Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where are and how can I delete my backups please ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 am 

Hello experts !

I had been working very smoothtly with my p.c. until a few months ago I saw a small screen recommending me to backup my files designing a schedule to make periodical backups, which I did.

Now I see my C: is full, I have a total capacity of 464.98 GB and just 16.76 GB free.

How was that possible ? I guess because of the weekly backups I scheduled, so now I wonder where are all my backups and how might I delete them to free space of my C: hardrive ?

Thanks in advance for your help, looking foward to your suggestions.

Best greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

Post subject: Re: Where are and how can I delete my backups please ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:37 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Antonio Machado wrote:
Hello experts !

I had been working very smoothtly with my p.c. until a few months ago I saw a small screen recommending me to backup my files designing a schedule to make periodical backups, which I did.

Now I see my C: is full, I have a total capacity of 464.98 GB and just 16.76 GB free.

How was that possible ? I guess because of the weekly backups I scheduled, so now I wonder where are all my backups and how might I delete them to free space of my C: hardrive ?

Antonio Machado.

My first question is "Is this a program that you yourself installed to make backups?" If so, what is the name of the program?
Can you launch the program manually? If so, can you get into a Preferences menu, where it asks where you would like your backups automatically saved? Or are you asked each time where you would like them saved, if you back up manually?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm 

OvenMaster wrote:
Antonio Machado wrote:
Hello experts !

Antonio Machado.

My first question is "Is this a program that you yourself installed to make backups?" If so, what is the name of the program?
Can you launch the program manually? If so, can you get into a Preferences menu, where it asks where you would like your backups automatically saved? Or are you asked each time where you would like them saved, if you back up manually?

Hello my friend OvenMaster:

Thank you very much for dedicating a bit of your time to help me.

When I created my Backup plan I went to Control Panel - System and Security - Backup your computer and I schedule a weekly backup of all my files.

Precisely in that screen is that I can see a blue color, horizontal bar saying at the buttom "16.76 GB free of 464.98 GB"

Waiting for your suggestions, best greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

This sounds like System Restore to me, and the setting for how much space is used for restore points is way out of whack.

Which OS do you have, Windows 7? If so, first read here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... tore-point

and then here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... re-require

I set my own XP machine to have only 5% of my C: drive space for restore points.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am 

OvenMaster wrote:
This sounds like System Restore to me, and the setting for how much space is used for restore points is way out of whack.

and then here:

I set my own XP machine to have only 5% of my C: drive space for restore points.

Hello again, my friend OvnMaster:

Thanks a lot for those links, I just followed their steps and I think that will help me a bit.

Nevertheless I continue worry for my "C:" Hard Drive because it used to be used at 20% and available 80 % and since a few months ago it appears full at 95 % and just 5 % available, what else could be the reason ? I can't find something to delete, something new that is occupying that lot of space.

If you think on another possibility that might help me, please continue helping me.

Antonio Machado.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Antonio Machado wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:

and then here:

Thanks a lot for those links, I just followed their steps and I think that will help me a bit.

Nevertheless I continue worry for my "C:" Hard Drive because it used to be used at 20% and available 80 % and since a few months ago it appears full at 95 % and just 5 % available, what else could be the reason ? I can't find something to delete, something new that is occupying that lot of space.

If you think on another possibility that might help me, please continue helping me.

Antonio Machado.

What else could be the reason?
Let's find out.
Download, install, and run WinDirStat.
http://windirstat.info/
This will show you exactly what's filling up your drive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Antonio Machado wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:

and then here:

Antonio Machado.

It sounds like you're using Window's Backup. To manage the space it uses, go to Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore (or just type in "Backup and Restore" in the program search field), then click on the "Manage Backup" link, and then click on "View backups". Here you can delete backups.

It sounds like you are backing up your C: drive to your C: drive, which has limited benefit, since it won't protect against hardware failures.