Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does any company make a gaming trackball?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 am 

I know most people use mice for gaming and that there are plenty of those designed for this purpose. But does anyone know of a trackball for gaming? I've been using a Logitech Trackman Marble for years now, and despite trying to switch over to a mouse, I just can't get used it. I usually play FPSs and RPGs. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject: Re: Does any company make a gaming trackball?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

http://www.clearlysuperiortech.com/modeltypes.html
The L-Trac and L-trackX are for gaming and CAD. I can't vouch for their effectiveness, as I use a mouse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:05 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Yeah, CST is probably the best, but they are also very very expensive since most people who game do so with a gamepad, game keyboard and/or gaming mouse. I use an older logitech track ball as a mouse for the kitchen computer (since it doesn't require a large area to work with), but its like from the 90's and a ps/2 input. Can't image using one for gaming though. got me beat there... heh

Kensington used to make awesome trackballs in the day and my brother used one for graphic design till he upgraded to walcom tablets years ago. They still make some decent products. I'd probably look at the cheap $30 Orbit optical trackball or the $100 Expert Mouse that they make.

You really won't find a lot of products in your area, specially ones that are made with win7 in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:30 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I interned for a while with this French guy who played TF2 with a trackball, and a trackball only. Still does today. He used to just destroy with that thing. He was really accurate with the thing, but if he wanted to move fast, he just spun it. Sometimes he would be a heavy and go into a room full of enemies and just throw the trackball to the side and still at 20rev/sec with the chaingun. He was a hoot. Back to the point, I found a couple trackball mice you might wanna look at:
1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009KH63
2. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Products-Programmable-ambidextrous-customizable/dp/B004E2MLL6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1327825672&sr=8-6
3. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-TrackMan-Marble-FX-Trackball/dp/B00000JBUI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327825672&sr=8-7 Look at the used price on this one, the new price is crazy; they must have stopped making them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:34 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have a trackball that I use on occasion. To spin the thing, you need a high-enough quality one where the ball won't rise part-way out of the socket. On mine, this prevents gaming use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Been using this style for years, started with the wired variety...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0017 ... _e_title_1

I was an early convert, never was much of a fan of the mouse as a peripheral. The trackball, a Logitech G13, and a recliner make for the perfect gaming station. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 am 

I too had trouble finding a gaming trackball, so I ended up making one. While the one I made is great for me, I would really appreciate any feedback regarding the design. It is currently on display with a detailed description and video over at Kickstarter. I put it there to share with everyone, but if it doesn't have much following, I'll just be happy as a clam with the one I have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

^Potted meat anyone?
Caution for anyone who will click anything: I see red flags. Lots of em.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Problem solved! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:43 am 

Thanks for all the replies. I recently got the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm liking the idea of two more buttons.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:25 am 

Yes, CST is the one who makes a gaming trackball but on one hand they very expensive and on other they are probably the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've had trackballs almost exclusively since I began computing 20(?) years ago. Started with Microtech. Eventually went with Logitech and now the Kensington.

I've played every FPS that I could get my hands on with the Marble Mouse and am now playing Skyrim with the Kensington Optical Orbit.

There is no trackball out there that is perfect. Few are even adequate. The Marble Mouse and the Orbit are both pretty good. A blending of the best features of both would come close to ideal.

The Orbit is too wide...I want to control the ball with my two middle finger and left click with my index finger and right click with my pinky. It is difficult and I am always reaching with the index finger. I could probably switch to a left click with the thumb but buttons don't extend to the rear enough to make them easily accessible. Fix those issues and add lazer tracking and this trackball would be terrific. That said, I find the scroll ring smooth and easily turned and the ball feels like it was greased.

The Marble Mouse has good button positioning (good ergonomics...maybe the best) but the buttons don't like being activated everywhere. I have worn out two, grey on grey (newer), four button Marble Mice by clicking with my index finger at the extreme forward end of the left button. It's down to cheap construction (I have an old, white MM and it is still working great, it's a tank. But of course, there is no software to control acceleration, or pointer speed or dpi). And, in this day and age, the lack of a scroll ring--it could be placed under the buttons--is such a big drawback as to make the MarbleMouse almost unusable in Skyrim.

While the Kensington is not built as solidly as I would like...the Logitech has been going downhill in that regard with every iteration.

Have also tried the very expensive CST LazerTrac. Not my cuppa...very awkward to use--no ergonomics to speak of and for my hand, I couldn't reach the scroll wheel at all without stretching and losing contact with both the buttons and the ball.

Programmable buttons are OK but not really necessary when playing with the keyboard. That said, precision is important. Thumb wheels are very hard to zero in with--think aiming at a bird overhead with a bow.

Bottom line, IMO, the Orbit is the best of the best at this point in time...especially for the money.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am 

Thanks all for your responses. I went with the Logitech wireless M570. Decided to stay in my comfort zone, since I've been using this style for about 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 am 

Go to Amazon and look for them.

Here's a couple links:

This one's $17
http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Trackbal ... ERSGQ65T0F

This one's $26 and free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER%C2%AE-USB ... pd_cp_pc_0

This One's $12 with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Trackball-Mouse-O ... MV1V4JZE66