Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading to new computer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm 

I am currently running on a computer I had built a couple of years ago, the only thing I have done in the past year was replaced the Motherboard and Hard Drive which had been fried. I am looking to build the computer into a brand new one but can't do it all at once and I don't want to wait 4 months to purchase it all at once if I don't have to as I am currently playing some games that need better than what I currently have (they seem to make my computer hate me, plus the power buttons on the case don't work I have to toy around with the inside to make it turn on when I want it to.

Anyway, I will list what I currently have and hopefully someone can help me decide what parts to get first, I know one of the absolute first things I would like to get would be a case, I am hoping I can spend no more than $500 or so a month on this, though some months for instance when I buy a new video card I will be spending nearly 700 for the Nvidia 680 (Which is one of the few things I am dead set on)

For my case I currently have this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811156063 I need to replace it though as I am having issues, something that has more room inside would be great as this one is hard to navigate around the inside of.

For my Motherboard I have an Intel Desktop board which only has 2 ram slots so this will be need to be replaced asap, not quite sure the exact specifications on the board.

For my processor I have an Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

Ram I have 4 GB ram, not quite sure too much about it other than it is Coursair.

I have an H100 cooling system for my processor.

I have an Nvidia 280 video card which is in serious need of upgrading.

I have a 700W powersupply.

Anyway here is what I was thinking.

I was thinking that it would probably be best to upgrade the Case/Motherboard/Powersupply if possible one month then move on and upgrade the Processor the next month and then the videocard the next month.

My issue is I want the processor to be one of the new ones Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge (I forget what ever the newest best is.) I also want it to be near top of the line if not top of the line, I understand this will cost me nearly 1000.

I am willing to spend a total of around $2500-3000 if needed to fully upgrade this, that is taking into account $600 for the video card, but I am not sure what I should be getting for a motherboard, processor etc.

If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading to new computer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

You have to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time. Its too late and I had too much to drink to provide a lot of useful info but Ivy Bridge is worth waiting for and maybe you should start with a graphics card like the 680.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading to new computer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm 

Your case is entirely on preference but you need to make sure it can fit the parts correctly. You also need to get a bigger case if you're thinking about doing a water cooling setup later in the future as I highly recommend overclocking the Ivy bridge processors that will come out.

Just wait for the new Ivy bridges to come out and the new set of motherboards. Your PSU can probably be upgraded now though.