Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what do you think of Win8 Consumer Preview?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:02 am 

I installed it on a seperate partition tryed it out and i dont like it a bit. dose anyone like it?

Post subject: Re: what do you think of Win8 Consumer Preview?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Bootstritty wrote:
I installed it on a seperate partition tryed it out and i dont like it a bit. dose anyone like it?

The CP didn't really mean much, it was basically a 'rough draft' sent out to get some gut reactions... and from what I read, the new "Release Preview" posted Thursday is not complete either. Haven't had a chance to try the RP yet.

As I understand it the final version of Windows 8 will have Aero Glass completely stripped out of it. If that means we have the option of going back to an XP style interface, I'm fine with that, but if that means we're stuck with Metro regardless of whether we're using a smart phone, mobile computer, or PC... well then I've got two fingers pointed at Bill Gates Is My Daddy :wink:

Basically, CP was a "here's an idea we have" while RP is "here's what we've done, but we're holding a couple things back"

BTW... here's an earlier thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138110

Last edited by chaosdsm on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 am 

chaosdsm wrote:
Bootstritty wrote:

The CP didn't really mean much, it was basically a 'rough draft' sent out to get some gut reactions... and from what I read, the new "Release Preview" posted Thursday is not complete either. Haven't had a chance to try the RP yet.

As I understand it the final version of Windows 8 will have Aero completely stripped out of it. If that means we have the option of going back to an XP style interface, I'm fine with that, but if that means we're stuck with Metro regardless of whether we're using a smart phone, mobile computer, or PC... well then I've got two fingers pointed at Bill Gates Is My Daddy :wink:

Basically, CP was a "here's an idea we have" while RP is "here's what we've done, but we're holding a couple things back"

BTW... here's an earlier thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138110

this a RP not a RC or RTM it still sucks in all ways. I have a PC not a smart phone or tablet long live Win7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:38 am 

this is Max PC ....No where is Gordon? i would like is 2cets on this

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:41 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Gordon Mah Ung? He gave his two cents in the June issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Bootstritty wrote:
this a RP not a RC or RTM it still sucks in all ways. I have a PC not a smart phone or tablet long live Win7

It sounds like you're using "Consumer Preview" and "Release Preview" as one in the same, but Consumer Preview and Release Preview are completely different. Consumer Preview was released in February, Release Preview was released 3 days ago. It's the final preview before RTM.

If we were to look at the Windows 8 BETA like past BETA versions of Windows, Consumer Preview = final BETA before Release Candidate 1, while Release Preview = Release Candidate 1.

My source indicates RTM is less than 2 months away & with Retail Launch 3 months later, which does not allow for an RC2. Any last minute bugs, minor or major(non-critical), will have to be fixed later through patches & service packs. Any critical bugs will either be overlooked, or will push the Retail Launch date backwords which could be costly......

Mac's are looking more & more appealing every day despite their over-priced hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 am 

When I first read windows 8 here http://www.techyv.com/questions/where-d ... al-edition I was shocked because of its features. Especially the UI, but I guess the user interface is okay after actual use. Metro UI of Win 8 is great once you get the hang of it. It acts like the "Start" button of Windows 8 and through it, you can go to your desktop which is reminiscent of the other windows version desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:16 pm 

I could not find the shutdown or restart butten

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:30 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Bootstritty wrote:

Mouse over to bottom Right corner, or use keyboard short-cut AltF4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Bootstritty wrote:

If you can get the side-pane to open up, select Settings and within the submenu is the option to shut down. Not very intuitive (to me at least), but that's where I think Microsoft will tell you to find it.

Few things:
*Should I be using Win 7 drivers? I just built a new computer and installed it using Win 7 drivers...every single driver install ended with the computer freezing or crashing/rebooting.

*I've only used it for about 30 minutes (between the aforementioned crashes)...but it's been a very weird experience. Parts of it are more "basic" and I believe are meant to be more user friendly. To me, it seems more "dumbed down", but I can see where Microsoft is trying to compete with Apple. On the flip side, some of the functions are extremely convoluted and not very intuitive. Case in point, shutting down is one; getting that blasted side-pane window to pop up is another. Holy crap! I "know" I have to trigger it by going to the top right corner and I'm still having a heck of a time getting it to work.

*I'm not a big fan of the logging in. I understand some of the rationalization behind it (and the privacy concerns), but I'm not sure logging into your "own" computer helps the situation. If my computer is hacked, logging in doesn't help (because I was probably logged in when it was hacked). If I'm living with people and I don't want them to see "what I'm doing," then I'm either doing something I shouldn't...OR...I'm living with the wrong people (and in this case, it should be an option not a requirement). Finally, I don't have to "log in" to use my TV, car, radio, or refrigerator - I want to be able to hit the power button and start using my device. It's that simple.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Don't just move into the top right corner, you're supposed to slide down the right side. Remember, MS thinks your computer should have a touch screen and that your mouse is a worthless pile of crap.

As for logging in, I use separate user accounts for everyone in my family so that we can all have our own settings and so I can keep admin rights away from people who can't handle it(saved me a few viruses here and there). I see your point though. Is there really no way to have Windows 8 automatically log someone in?