Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I had a virus, will a system restore take care of it?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 am 

Hey everyone. Recently, about a week ago, i had a virus program that installed itself on my computer. With it taken care of, now im having internet problem where my internet options keep getting restored every time i open up a new browser. I was thinking maybe if i system restore my computer, itll fix the problem but before i had the virus. My question is, will the software virus come back if i do a system restore 2 or 3 weeks before the program installed itself? I tried restoring at the point before i deleted that program but after the day the program installed on my computer and it was there. I saved myself again by restoring back to the way i had it and now im afraid that it might come back even if i restore further back the day i saw the virus. Thanks Guys!

Post subject: Re: I had a virus, will a system restore take care of it?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

It might work, but that's not how I'd do it.
I'd run the AVG system rescue CD. In my experience, it has been very good at fixing problems.
On another PC, download the ISO and burn it to a cd using a program such as ImgBurn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:19 am 

Another good program to run is Anti Malware which is free.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

orlbuckeye wrote:
Another good program to run is Anti Malware which is free.

Depends on which one. the Norton one and the Kapersky one are paid, but Malwarebytes is free.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most likely no. Because if the main install is infected, the restore points are likely infected as well. Unless you know the time and date the virus was installed. Then you might be able to use a prior restore point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I have found and use three programs that I run in safe-mode with networking.

First I run Smitfraudfix then Combofix and last I install Malwarebytes (free version), update it and run it. These apps have not let me down yet.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... s/combofix

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Nastyman wrote:
I have found and use three programs that I run in safe-mode with networking.

First I run Smitfraudfix then Combofix and last I install Malwarebytes (free version), update it and run it. These apps have not let me down yet.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... s/combofix

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Nasty

Do this. Nasty knows his security.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I should mention that System Restore only affects programs that Windows is aware that were installed. Malware usually doesn't have any traces, akin if you just copied a program over without installing it. Windows isn't exactly aware of it and System Restore won't touch it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:53 am 

you should boot in safe mode without network - have downloaded lastest updated mallwarebytes from another computer and install it. Then run a scan, reboot, scan again, reboot and now if its a common problem, should be able to activate antivirus program again - remember to boot up in safemode without network because most of those evil programs are basically just money hunting programs that want you to pay for there so called "antivirus" program and without access to internet they are easy to remove.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

rosa_p_white wrote:
you should boot in safe mode without network - have downloaded lastest updated mallwarebytes from another computer and install it. Then run a scan, reboot, scan again, reboot and now if its a common problem, should be able to activate antivirus program again - remember to boot up in safemode without network because most of those evil programs are basically just money hunting programs that want you to pay for there so called "antivirus" program and without access to internet they are easy to remove.

Malwarebytes won't catch everything; Nasty's solution will catch more. Also, the OP never said he had one of the Fake AV trojans/malware. He just said that his internet settings kept resetting for no apparent reason.

You want your safe mode with networking, so your AV and AM programs can safely download the latest definitions and patches. Otherwise, you risk missing something. Besides, in Safe Mode, only essential functions run; everything else (such as both fake and real AV programs and your browser) must be activated by you.

Revive a month-old thread, shall we?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 am 

Jemshads wrote:
Hey everyone. Recently, about a week ago, i had a virus program that installed itself on my computer. With it taken care of, now im having internet problem where my internet options keep getting restored every time i open up a new browser. I was thinking maybe if i system restore my computer, itll fix the problem but before i had the virus. My question is, will the software virus come back if i do a system restore 2 or 3 weeks before the program installed itself? I tried restoring at the point before i deleted that program but after the day the program installed on my computer and it was there. I saved myself again by restoring back to the way i had it and now im afraid that it might come back even if i restore further back the day i saw the virus. Thanks Guys!

System restore will work if you restore to a point before you have the virus. If you went back past when you got the virus you should be ok unless you do the same thing again where you got the virus.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

orlbuckeye wrote:
Jemshads wrote:

System restore will work if you restore to a point before you have the virus. If you went back past when you got the virus you should be ok unless you do the same thing again where you got the virus.

Thank you for restating what we already said.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Again at the price of perpetuating a dead topic...

Any malware writer worth his salt will write his malware such that System Restore won't notice it. So no matter how far you roll back, you will not get rid of it. System restore is just to roll back system changes and installed programs that Windows is aware of. It will not touch any files or configurations that don't belong to either of the two.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

LatiosXT wrote:
Again at the price of perpetuating a dead topic...

Any malware writer worth his salt will write his malware such that System Restore won't notice it. So no matter how far you roll back, you will not get rid of it. System restore is just to roll back system changes and installed programs that Windows is aware of. It will not touch any files or configurations that don't belong to either of the two.

The point is there are system files that were burned. The point would be to restore those files to a pre-virus state.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

noghiri_x wrote:
The point is there are system files that were burned. The point would be to restore those files to a pre-virus state.

If the system files were burned by the virus and the virus was not removed from the hard drive, it'll just be burned again. Is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:09 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Just do as I suggested in the 6th post down and your pc will be fine.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 pm 

just install avira anti virus free version if you dont want to spend the money on it and scan your full pc it will remove your virus completly