Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: bored... any suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm 

I decided to make a wooden box for my stereo. If anyone one of you knows about a mod like the description below or have any ideas of their own.

I plan on making a 11X11X6-1/2 inch box. I haven't decided on what wood I would use, but I would like to use some darker wood like walnut with a lighter accents. One thing I would like to do (if possible) is to make some DIY powermat that I could use to charge up my android or a friend's iphone and plug in the head phone jack to the aux. If not then I'll resort to some 6 volt solar panel to go with it.

It's in pieces but it still works fine. I took out the CD and cassette functions because I never really used it on the unit. All it has is aux and radio AM/FM.

Post subject: Re: bored... any suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's kinda all over the place, so it's a hard read. Goes from making a decorative box for a stereo into pretty much inventing a new powermat or utilizing one; with the option of solar. The radio is in pieces, and only the radio aspect is really desired.

This is in the eye of the beholder IMO, as I think you're the only one seeing a goal right now. We can help you along the way...I just can't picture what you have in mind. Help us out here with wording, as I'm sure you visualize something...it's just not clear on this end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:22 pm 

I didn't think my description was all that great, I should of stayed mainly on the tech aspect. I can focus on the woodworking aspect.

Here are some things related that I would like to focus on for now.
1. I would like to know if there is some DIY kit or some who has built a powemat charger that can work for any device. I kind of understand the basic idea of it, just can it be done .
2. If not, I'll just go along with making a small solar panel charger.

I would like to make the finished product do three things, radio, the aux to play music on my android, and to charge my phone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

metalglasses wrote:
I didn't think my description was all that great, I should of stayed mainly on the tech aspect. I can focus on the woodworking aspect.

Here are some things related that I would like to focus on for now.
1. I would like to know if there is some DIY kit or some who has built a powemat charger that can work for any device. I kind of understand the basic idea of it, just can it be done.

2. If not, I'll just go along with making a small solar panel charger.

I don't know if there is a DIY kit, but you could make one, although it'll probably be impractical. The powermat works by having a wire coil in the powermat that magnetically induces an electrical current in another coil that's hooked up to the phones charging circuitry. The hard part in making one for yourself would be making the second coil that attaches to the phone's charging circuitry.

metalglasses wrote:
I would like to make the finished product do three things, radio, the aux to play music on my android, and to charge my phone.

A way you may want to go about building this is to divide it into four components: the radio, the speakers, the aux/radio selector, and the charging system. You could use a kit to build the radio, or if you're feeling especially adventurous, build one from scratch. There are guides to building speakers if you want to go that route, or you could integrate store bought speakers into your project. Since the aux/radio would be using the same speakers, you'll need some mechanism to select the source: you could just use a simple switch, or do something fancier.