One word sticks out that that's "Service". From post one, I have my own question: What are you using MSCONFIG to disable? MSCONFIG w/ an enabled service could be a cycle. Tried uninstalling it? MSconfig should be treated as the registry as it's just an extension of it, and we don't. Don't muck around in either of those like it's kindergarten.
Don't just delete stuff from the registry. You guys suggesting it are fucking nuts. And if your name is not "Dell", you're out of extended support because XP is still supported officially. Doesn't matter anyway...you can get XP updates. "Support" is "customer support". If you had it, you'd talk to them and not us.
Please, Please, PLEASE don't post in the Free Clinic with bunk fucking advice you found on Google. This is one place we need to stay pure and not talk out our ass. It's harder to fix now in this post than it was on post #1 and are giving him the run-around.
Ovenmaster...slow the role. Windows rocks because it gives us the ability to fuck it up. I hope you didn't go too far into these suggestions as it really can turn out to be something we can't reverse. I seldom pull this out but, but I'm using it like a six-shooter now: 23,738 posts dude...170 posts seem kind of like a gesture to consider, not utilize right off the bat. I really fear that, at this point, you're hosed; But let's see. NEVER play in XP reg...NEVER. I'm sure you backed up the REG as all say to do and you can restore it right now, get back to the original configuration, and makes the simple problem workable. If not....there's levels of fucked up to try and figure out.
Really...not your fault Oven, but most of the early "help" fucked you up more. This is The Clinic; to be treated logically, with experience in the matter at hand, and not to play orderly when a Doctor is needed.
No, all I've done so far is what I said I tried. Uninstalling the Windows Updates that were installed, and uninstalling and trying other antivirus software. What I wanted to disable was FAHControl launching at bootup (even though I'd unchecked the box during the install that said to not enable it), same with Java auto-update (same deal), and Adobe's ReaderSL.exe. No services.
I have always treated the Registry as if it were a ticking bomb, so I do always backup just in case. Lord knows I f_cked it up often enough in my Win95 days to teach me that lesson. I've reinstalled the Windows Updates, and Avira Free. I did run CCleaner, and all it got rid of was a bunch of old Nero and Magix leftovers.
If there isn't a simple fix, then I will just live with this. I admit to OCD with this rig. Hell, just getting things exactly the way I want them after a reformat and reinstall takes me two weeks of customization and TweakUI fiddling. But I only do things that aren't disasters waiting to happen. I rely on this machine too much to have it be on the fritz even one day's worth of time.