Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Accessing the firmware interface of an ActionTec GT701-WG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I just received an ActionTec GT701-WG DSL Gateway (Wireless) Router in the mail. I purchased it from a seller on eBay. When I attempt to access the firmware interface at the http:192.168.0.1 address in my browser, I am prompted for a username and password. I have tried using the defaults associated with ActionTec (username: admin, password: password and username: admin, password: (blank)) and nothing seems to work. This piece of networking equipment is reduced to being a POS without access to the web interface of this device. I have contacted ActionTec support, but was told that the support call would cost me $99.95, so I hung up on them. I have tried resetting this thing per the reset instructions, but am still encountering the same problem. I will contact the seller tomorrow to see if they can help (I sincerely doubt that they can) and will most likely be giving them my first less-than-five-star review as their return policy excludes me from returning this item as it has already been opened. If anyone can help me with this issue, I will be forever grateful. Thanks in advance for reading this post.

Post subject: Re: Accessing the firmware interface of an ActionTec GT701-W
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You tried this?
Quote:
Is there a way to clear or Reset the Admin username and password on an Actiontec GT Series Router, Gateway or Wireless Access Point?
Yes, but clearing the password also resets the configuration of the device. So following a reset, the gateway or router will need to be completely reconfigured.
To reset a 'GT' Series Router, Gateway or Wireless Access Point, begin with the unit powered up and with a solid Green Power light. Then using a small tool depress and hold the Reset button on the back of the device just until you see the color of the Power light change from Green to Amber. Be sure to release the Reset button before the Power light turns Red.
The length of time that the Reset button must be held to accomplish the reset varies from model to model, but as long as the Reset button is released while the power light is Amber the Reset will be successful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:29 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes. It did nothing to resolve the issue. By default, you should be able to access the router firmware page at the address of http://192.168.0.1 without a username or password when the damn thing is new out of the box. At the very worst, you should have the default username of "admin" and either leave the password field blank, or use the default password (which is "password" ). I have attempted to reset the router twice using the instructions from ActionTec's support site, but to no avail. Also note that (according to the site's instructions for resetting the gateway/router) you are instructed to release the reset button on the back of the device immediately after the power light turns amber. Otherwise, you risk causing permanent damage to the gateway/router.

Edit: Never mind. I just received an email from the reseller and it included an instruction document that solved my issue. It turns out that the default username for accessing the gateway's firmware interface is "edup" (password field is left blank).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:48 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have missed obvious things like this too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Obvious? I checked ActionTec's support site and found nothing referring to "edup" being a default username for accessing the firmware interface. Also, there was no documentation nor a user manual CD with this device that even mentioned this information. Contacting the eBay reseller was really my only option and she supplied the required information in a very timely fashion. Once I got into the firmware interface, I found that, while this is not an ISP-specific modem (it can be set up to work with any DSL service), I did find that the firmware updates are supplied not by Actiontec, but by Qwest (now known as CenturyLink), and I proceeded to successfully upgrade the device's firmware that way. However, I found no documentation at Qwest's support site concerning a default username or password being needed to access the firmware interface for this gateway/router/modem, either. Fortunately, contacting the reseller via email was really my only option for retrieving this vital piece of information, and I simply excercised that option and it produced the desired result.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Modem people are crazy. I had a similar problem with a different one. That's why I try to get DDWRT on any network systems I can. Saves energy. Unfortunately, modems are not one of those things.

Post subject: Accessing the firmware interface of an ActionTec GT701 WG
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 am 

Definitely it has if the node has multiple interface running AODV because even if the AODV are configured on multiple interfaces their routing table will be one only and it can have the path with any interface as outgoing interface.

Post subject: Re: Accessing the firmware interface of an ActionTec GT701 W
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Repairmast wrote:
Definitely it has if the node has multiple interface running AODV because even if the AODV are configured on multiple interfaces their routing table will be one only and it can have the path with any interface as outgoing interface.

Say whaaaaa?

This thread was from last year... and that post makes no sense...