Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Win 8 beta
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Can't you change the size of the printout in the Printer driver?

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Nah. No need! :D

Installing Works 6 on Win8 went without a hitch after setting up the VM to see both my Epson printer and my host box's optical D: drive. Firing up the Spreadsheet module puts up a message that says, "Works cannot complete the task. Try restarting Windows, or reinstalling Works", but clicking "OK" closes it and... voila!:

...and results in charts that print out just fine:
Image]

So if this works in Win8, I should have NO problems in Win7. :D
I've seen stuff on forums that say Nero 6 may or may not work in a similar fashion. If it does, wonderful! If not, I'll just put it in a VM like you suggest, Nasty.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I don't remember if win 8 has XP mode or not in the compatibility mode option. If it does you might try installing Nero using that option....it just may work. :)

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:19 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nastyman wrote:
I don't remember if win 8 has XP mode or not in the compatibility mode option. If it does you might try installing Nero using that option....it just may work. :)

Nasty

Yes it does, and it works better than it did in the beta version of Vista, and about the same as it does in Windows 7. I have software that's 10 years old & works flawlessly in Windows 7 & 8 without compatibility mode btw... The only program I had to use XP mode for was Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 which would not run in Vista's compatibility mode, but worked fine in Windows 7 under XP Compatibility mode. Though I've since moved up to Photoshop Elements 8.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Found an older 80gb SATA drive to put Win8 on. Reformated, made it a GPT drive and installed Win8.
Meh.....
Not impressed.
1. I would much rather have a Win7 style desktop than that Metro what-ever-it-is. I know that was developed more towards the tablets. Give me the option to use a Win7 style desktop and I might buy it. That due to the faster load times and the rumored better file system. (ReFS I believe.)
2. Without Metro I would hope to see a start menu similar to Win7.
3. Who came up with the idea to place the mouse pointer in a corner to be able to shutdown a program/app? Fire them. Better yet coordinate with NASA for them to be launched into space on a one way mission to Ceres.
Do you think I like it?
4. I do not know of anyone that is associated with IT in any capacity that will willingly change over to Win8 for their systems, server or otherwise. Unless, of course, they are masochistically incline. (I do know a few IT people. I used to work for Boeing. I have a good idea of what they like and this ain't it.)
5. I tried playing a FLAC music file with the media player and it couldn't. Not much of a surprise. Probably won't play OGG either.
6. The map program asked to mark my current location. I let it mark where it thought I was. It missed by only 20 or so miles. Tried to change it to where I actually am and couldn't find how to do so.

Pluses? Yes, there are, but not many as far as I can see.
1. Faster load time.
2. Native drivers that work with all the stuff I have in my computer that I actually tried. (I do have to admit that I didn't try very much of what I do have installed equipment wise.) It might be interesting to see if it could handle my ham radio programs. Didn't load them or try to run them from the other discs where they are installed.
3. Brought back pinball. (Yeah, that's a stretch for a plus but I ran out after two.)

Played with Win8 off and on for a couple of days. I've now reformatted that disc.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 pm 

I waited too long to try it. I was going to try developer version but few reviews on PCPRO stopped me that time but i couldn't stop myself to try consumer preview.
Well, it went well till now except of few things.
  • The sound: previously i was using win 7, in which i used to get better sound intensity, but i have to take close my ears to my laptop speakers to listen sometimes.
  • They have quite few networking options wrt win 7. it doesnt provide option to create ADHoc network. which i miss really bad.
  • As everyone said the start button. i also wondered few hours "where is start button?"
  • Also its dependency on the resolution most of the apps dont opens in resolution less than 1024 x 768 which really sucks some times.
Although Speed is good so far.
I hope the final release will be far better than this one.

Last edited by robjons21 on Sun May 20, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I tried both the Developer and Beta versions. When I loaded the Developers version and got rid of Metro, everything looked like Win 7, it was faster than win 7 and the only thing that irked me is I had to run the "fix" networking app to get on-line every-time I started Windows. I figured it was a glitch they would fix in the next version, they did but did a major screwup on everything else including the absence of the start orb and menus. I was actually ready to buy the win8 version until they released the Beta version...now I won't be buying it at all and to be honest, this looks to me like another Millennium debacle.

Nasty