Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: initial partitions on WHS 2011 install
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I noticed that after installing WHS 2011 on a box, that the system partition is only about 60-80GB. Can this be resized post-install to something like 160GB or so (in the case for adding add-ins and other software to run on the server)?

Is there a way (should I have to re-install) to manually select the partition sizes during install?

Right now, there is only 1 drive, which is a 500GB drive, but I want to make sure that I have enough space for OS updates, AV software, and other software to add to the server, and I don't think 60GB is going to cut it long term... My goal (when HDs get a little cheaper) is to add 2 identical drives for RAID 1 operation, but for now, I will live with the 500GB and an external drive for backup.

Post subject: Re: initial partitions on WHS 2011 install
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:27 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

If you installed WHS2 on a 500G drive, there's no reason it made it a variable 60-to-80, let alone not making a 500G partition. You ask about stuff that happens during the install process. Should you manually select size during install? Sounds like you did and are baffled by it.

My first advice is to buy WHS2 and to start playing with it. I've had a 10TB server up the entire time you've been asking about what to do, what to build, or how it works. Shit or get off the pot. The only limitation you'll face is backups to a big drive...something you won't see currently.

It's simple dude. Build a little low cost PC and install WHS on it. Even the Beta were up in minutes.

Post subject: Re: initial partitions on WHS 2011 install
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:31 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It appears that you should use the hard drives partitioning software utility and partition the size of the two drives you want when you are finished. In your case, 160 gig and the rest for storage, format them and install your WHS2 on the 160 gig partition.

Nasty