Got the final cover plates made for the front and top. We're finally in the home stretch!
After placing the Lamptron fan controller and LG Blu-ray drive in place, I took a bunch of measurements.
Transferred those measurements onto a piece of extra aluminum sheet and proceeded to cut out the holes.
Test fit. Needs a bit of fine tuning, but its pretty much there. Don't worry, the green anodizing won't be around for long.
After a few more test fits and minor adjustments, I filed and sanded the edges smooth. Then shot it with some black paint.
With the front done, I could move to the top switch plate, which would be a bit more time consuming. I made a paper template first,
And marked the alu sheet for cutting.
Got rid of the stock fan controller and buttons.
After drilling the mounting holes around the perimeter, and figuring out where everything was going to go, I started drilling my pilot holes.
Used my trusty step drill bit to drill out the holes for the switches and leds.
Got these military fighter pilot toggle switches from Bill Owen.
I opted to get the clear ones so I could paint them.
A quick test fit.
Continuing on with the hole-making. I used my square needle file to get the corners first, then it was easy to do the rest with my flat files.
Looking pretty good. Now I gotta get the IO ports positioned underneath to match. Since the stock IO ports were hard-wired to one single circuit board along with the fan controller, I had to dig into my stash to find another set. I did re-use the USB 3.0 ports in their original locations, and the eSATA is the original port, just relocated to the bottom center.
There! Now that looks cool. Just have to do final touches and paint the cover plate. I'll paint the toggle covers red as well. Bill had anodized red ones, but I didn't like how they looked, so I opted to get the clear ones so I could paint to suit.
Here's a final shot of how the whole front looks. Starting to come together now!
This weekend I'll be finishing up the exterior, and moving on to the wiring and component installation. woot!