Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Going from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm playing ME #1 now, and plan to play ME #2 next.
Any hints on how to make this transition smoothly ?
(not looking for spoilers, though :D ).

Also, I have the EA Value Games installation disks
for ME #1, and there is a Disc #2 -- but when I installed
the game, there was no call to use it. Will be called for later ?

Post subject: Re: Going from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
import your me1 character when you start me2 it will give you bonuses.

as for the disk 2, no its just some extra stuff, nothing for the game itself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:34 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

BTW, any hints on how to use the inventory efficiently ? The huge variety of weapons,
ammo, upgrades, etc. is a tad confusing. I suppose the trial-and-error of figuring it all out
is part of the game; but....I find the combat scenes are not conducive to doing a lot of on-the-spot fiddling with
the weapons, ammo, sqaud mates, etc. -- quickly devolves into a frantic shoot-out with whatever
I happen to have equipped at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I used to make my changes at the start of the mission, no changes after that, or you can change everything on the ship at the players lockers as well. I usually changed stuff there before I sold all the extra stuff since the team can only really use one or two weapons, I rarely upgraded the ones they do not use. only Ashley can use them all. unless you play as a soldier, I liked the engineer mostly. my goal for weapons was always to upgrade everyone to the spectre weapons, they are the best, but cost the most. first play through, you get level VII, on a replay it goes to level X, same with armour, buy all the licenses for weapons manufacturers and use or buy the best armour for everyone some of which is only available on the citidal.

If you replay me1 with the same character, you get the money and weapons, and armour that the players were equipped with at the end of the game in the start of the new game.

and when the time comes, do not kill wrex, save Ashley over kaiden, and save the council.

Me2 does away with the whole me1 system of weapons, you get a few and a few upgrades for them and thats all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm still in the middle (or somewhere :lol: ), but I did keep Ashley over Kaiden (poor bastard :( ).
However, Ashley shot Wrex (without my permission, the bitch :evil: She's hot, but I'm checking out Liara :mrgreen: ).
I have been revisiting the weapon/ammo configs before each mission, and selling
the acquired items as I find them inferior to what I've got, but it's rarely clear in advance just what combos I should
equip prior to any given mission (part of the challenge, I guess). If the opponents are going to be just random scumbags, then
I might just use shredder ammo.

Re/ inventory item redundancies, at this point, I assume for example, that if I want everyone on the squad to be
equipped with the same weapon/ammo/upgrade combo, I will have to carry three of each
item/upgrade in my inventory --- I haven't checked to see if that's really necessary, or if by just
carrying, say one ot the armoring piercing III upgrades, everyone would have access
to it simultaneously (???). Will have to look more closely at this next time....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

they do not access at once, you have to micro manage individually every weapon, and ammo, and armour, and weapon upgrade. as you upgrade to better equipment you get more options, like with armour, the lesser armour has one extra you can select, like the medigel, as you get better armour, you get more options, I like the combat exoskeleton, with the medical exoskeleton that come later in the game.

with the weapons you get two normally, one upgrade, one ammo. with the later game weapons you get three options, two upgrade, one ammo, the inferno rounds are the best, for all weapons, and the shredder rounds quit upgrading at a certain level. I never sell them for just that reason, inferno rounds go up to a 10 level. most other types do as well.

you are the only one that gets grenades, so I keep one of the newest of each type in inventory, sell the rest. I use the inferno grenades most.

to select options, on the squad screen, select a team member, select a weapon by clicking on it, the screen will change to the weapons that are available to upgrade to. at the top of the screen there is a place to select the upgrades you can select. they show as blank squares if nothing has been selected, click the blank and your inventory will show what is available and double click what you want to equip. you have to do this for every team member and each weapon that they carry, one at a time. this is the reason they changed the system in me2.

if ashley killed wrex you didnt have a high enough paragon level to talk him down. another reason to replay the character again, to build him up to a decent level, I think 60 is the highest ranking you can make. 10 million in money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Can the squad characters get trained to use more weapons ?

As for armor, I assume no one but a Krogan can use Krogan armor (?),
and generally ditto for most other species (?), although it seems that characters with human
features and air-breathing (like Liara) should be able to use all human armor (?).

I rarely play games a second time
(too much of a "Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt" feeling),
but there are some exceptions (Half Life 2, Deus Ex)
and ME is looking like it will be worth a second go :D .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

no, you are the only one that can be trained for a new weapon, which you get the first time on the collector ship.

correct on the armour, humans and liara use human armours but different characters can only use certain types, liara can only use light armour, same with kaiden, ashley can use any, and depending on what you play as, you are limited as well, to use heavy armour, you have to play as a soldier, as an engineer you only can use light. krogan can use heavy, turian can use medium, and light for quarian.

the different classes are what make the experience different on replays, the game stays the same, but the class is different and makes what you can do and how you play a mission different. plus replaying the game makes more weapons and armour available that wernt there in the first play through, and you make more money for exploration, minerals etc. and you start off getting better equipement right from the start.

I liked the games (I have all three) and have played 1 and 2 both about 50 times, 3 I have been through maybe half a dozen times so far. being retired I have nothing better to do anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hmm. I just assumed I was the Old Fart here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I retired about 2 years ago :mrgreen: ,
and am still waiting for the bored/purposeless feeling
that I was warned about to kick in.

Ever play any flight sim games ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I was retired but not by choice, laid off just before my employer went out of business, had 18 years with them. dam hard to find a job in your mid 60s with the economy the way it is, and I lived in Ca. then with a 12% unemployment, had to move back to Co. where the cost of living is much lower. I figured I was to oldest on here, be 68 this year.

never been in to the flight sims, even hated to fly in games that have a flight part. took forever with numerous replays to get through. mostly in to first person shooters now, to slow and dont have the reflexes anymore for on line play. let alone the worst isp in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The flight sims can be difficult even with a proper joystick+pedals (or some such);
I cannot imagine trying to use just keyboard/mouse to control even an arcade-style flyer
(like Crimson Skies, which was a hoot).

I gave them up after IL-Sturmovik kicked my butt pretty thoroughly. I think the sims
require a substantial amount of dedication and practice to master, but then again
my reflexes, hand-eye coordination are declining too.

But still, it was fun hosing the ME-110s out of the air :D

Now I am content to just be able to maneuver the Mako in ME1 :lol: :lol:

BTW, I am in my first play-through of ME1. When I finish, should I immediatley replay it
or go on to ME2 ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Another topic: strategic game-saves.

In particular, for ME2 (when I get there) I would like to know in advance
where I should make strategic game-saves (I usually tend to over-write the
previous game save, just to reduce clutter). I.E., points in the game where
I will have to make a crucial decision which will really affect the rest of the game.
Sometimes these points are not obvious at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I would build up your character first, make sure you save wrex, the council, and ashley, this will matter in me2 and more so in me3 if you get that one. build up to the best weapons and armour since everything that your team is equipped with at the end of me1 will carry over in a replay, and the rich player (money you have when you complete) will give you bonuses in me2 to start the game. then import your me1 character into me2. if you don't do it this way the game will make choices for you that will affect gameplay negatively in me2.

gameplay is completely different in 2 than it was in 1, they simplify alot of it.

there are also add ons available for me1 and 2, only a couple for me1, pinnicle station is a good one. me2 has add ons available that extend the gameplay quite a bit. I have them all for both.

I cannot think of any critical decisions in 2 that affect gameplay later most of those are made in me1. any other will have an effect in me3, you do want to save the aracnid queen though. if you are going to play me3. the only other thing is in the final assault on the collector base try to keep all of your team alive, it can be done. but there is a good chance that one team member will die, choose who does what carefully, based on their individual abilities. you do not want to lose mordin, so I always send him back with the survivors of the ships crew. oh and save the research for the cure to the genophage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I assume that if I replay ME1, then the results of the replay will be
what carries over into ME2 (vs. the results of the first play-through ?).

I have tried to follow a "paragon" path to point where I feel like
an overgrown boy scout, but apparently I made at least one slip
that led to Ashley shooting Wrex. I'm trying to recall what it might
have been.

Have you tried playing through using all of the bad guy options
(bullying, insulting, etc.) ? Some look like what you would expect
from a seriously maladjusted adolescent punk :twisted: .

When I got to the semi-cat fight between Ashley and Liara, I just
couldn't resist the "Can't I have you both ?" option (I suspect I
will regret that, too :mrgreen: ).

I'm now to where Anderson helped get Normandy away from
the Citadel (nice scene where he punched out the Council guy,
who appears suspiciously sleazy....)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

yes, last playthrough carries over.

It could be what you say to ashley before you go over to wrex, or which choices you make in the conversation with him, if I remember one of them seems right, but.

I only played the ahole route once, normally go the paragon route, but its always a mix in the end. there are upgrade choices that will increase the "points" you get for either. there are also upgrades that add conversation options a replay will build the character up to a point that they are all available. I think the max on character is 60 in me1, and its done away with in 2 and 3.

that might have been a bad choice, could get neither now, in me2 you can get tallie.

at the end, appoint anderson to the council not the idiot, he will appear again in 2 and 3, that is one of the choices that will carry over.

the add ons for me2 are worth buying, and extend the play alot. some really make no difference, just let you change uniforms for team members, or add a weapon or two. but those are really cheap, a dollar or so. steam has not got the add ons origin doesn't either, they are available from bioware.

another thought, having both games at once make it hard not to move on to the newest one. but when the first one came out, it was two years to wait for the next one, so you had lots of time for replays either to build your character or try the different classes to see which you liked to play, and develope your skills. plus you can play as male or female. lots of choices. I played as an engineer most of the time, since it increased your tech skills which in turn lets you open more stuff that you find on missions. the soldier gets the sorry your tech skills are not high enough to open this. but to compensate, you are skilled with all the weapons

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was wondering whether to use Origin or Steam for getting ME2 (I have accounts with both).
I would assume that, since I did not use Steam for ME1, I should continue with Origin in
this case (?).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:35 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I have 1 and 2 with steam, and 3 from origin which i think is only available there and at bioware. bioware has the addons for me2, and origin has pinnicle station for me1. steam has no addons for any of them. you may be still able to get dlc from the opening screen on me2, i havent played it in a while but i will check. clicking on addons puts you at the bioware site. there is a demo for me3 available, does the opening mission and part of another.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have now visited all of the planets except Ilos, which appears to be leading to a
boss fight with Saren....I'm giving some thought as to how I configure my assault team
for that one.

There are still a number of side items I have not located: ore/metal/mineral deposits, artifacts,
etc. which I assume is because I did not explore the planets enough.

How do I recognize spectre weapons (how are they designated ? I have some new ones with rather cryptic names). I have
continued to upgrade everyone's armour and weapons each time I find new stuff.
Now have about 5 million credits.

Assume I won't be able to go back to the Citadel until after the Ilos missison (?). Landing
there is not listed as an option now, so I can't inform the admiral about the dead marines I found.

On Feros, I forgot to handle the side quest for the data, and now the elevator going back
to the lab area won't work, so I can't go back; but the quest is still listed as unfinished. I guess
I won't be able to do it this play-through ?

When I replay ME1, will I be able to keep my heavy armour even if I play as an engineer ?

Thanks for the help !

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ilos will be the last mission from there you follow saren to the citidal for the last fight, you should be able to buy spectre weapons on the ship, the HMW VII series is or should be the only ones available on the first play through, it jumps to the HMW X after that. example, the HMWSR VII is the sniper rifle. these are only available at the spectre gunshop, and on board the ship. and you can only get them so many at a time. they are not replenished on the ship unless you visit the citidal everything that your present team is equipped with at the end of the game will be carried over (and money) to a replay.

I like to use Wrex and ashley for the last mission although of course you carry the load.

the best armour is only available at the citidal shops. never on the ship. and since you have heavy armour, you must be playing as a soldier, they are the only class that can use heavy, engineers can only use light armour. the predator series armour for humans is the best has over 400 shields. there are three sets of light armour available and one heavy for humans, wrex is the only other one of your team that can use a heavy armour the turian only get medium, tally only gets light but there is not a great selection for quarians, so take what you can find

dont worry to much about side missions, they dont have much to do in the future, the important ones are the geth info for tally, and the family armour for wrex, I missed or skipped a few more than once, it makes no difference in the game. they are fillers to extend the game more or less. there are some missions I never did in replays that I did the first or second playthru. you do have a fan on the citidal that you should be nice to, he is in every game, and saves your life in me3, dying in the process.

one dlc in me2 will make a difference in me3, thats the shadowbroker mission, its a good one anyway worth buying. and another one is the (I think) the firewalker one, if you explore all the planets on that one mission, you can make enough resourses to fund the whole game

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just started my first re-play of ME1 (also downloaded ME2 -- took 18+ hours via DSL from Origin,
same amount of time it took me to download DE:HR from Steam -- out here in the boonies, my DSL rarely gets over
1 MB/s). Of course, I'm not going to start ME2 until I finish the ME1 re-play.

This time I will be careful to keep Wrex alive.