Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Totally new to this stuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:41 am 

I am considering building a new computer from the ground up. The only apprehension I have is due to the fact that I've been out of the computer world for so long, that I don't even know where to start on the parts.

Can anyone out there send me a guide, or at least give me a few pointers as to what to invest in? I am looking to spend up to $650. Is it possible to build a computer for that price that will run the Witcher 2 incredibly well? If so, please leave me a list of components. Thank you SO much for your time!

The lowest price available for a computer to push current games very well, is my number one priority. Thank you again for your time!

Post subject: Re: Totally new to this stuff
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I can't fully help you out as I'm in the same boat but I've been researching for the past few months. My build is also budget and I'm picking things up as I go along, waiting for deals to show up.

CPU: People prefer the Intel core i5 and i7. I recently picked up a core 17 2600k+Gigabyte z68x-ud3 motherboard for $330 for my friend. He thought it was overkill after trying it out. I don't think an i7 is necessary for gaming these days, especially with the fact that the GFX card does the heavy lifting. I'm trying to get my hands on an AMD Phenom II x4 which would run me near $200 including the mobo.

RAM: cheap; look around. I got 8gb Corsair XMS 1333 sticks for $30

Storage: The inflated prices of HDD are coming down now but still too high IMO. I am getting either a 64gb or 128gb Crucial M4 SSD and get a HDD later in the year.

PSU: Another thing you have to really research to get the best idea. Check out Jonnyguru.com, anandtech.com, hardwaresecrets.com for really good reviews.

GFX: Haven't done much research here so can't help out.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well define "run the Witcher 2 incredibly well". If you're thinking about using Uber mode at 1080p @ 30+ FPS, then the graphics card required will eat up a good portion of your budget. If you want something like Xbox 360 quality, then it's more probable.

Otherwise something like this would do: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bui ... ,3159.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm 

Xbox 360 is wonderful. I'm just looking into this and seeing what I could do. I'd really like to play Diablo III on max settings, it's not out yet so it's kind of difficult to judge what will really work with it. Any suggestions towards that, will help me out a lot. Thank you so so so much.