Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 am 

I will only speak for myself. I cheat a lot in single player games, and hell, I'll tell you why.

My basic philosophy of gaming is that it's to entertain me. If I leave frustrated and pissed, then that's bad news.

So let's say I start a game. I see a game with a list of stats and a lot of numbers and I get a level up for skill points. I think to myself, "well this is okay, but I really want that skill and I don't want to wait", then I bust open artmoney and start adding things, all the while thinking to myself "it won't be that easy. In fact, it probably just helps a little. There'll still be a challenge". More likely than not, I end up being wrong, and the game loses a lot of the challenge and I realize I kicked myself in the back by ruining the experience.

I add money cheats because I'm impatient and I don't want to grind, and though I cheat with skillpoints, I'm more likely to cheat with money because I find it relatively harmless. In most games, money will not dramatically wreck the difficulty curve. For example, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light requires that I rack up over 1,000,000 experience requiring several playthroughs to unlock a costume, so I just artmoney it and I'm good. I never use god cheats/one-hit kill cheats because it will just too obviously kill the game. I don't cheat in puzzle games like Trine or Portal or other games with no RPG elements because it's just pointless. I don't cheat in online games because someone else loses out in a competitive match (it's not victimless and it's not fair), but I would be willing to cheat if it's cooperative vs environment.

I just have difficulty controlling my impulses enough to work for it, even if I know cheating will kind of ruin the experience for me.

Oh,and I edit my characters with feats because I want to make the perfect character, and unfortunately the perfect character requires more badassery than legally allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

When I play with others, I typically go with an honor system, kind of. I won't exploit glitches or cheats, but if there's something else that's just out there that would give any one of us a competitive edge, I'll use it (because it's the other person's fault for not taking advantage of it :P)

But otherwise, I'll only cheat when:
  • I've already played the game legitimately and want to play around
  • I don't have the patience for some things. Like in Sim City. There was only one time I played Sim City 4 legitimately. The rest I used a money trainer because I don't have the patience to sit around and build a metropolis and worry about the bottom line.
  • Related to the above, if doing something just makes my life easier. Like when I play Minecraft with my friend on survival, I cheated building materials and tools in. Yes I could play creative mode, but I didn't feel like it (plus it was fun when a Creeper explodes in your face).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

There may be a similarity between online game cheaters and vandals.

I live on a remote, narrow little country road on a short ridge in SW Washington state. I have a few neighbors, and we all love the peace and quiet up here.

But every weekend, someone drives through and throws litter all over the road, and not just tossing the usual cigarrette packs, beer bottles and fast food wrappers. They actually stop and deliberately smash a large number of glass bottles at various points along the road. A couple of us walk the road several times a week and clean up all of this debris, but it reappears every weekend. We are just resigned to it, but it's hard not to fantasize about catching those mutants on the wrong end of a 12-bore (maybe we could get a law like the one in Florida that has effectively decriminalized cold-blooded murder.)

The reality is: there are people out there (like the predictable 4% sociopaths), who are bored/frustrated with their lives, are serioulsy maladjusted, with screwed up self-images, and some that have a diagnosable mental illness. Since they don't have the imagination, intelligence or character to make a positive contribution to the world, they opt for making things difficult for others.

That's what you get with the general public.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm 

I like using cheat to make easier to play the game.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

michaeloktober wrote:
I like using cheat to make easier to play the game.

You fail at life.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm 

Suijen wrote:
I will only speak for myself. I cheat a lot in single player games, and hell, I'll tell you why.

My basic philosophy of gaming is that it's to entertain me. If I leave frustrated and pissed, then that's bad news.

So let's say I start a game. I see a game with a list of stats and a lot of numbers and I get a level up for skill points. I think to myself, "well this is okay, but I really want that skill and I don't want to wait", then I bust open artmoney and start adding things, all the while thinking to myself "it won't be that easy. In fact, it probably just helps a little. There'll still be a challenge". More likely than not, I end up being wrong, and the game loses a lot of the challenge and I realize I kicked myself in the back by ruining the experience.

I add money cheats because I'm impatient and I don't want to grind, and though I cheat with skillpoints, I'm more likely to cheat with money because I find it relatively harmless. In most games, money will not dramatically wreck the difficulty curve. For example, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light requires that I rack up over 1,000,000 experience requiring several playthroughs to unlock a costume, so I just artmoney it and I'm good. I never use god cheats/one-hit kill cheats because it will just too obviously kill the game. I don't cheat in puzzle games like Trine or Portal or other games with no RPG elements because it's just pointless. I don't cheat in online games because someone else loses out in a competitive match (it's not victimless and it's not fair), but I would be willing to cheat if it's cooperative vs environment.

I just have difficulty controlling my impulses enough to work for it, even if I know cheating will kind of ruin the experience for me.

Oh,and I edit my characters with feats because I want to make the perfect character, and unfortunately the perfect character requires more badassery than legally allowed.

Honestly I agree 100%. Single players games are fine in my eyes.. I'm not ruining anyone elses experience. It's fun to modify your own character and be super beast.

When it comes to online gaming, I don't cheat often. Like mentioned before, If I find a glitch, I will indeed exploit the hell out of it. It's not the gamers fault. It's the programmers fault for letting it slip. We could go round n round about this discussion. But it basically boils down to is.. you either A) do it and like it, or B) you hate it and want to kill people for doing it.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

This is a "forever" post.

Some of us do not cheat [I hate online or MMO cheating].

Cheating may get worse. In the United States, students have been honored - for doing nothing or losing, akin to Obama getting a Nobel Prize - for doing nothing to deserve it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you want to get into undeserved Nobel prizes, you shoud start with Henry Kissinger.
Anyhow, the prize is and always has been political.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Unit52 wrote:
Anyhow, the prize is and always has been political.

Always?

Why, in your opinion, did Yeats win the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923? Which sinister political cabal was responsible for that?

Similarly, did Muller really deserve to win the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1946 for his work identifying radiation as a cause of mutations? I think it was a secret Nazi conspiracy, to be honest.

And don't even get me started on Mother Theresa's Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 .. that had to be political, right?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I know -- I should be careful about using words like "always" -- my bad :oops:
But when I think about Kissinger, my blood starts to boil :evil:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I feel the same way about Diefenbaker, bro. No worries.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Where is Granite Heaven ?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Unit52 wrote:
Where is Granite Heaven ?

Squamish, BC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ah, yes...another Pacific Northwest critter.
Something about mountains.
I once visited the Great Flatlands of the midwest,
and after a few days they almost had to put me in a rubber room.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Indeed.

I cannot live out of sight of the mountains.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
For the same reason people prefer to accept a welfare cheque than get a job .. it is easier.

Ha ha! That is a good one. You are right. There are always people taking the easy way out or in. Let them. We know better, don't we?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ditto. Maybe it's some sort of vestigial paleolithic hardwiring in some people, since mountainous terrain can make it easier to keep track of game herds down in the lower places (?), and to construct defensible strongholds against marauders ? But also the view of mountains gives you something to take your mind off other less inspiring things :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Unit52 wrote:
Ditto. Maybe it's some sort of vestigial paleolithic hardwiring in some people, since mountainous terrain can make it easier to keep track of game herds down in the lower places (?), and to construct defensible strongholds against marauders ? But also the view of mountains gives you something to take your mind off other less inspiring things :mrgreen: .

Actually, for me it is because the mountains are where I spend all of my free time. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:46 am 

Because the player look frustation and need help from some jerk how create the cheat

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 am 

andrian wrote:
Because the player look frustation and need help from some jerk how create the cheat

WTF did you just say???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next