Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows for older people
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm 

Just ordered a mini PC for my dad. Intel Atom, 2GB DDR3; I'll be adding a 64GB OCZ SSD and installing Win 7 Home Premium.
So here's the deal: my dad's 82 and has some vision issues. With his current old rig, he manages, but really anything under 12 pt type on the screen is a no go. He has a flat panel monitor and we have to keep the res way below the native res just so the screen elements are large enough for him to see them.
With this new computer, we'll likely keep his monitor, so I want to do a better job of making the thing comfortable for him by using some Windows accessibility settings. Has anybody used these things to help an older person make use of a computer? I'd like to hear what you've tried and what you think.
I also want to be able to use whatever is the Win 7 version of "remote desktop"--live assistance maybe? So can help my dad remotely when he gets hung up--he's in Wisconsin, I'm in California.
Thanks for any replies!

Post subject: Re: Windows for older people
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Windows desktop is customizable through the display options in the control panel. Ideally, you'll leave the monitor at it's native resolution and simply enlarge the icons and print. Newer iterations of all the popular internet browsers have the same zoom-like features available to make print and other content larger, and thus more easily digested by older eyes. These settings can be manipulated through the options menu of the browser itself.

Configuring remote desktop...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 04238.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm 

vig1lant3 wrote:
...Newer iterations of all the popular internet browsers have the same zoom-like features available to make print and other content larger, and thus more easily digested by older eyes. These settings can be manipulated through the options menu of the browser itself.

Configuring remote desktop...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 04238.aspx

Thanks for your reply. I've checked out some of the windows settings and you remind me of browser features that I sorta knew were there but had forgotten. I need to think about all these things and get him set up the right way.
Thanks for the remote desktop link!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The oldest trick in the book is hold the CTRL key down and tap the + or the - key to make the page bigger or smaller, this includes the font and pictures. This works in any browser.

Using the accessibility options you can choose to make the arrow cursor bigger, I have done this recently and love it.

Nasty