp and Acer) to name a few. All these vendors use components from vendors such as ( Seagate, ATI, Nvidia, Intel, maxtor, Sound Blaster) and need drivers to coommunicate with the OS. Apple has less driver issues because they control the components in the apple machine. One thing that has changed with Windows is Windows Mail client has been dropped and Windows Live Mail or other clients need to be downloaded and installed.