Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help me max my mobo, CPU has not reached its limit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 pm 

I have my Athlon 64 3200 (2.0GHz, 10x200, Abit AV8, 1.575V) running at 2.55GHz (255x10), with total stability. Memory is rated for DDR466, running at 466 (but it actually maxes at around 433). When i raise my voltage to 1.6V, and 2.6GHz, the system crashes. I have locked the PCI/AGP speeds to 33/66. I have 5 HDDs, 2 on a PCI RAID card, 2 on onboard SATA, powered by sililcon image, and 1 on IDE (winXP on IDE), as well as 2 optical drives on 1 IDE chain.

The system performs just fine at 2.55, but as soon as i raise it to 2.57, along with a voltage increase to 1.600, crashes abound (i use 3DMark05 and aquamark to test stability).

My videocard is not OCd at all...

I think that my CPU has not yet reached its limit, but the mobo has. Or perhaps does my CPU simply not like higher FSB, but clock speed is ok?

Abit motherboards have many controls regarding voltages, including NB, SB, HT, and AGP, but i keep them all at default, which actually is a little above spec (1.55, 2.55, 1.25, and 1.55, respectively). I have tried tweaking each voltage, but to no avail...

Any tips on how to push my mobo or FSB farther? The multiplier is locked at a max of 10. I actually tried it out at 265x9, and it crashed.

Notes:
DDR is 2.8V, rated for DDR433. I decrease to around DDR350 during actual testing, for raised FSB. Memory is not the problem.
Does the IDE of the Abit AV8 go straight to the NB, instead of the SB? If so, could it be that when the NB clock goes up, it corrupts requests from the HD? Can i fix this?
Also, i have the new winchester core, 90nm, on socket 939

Any help greatly appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well, i am not experenced in overclocking but any troble you may be having is most likly due to S-ata hds or the memory, it mite be rated for a certan point but mite not have any movment upwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:33 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

What's the wattage of your power supply? I saw a notable (300+mhz) increase in my overclocked 2.8c when I switched from a 350w antec to a 550w antec. Seeing that you have 5 hdd's and 2 optical drives, this might be your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:47 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i think your darn close to hitting the peak of the CPU. you've got a 25% overclock which is pretty good. what kind of colling situation are you in. if you really want to OC get a nice zalman cooler and replace the NB heasink with a befier one and make sure your memory has heatspreaders and make sure the rest of your case has excellent airflow. any reason you think that its the board holding you back and not the CPU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:44 pm 

I have a ThermalTake 480W Silent PurePower (Brand new). I had a Generic 420W before, which did just fine. I replaced it about a month ago just to be safe (and because the LEDs were damn annoying).

I have a ThermalTake PIPE101, and ThermalTake SilentCat 92mm fan. (Can you tell i trust thermaltake?). My temps are actually high, but I'm positive that the temps arent a problem. with 1.575, I idle around 48-50C. Load is around 65-67C. I realize that these temps are pretty high for an A64, but i have extensively tested temps on this specific CPU, and it can take up to around 78C before the damn mobo starts beeping from Abit temp EQ. Around this temp, i start to get worried, regardless of evident stability ;) I think the CPU can tolerate even higher temps, but I dont feel the need to endanger either it or the system through pointless "peak" tests.

Currently, I have taken to testing the system with an open case (Silverstone TJ06, without wind tunnel), and have plenty of circulation.

Basically,
I'm pretty sure its not power (unless the thermaltake purepower has a reputation as an unreliable PSU; I wish MPC would had included it in the recent PSU roundup...)
I'm also pretty sure temps aren't the problem. I get plenty of circulation, and I know the limits of my CPU.
To recap my initial post, i believe that my mobo is the limiting factor in my OC, and that my CPU still has some potential to show. I think the mobo just cant take the FSB, because even at a lower clock speed with higher FSB, the system fails. Memory is underclocked for testing, but is rated for around DDR433.
Perhaps the CPU doesnt like FSB, but can take clock?
Does anyone know any ways to increase multiplier? Its factory locked, so i dont think its possible...

One last clue:
When i run a simple stability test, such as the burnin suite of Sandra 2004, the system is fine. It is only in full system tests, such as a 3D app, that failure occurs. Again, video card is not OCd, and PCI/AGP is locked. This suggests failure of the northbridge to me. I have tried tweaking NB voltage, but it doesnt matter.