Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Minecraft Server Assistance
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I have a server up at home and I've been able to play on it with no problems from work for weeks. 1.2.3 was fine and 1.2.4 was too. At home I had issues pretty quickly playing locally or by the standard IP route.

1) The early problem was that it'd lag up with no other players after a minute or so and be unplayable. Having another player join in and they did NOT see any lag on their end and that I just stood around lagging it up. Server good to this point. The remote PC that I play from is also fine I guess. Same computer he's joining from.

1.1) Server is set to use 1G using a .bat file and does the same thing with the default settings.

2) JAVA 64 was manually installed on the server and myself on this end and we play fine for 45-minutes or so. Progress!

3) Java sucks it all up and locks the server, but allows us two to play for a bit. Moved it off the 2G Q6600 to an 8G 2500K, set the server back up, and it's the same thing. 45min and we're dead in the water and locks up just the same. Not just the game, but the computer.

Java seems to be eating resources and won't stop. When it's out of memory, it's done. I've had no issues before just setting up a basic server and having 10 people just run around and now I do with just two. What do you think is going on here?

Post subject: Re: Minecraft Server Assistance
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Is this Bukkit, or the normal server? What mods are installed? What OS is this?
Have you tried allocating more RAM? 1GB is somewhat small.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I host my own Minecraft Servers ocassionally. I would suggest using the Bukkit plugin to run the server. Download, drop it into your Minecraft folder, and change the bat to launch the bukkit jar instead, thats all you need to do. It has many improvements to deal with memory issues and leakage. You can get it at bukkit.org. I have also had issues where players would lag drastically if they joined the server. This issue is solved by changing the port used to something else. A good choice would be 6112 or 6113. They are used by Blizzard games alot of the times, but I find they work very well with Minecraft too. Minecraft servers can be very CPU dependent. I would suggest installing plugins that reduce the load on the server. Bukkit is a plugin layer and there are plenty of plugins to go along with this.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-f ... -r0.62732/

This plugin dynamically adjusts variables to get maximum ticks per second by limiting mobs from spawning and clumping items into 1 instead of multiple bits on the ground. Users will not notice a difference, except in the performance department.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:24 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

That would be a good idea if he was using a vanilla server.
Also, DO NOT PUT A BUKKIT SERVER IN THE SAME FOLDER AS A VANILLA ONE. It screws things up royally.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

This was vanilla and I only listed 1G as it's a reasonable request and is most common. When it fails at that, something is wrong and it's worth a question. Assume more. If it was something special, I'd include that. I use Win7 pro-64 on everything and Vanilla server. I've tried bucket and it goes offline, which is something I'm working with at Bukkit forums and an entirely different issue perhaps.

This is Minecraft server and Java6.

My first eff up was changing the Java6 install location. I put 64-bit in the x86 folder and 32-bit in the regular Program folder. Brain fart. So I correct that, fixed the 1G bat file, and have been playing fine from work. But then it happens again as soon as I get another player to join. We both play fine, but when we get in sight of each other it starts chewing memory and becomes unplayable.

So assuming I've never served a game before and I'm lacking:
Windows 7 x64 SP1, no updates to install
Vanilla server 1.2.5
Asus P8Z68-V LE
Intel 2120
8G Mushkin Blackline 1600
2x XFX GTS250's (Not SLI nor folding while I figure this out)
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU
Gigabit LAN to an Asus RT-N66U via a D-link DGS-1100-16 switch and a faithful 20M ISP.

It's pretty freaking good for a garage computer, so what say you? Can I keep assuming that Java isn't cleanly installed and go down that route? My main rig serves it like a champ, but I don't want to run a server off it. It's using Java 6 too, but default memory (512M). It's just strange that this rig is great until we meet up and starts to become unplayable quickly. Within 50 blocks, you can just see the process use more and more memory like it's a leak.

Right now I'm just hosting two players with 5 max; because that's where I'm at. The other person runs a server I'm playing on and no issues really (typical MP issues with boats and carts). I'd like to move up to more, but feel my upload speeds will limit me to 10 max.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:08 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Try Bukkit.

Also, try uninstalling all Javas and reinstalling JUST the 64x one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 am 

I've only done one server setup Chumly and that was my own. Don't have enough experience with it to really help you out with anything but the obvious stuff I'm sure you've already done being a techie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've nailed it and it was my own mistake(s)...was a huge facepalm. I've had it up and running solidly since figuring my mistakes out. The mistakes, were compounded...

If you're into Minecraft or just want to try it out, would you like to play on an unofficial MPC server? I have months in a buddy's server, seems like he's growing tired of just us two playing, I don't want to lose my work, and would like to start serving it as an MPC (Non-Bukkit at this point). With my ISP upload, I can handle 5 at a time and sounds about right for our crowd.

Since it's not a Bukkit server, what I can not do is open this up to just anyone and their dog; We'd be robbed blind. I know a lot of you guys, and if you're interested I can white list you. If I take it on, it's survival only and if this takes a couple users, I do not do any server side commands (besides bans...which takes a lot).

Phos, noghiri, Digital...would love to have ya! I can show you our basic little world that's a few months old as a guest. For now, it's on my friend's computer and you'd play by his rules. We'd love to have some MPC type in here playing along. If you're elbow-deep in another server, I understand fully.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 am 

PM me the info. I'd love to check it out sometime. Not sure when I'll have the time at the moment and you may end up being moved over to your server by the time I make it there, but just in the off chance... My senior seminar class is killing me right now. Slammed with a Capstone project paper.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 pm 

there right...1gb ram is nothing...how much ram can the motherboard tolerate?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Chumly wrote:
I've nailed it and it was my own mistake(s)...was a huge facepalm. I've had it up and running solidly since figuring my mistakes out. The mistakes, were compounded...

If you're into Minecraft or just want to try it out, would you like to play on an unofficial MPC server? I have months in a buddy's server, seems like he's growing tired of just us two playing, I don't want to lose my work, and would like to start serving it as an MPC (Non-Bukkit at this point). With my ISP upload, I can handle 5 at a time and sounds about right for our crowd.

Since it's not a Bukkit server, what I can not do is open this up to just anyone and their dog; We'd be robbed blind. I know a lot of you guys, and if you're interested I can white list you. If I take it on, it's survival only and if this takes a couple users, I do not do any server side commands (besides bans...which takes a lot).

Phos, noghiri, Digital...would love to have ya! I can show you our basic little world that's a few months old as a guest. For now, it's on my friend's computer and you'd play by his rules. We'd love to have some MPC type in here playing along. If you're elbow-deep in another server, I understand fully.

Sure, i always have time for another server.

Hampton Bay wrote:
there right...1gb ram is nothing...how much ram can the motherboard tolerate?

I sense a TL;DR in progress. The problem was solved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Let me move it over and I really want you guys to play with me. Two is getting boring and I know you guys will help me tweak it and make it better. The host now is on his WHS, steals bandwidth as he BitTorrent's the encyclopedia Britannica or whatever, and is unplayable for hours on end. He's also bored of it and just jumps in to chat vise play. If you good sirs would be in there, I'd have more fun. Thus far I might as well be playing single player.

I've moved this past month and am having networking issues out here in the garage where I'd like to serve from. When I/we figure that out, I'd really like to have ya'll jump in here and there and hope to have a bigger base of fun players. I'm SMP only and the only Mods I ad from Bukkit would be to just link the two worlds I've lived in w/ portals.