Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:31 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The sheen of the antistatic baggies is what gets me. Not so much the smell, but the darkened, tinted view of you're new hardware safely sheathed in its protective bag.

(Like a condom!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You can purchase air freshener that has the new car smell. Used car dealers have used it for years.

Now what we need is new computer hardware smell. They could come in those canisters that plug into an electrical outlet. We could even have smell-o-vision software for our USB connected dispenser boxes that releases different odors as a part of the new Windows Vista OS. Imagine the smell of burnt hardware to accompany a BSOD. The possibilities are endless! :lol:

willah wrote:
The sheen of the antistatic baggies is what gets me. Not so much the smell, but the darkened, tinted view of you're new hardware safely sheathed in its protective bag.

(Like a condom!)

Let's not go there, shall we? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

SpazzAttack wrote:
You can purchase air freshener that has the new car smell. Used car dealers have used it for years.

Now what we need is new computer hardware smell. They could come in those canisters that plug into an electrical outlet. We could even have smell-o-vision software for our USB connected dispenser boxes that releases different odors as a part of the new Windows Vista OS. Imagine the smell of burnt hardware to accompany a BSOD. The possibilities are endless! :lol:

Spazz, you are a genious. New hardware smell all the time. I love it. Also the burnt hardware smell to accompany the BSOD is an awesome idea, especially for noobs. Finally they may get the message that something is wrong with their PC.

Last edited by Brentium4 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
Brentium4 wrote:
SpazzAttack wrote:

Spazz, you are a genious. New hardware small all the time. I love it. Also the burnt hardware smell to accompany the BSOD is an awesome idea, especially for noobs. Finally they may get the message that something is wrong with their PC.

The possibilites with USB and FireWire devices range from digital camera connections to coffee mug heaters! Why not? I think the smell of computers in my home would be better than the flower scents.

WAIT! Computer air freshener in the BATHROOM! A man's solitude place. After your done, you fell even better with the smell of new PCB! That way you only get a fix everytime you visit the bathroom and you don't get accustomed to the smell so well, like the odor in your house.

Come on Thinkgeek.com! I patented it here first! WHAMM! Copyrighted! WHAMM! Noterized! Yeah...

I need Mountain Dew...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

SpazzAttack wrote:

...USB... universal indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

SpazzAttack wrote:

willah wrote:

(Like a condom!)

Let's not go there, shall we? :oops:

noo-- that would just ruin the smell itself. If you packaged the smell in plug-it-ins so that you would always smell it, eventually you wouldn't smell it at all. Its like cologne-- you know its on you, and you know others smell it, but you can't smell a thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Good point neel360, I hadn't thought of the cologne aspect of making new hardware smell into plug-in fresheners. Hmm well there has to be a happy balance in there somewhere.

I guess the only thing to do right now is to go to my local computer store. Snifff...

Post subject: Re: The Smell of new hardware...
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just saw this post and it made me chuckle. I have just rebuilt my PC with a Sandy Bridge proc etc. and the smell of new H/W has been all over my house for the last week. Oh how I've missed it.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

lol~ so... I'm not the only one who love the smell of hw...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:18 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Seven years? This may be an all-time necropost record.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:30 am 

SpazzAttack wrote:

Ha, never knew that. Slightly interesting fact that I'll probably bring up at some point when I'm with my friends ;p
But yes, the person that invents the new hardware air freshener is going to make his money's worth ;) Make a project on kick-starter to get it started!

PS: How the heck do they get a new car smell into a fragrance? What crazy combination of chemicals would achieve that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

OvenMaster wrote:
Seven years? This may be an all-time necropost record.

Excellent! I don't think I've ever set a record for anything. I'll take it, although I don't think the post was dead. It was just waiting to be...refreshed, you know sort of like Febreze.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

tomriddle wrote:
SpazzAttack wrote:

Ha, never knew that. Slightly interesting fact that I'll probably bring up at some point when I'm with my friends ;p
But yes, the person that invents the new hardware air freshener is going to make his money's worth ;) Make a project on kick-starter to get it started!

PS: How the heck do they get a new car smell into a fragrance? What crazy combination of chemicals would achieve that...

Agreeed Tom.

Also, I really don't know how they make that new car smell fragrance, its probably bad for you though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Actually, looks like the real new car smell could be bad for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I found other posts about new hardware smell:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1564380

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1066374

http://www.geekosystem.com/apple-cologne/