Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming/General PC 2-3k
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm 

Hello,
I am looking to build 2 computers with exactly the same components except for networking. These machines will be used for MMORPG games and shooters like BF3 (I like playing high to max settings). Our ISP is ATT Uverse. One PC will connect via hardwire to the network and the other will use either ether to home electric or -N wireless.

Mice, keyboards, and OS should not be added to the list or against the budget. I will need 2 monitors. I am thinking 24 inch IPs monitors from Dell. Sound is not a big deal to me, but I can be convinced that this is wrong-headed.

I am not a big overclocker, but will overclock if it improves game play. I prefer air cooled and am willing to go full tower or mid. I do want a system SSD (I prefer a solid long lasting SSD to a speed demon) and enough memory for a ram disk.

It has been my experience that by the time I feel the need to upgrade everything but the DVD/BLU-ray, PSU, and Case need to be upgraded. If there is a way to make that less painful...cheaper let me know.

Post subject: Re: Gaming/General PC 2-3k
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 am 

Your cap seems to be $3000 correct?

Do you perfer AMD, or Intel, or does it not matter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

You should never buy AMD... Ivy bridge is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am 

My cap is $3,000.00.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Mekan wrote:
I am not a big overclocker, but will overclock if it improves game play.

Overclocking most likely won't improve game play, because the bottleneck is the GPU most of the time.

Quote:
I do want a system SSD (I prefer a solid long lasting SSD to a speed demon) and enough memory for a ram disk.

Nobody makes RAM Disks anymore, at least, for consumers. And if you're getting an SSD, you're only getting it for speed, otherwise you might as well get a 10KRPM HDD because of the 1.5 million hour MTFR on most of them. Or you can blow through up to 1/5 of your budget looking for a rare SLC based SSD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:09 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Nobody makes RAM Disks anymore, at least, for consumers. And if you're getting an SSD, you're only getting it for speed, otherwise you might as well get a 10KRPM HDD because of the 1.5 million hour MTFR on most of them. Or you can blow through up to 1/5 of your budget looking for a rare SLC based SSD.

I know of many people that create ram drives out of their excess ram....if I said disks I misspoke. Memory is still faster than SSD.

Yes, I want the speed of an SSD. What I was trying to get across was that when comparing one SSD to another I am looking for a solid long lasting and reliable unit more than getting the absolute best read/write times. I do not want an SSD that is anywhere near as slow as a 10k mechanical drive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Mekan wrote:
I know of many people that create ram drives out of their excess ram....if I said disks I misspoke. Memory is still faster than SSD.

If you mean using something like RAMDisk to use your actual memory, then sure. But if you're looking for an add-in card, then no.