Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: anyone buying skyrim?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

coastie65 wrote:
jktz122 wrote:
coastie65 wrote:
My EVGA 560Ti is stock out of the box, and it runs at about 60C to 63C in games ( including Skyrim and The Witcher 2 ). Right now just idling on the boards it is at 35C. I would check ot for dust build up if it has been installed for any length of time.

im still crashing on occasion i checked with evga and they said even at 150 degree farenheit im still within spec
it wouldnt crash because of it the card can go up to 65 deg celsius when it will shut itself down
so whatever crashes is happening its because the game code isnt up to snuff

I find that it will shut down at 65C hard to believe. have run many an Nvidia card at 70C - 75C with absolutely no problems. If it should reach 80C I would get a bit concerned and at 100C it is trouble and may well shut down. Anyway, there is supposed to be a patch coming this week sometime so we'll see.

evga told me to d/l the beta drivers they noticed lag and other issues in the game but they told me the beta drivers should clear up some things in skyrim .. hopefully the patch would also help

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Nastyman wrote:
coastie65 wrote:
I had missed the Baldurs Gate stuff and went in at Neverwinter Nights, which i really enjoyed ( Platinum Version ). I finally got the baldurs gate series ( 4 games ) and have been working on that. The graphics are a bit aged but fun anyway.

Buy Baldures Gate one and two, you will love both if you enjoyed Neverwinter Nights. Don't worry about graphics the story is great in both. Here are the patches for the games:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_ ... inal_saga/

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/baldurs ... ches.shtml

The Icewind Dale series you should look at too.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/icewind_dale_complete/

Planescape Torment Is another good D&D with a good story to go along with it. The graphics are old school. :wink:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

Nasty

ZOMG, thanks for the links!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:12 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Don't forget Icewind Dale series too!

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

bleh to the new patch . it seems to have broken more things than it fixed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Anyone know where the official site for Skyrim is?

I lost use of the mouse in game and I had to restart the game to get it running in-game again.

A while later for no reason I could see, Skyrim crashed to the desktop. They sure are writing craptacular game code these days....so sad.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nastyman wrote:
Anyone know where the official site for Skyrim is?

I lost use of the mouse in game and I had to restart the game to get it running in-game again.

A while later for no reason I could see, Skyrim crashed to the desktop. They sure are writing craptacular game code these days....so sad.

Nasty

http://www.elderscrolls.com/skyrim/
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/f ... -v-skyrim/

good luck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:52 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Thanks for the links...

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

they had a patch earlier in the week but honest to god i dont know what it fixed the game still looks gorgeous the game still slows to a crawl at times probably the graphic drivers trying to catch up its like driving a beautifull car but you can only drive 1 mile before needing to call a mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I'm about 15 hours in and really liking the game! I have only had 1 CTD at about 6 hours. I remember thinking that was way longer than it took for Fallout3, but faster than FONV. I am using Win7 Home, XFX 5850black, Corei5 2500k@4.4, 8gigs RAM, and a MSI P67 mobo.

Graphically, the only thing that really bugs me is when I look from a dark area to a bright area...well, I gues it is my character's eyes adjusting to the change. Wonder if there is a way to turn that off?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Bald_Yew wrote:
I'm about 15 hours in and really liking the game! I have only had 1 CTD at about 6 hours. I remember thinking that was way longer than it took for Fallout3, but faster than FONV. I am using Win7 Home, XFX 5850black, Corei5 2500k@4.4, 8gigs RAM, and a MSI P67 mobo.

Graphically, the only thing that really bugs me is when I look from a dark area to a bright area...well, I gues it is my character's eyes adjusting to the change. Wonder if there is a way to turn that off?

i keep crashing lvl 40 already and didnt even get past the first main quest and so far im sruck on all the side quests its taking forever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 am 

Bald_Yew wrote:

I believe that is the result of High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting. I haven't looked in the Skyrim settings for that, but in Oblivion there wasn an option to turn that off and go with "bloom" lighting instead. Or turn it off completely, but that kind of degrades the realism.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 am 

I'm finding the entire experience very satisfying. However, I tried to do ALOT of side quests before commencing in the main quest to experience the most out of the game. Now that my character is "King Shit" against anything you put it up against, the enemies seem too easy for me now. I am a Nord with skills mainly in the archery and the sneaking department. Everything is just too easy to kills now. Frost trolls are dead in 2 shots, Giants in 2 shots, and Dragons in anywhere from 5-6 legit shots. I'm running out of shit to do lol. I'm level 29 as of now for reference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jared11 wrote:
I'm finding the entire experience very satisfying. However, I tried to do ALOT of side quests before commencing in the main quest to experience the most out of the game. Now that my character is "King Shit" against anything you put it up against, the enemies seem too easy for me now. I am a Nord with skills mainly in the archery and the sneaking department. Everything is just too easy to kills now. Frost trolls are dead in 2 shots, Giants in 2 shots, and Dragons in anywhere from 5-6 legit shots. I'm running out of shit to do lol. I'm level 29 as of now for reference.

im doing mostly melee fighting smithing im up there but the game is boring me already especially since im crashing too often and one of my memory sticks died

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:18 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
im doing mostly melee fighting smithing im up there but the game is boring me already especially since im crashing too often and one of my memory sticks died

It was the memory stick killing the game, not the game itself.

I would run Memtest86+ on the remaining stick of ram to make sure it is ok and not tossing errors...one error and you need to replace the stick.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nastyman wrote:
Quote:

I would run Memtest86+ on the remaining stick of ram to make sure it is ok and not tossing errors...one error and you need to replace the stick.

Nasty

i bought those sticks as a set so if one blew a gut i should test the other? gskill id replaceing the blown unit
i admit i dont have experience with blown memory sticks it was a first for me ..
when i get home ill test it .. what should i look for ?

oh and p.s. i just got diablo 3 beta invite and so far im hooked and addicted .. only issue i have is when blizzards servers burped and went offline for a few minutes .. but i DID NOT CRASH TO DESKTOP .. like skyrim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nastyman wrote:
Quote:

Nasty

how do i run memtest says i have to make a bootdisc to a floppy or something but my system doesnt have a floppy drive

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:48 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

You can burn it to a CD - just use the instructions here under Windows Installation section:

http://www.memtest86.com/tech.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Most of the CTD's people have been having is due to Bethesda compiling the game with a 2GB address limit.

Yeah, as if it weren't enough to keep it DX9 to keep it "in line" with the Xbox360 version, and throw in a heavily consolified UI, they had to compile it with a 2GB address limit!

There's a work-around patch you can get at TES Nexus:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

I use this, and it works like a charm. Pretty much cures the issue entirely. You can tell it's the memory addressing issue because it doesn't crash until you've played for a while, and your character has more loot, more quests, etc.

Be sure to check out some of the other mods that have come out that improve textures (drastically!) foliage detail, shader quality, female face quality, and there's a really great one for the night sky as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Belboz99 wrote:
Most of the CTD's people have been having is due to Bethesda compiling the game with a 2GB address limit.

Yeah, as if it weren't enough to keep it DX9 to keep it "in line" with the Xbox360 version, and throw in a heavily consolified UI, they had to compile it with a 2GB address limit!

There's a work-around patch you can get at TES Nexus:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

I use this, and it works like a charm. Pretty much cures the issue entirely. You can tell it's the memory addressing issue because it doesn't crash until you've played for a while, and your character has more loot, more quests, etc.

Be sure to check out some of the other mods that have come out that improve textures (drastically!) foliage detail, shader quality, female face quality, and there's a really great one for the night sky as well.

i tried it and it didnt work right.. i think the 1.3 patch also has 4gb address

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:55 am 

On a side note, does anyone else find that being infected by vampirism sucks the big one? I cannot stand continuously having to sneak into civilians homes just to keep the vampire effects under control. I got sick of having to do this and above all got sick of EVERY township and clan attacking me because I was too vampire-like.

(If you also hate this "perk", just go to the Companions base beside Dragonreach and follow their quests. In doing this you will eventually acquire lycantrophy, AKA being that of a werewolf. Which in my opinion, is so much sicker than having to continuously suck peoples blood periodically.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next