Finally getting visible progress on these cases.
Working on the Trooper helmet for the side panel. Cutting some acrylic pieces to make up the frame.
Here they are assembled and glued together.
Using expandable foam to fill the spaces in between.
Once cured, I trimmed it down to the framing.
A quick trip to the hardware store to pick up some helmet parts lol.
I cut up the washer drain hose and fit the pvc elbows and barbs on each end to create the air supply lines.
Next I'll be covering the whole thing with plastic resin to bring the whole thing together. Hopefully take care of that this weekend.
I also got started on the holo emitter that will be mounted on the front of the cases. I designed it up in Illustrator, then had the parts cut.
I was happy to find that my measuring was good and all the pieces fit together. woot!
And it actually fit perfectly into the front bays.
Now here's the cool part, covered in awesome sauce: In order to re-create the holograms as seen in the game, I knew that mere 2D etching wouldn't be enough, so I had these 3D etches made up. And they turned out awesome! The images are not etched on the surface. They are actually inside the blocks.
You can see the characters a lot better lit up, but it still doesn't do it justice. I will have to take some video and pan around them so you can see the depth.
I had to see how they looked in the case on the holo emitter. I'll be wiring up some leds to light these things from below which should complete the effect I was going for.