Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer Programming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am 

So I'm looking to go back to school, and I have a very strong desire to go into the programming field.

I wanna do this right though so I wanted some input on some of the schools of choice.

I have been leaning towards ITT, but nothing is said or done I'm still doing research.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good schools? I am looking at the BS in Computer Science.

Also any insight in the the field would always be greatly appreciated. Where the work? What type of work? People who work in the field currently, what are your feelings on it?

Post subject: Re: Computer Programming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The most important thing to learn in school is how to do some research. You could start there.

For example, try reading any of the dozens of threads in this very forum that discuss exactly the subject about which you're inquiring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I graduated with a Computer Engineering degree, which is just CS with a bunch of Electrical Engineering mixed in.

On that note, I "specialize" in embedded programming, which is writing programs on bare metal (or near bare metal). Apparently I hear this is a rather "secure" programming career locally because you can't really outsource embedded programming if you want your stuff to work as you want it to in the environments you expect. In a manner of speaking. Or it could just be where I work that this is the case (I do training systems). While you should go with what you want, I must warn you that while Applications Programming (which is making programs in a userland space, like an OS or something) is in fair demand, it's also one I feel has too much supply.

But it really depends on the work you do. As mentioned, I do training systems, which very few others do or can do. So Applications, Embedded, I think there's a fair bit of job security in "niche" areas like this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 pm 

If I were you I would rethink ITT unless you're in a big hurry. You can get a 4 year college degree much more affordable than going to ITT for a couple of years. I received a BS in Mechanical Engineering and had other friends that graduated from ITT that took out loans doubling what I paid for tuition. There are a lot of good schools out there. Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Your best bet is to go to a state school inside your current state. Most are cheap (relative to costs of other universities) but also good schools.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am 

Going to the computer science doesn't mean, there you will learn only programming. There are others concepts and subjects you'll have to be learn. I think today's best programming language is PHP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

visio wrote:
I think today's best programming language is PHP.

My reaction to this is similar to... *happy, happy, erk, face stuck in happy but mind is not*

Though it's great trolling material, even if this isn't the intent.