Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Feedback on "Build It" in Holiday 20111 Issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I really enjoyed the "Build It" section of the Holiday 2011 issue of Maximum PC. Mr. Edwards' article was refreshing in that it showed the inherent "gotchas" that anyone who attempted to emulate his WHS build would come across and also detailed the ways in which he addressed these issues. I also liked the choices of the components that he used in building this WHS rig. However, he must have built this server sometime prior to the middle of October as the prices for the hard drives that were used in this build have jumped dramatically in the past month or so. The five Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB drives that were listed as costing $900 in the article now retail (at NewEgg) for $430 per drive (not including shipping) and currently have a limit of one per customer. These same drives are currently listed on Amazon for $340 and are being sold by an Amazon reseller known as Digitalet and they have only three of them available at this time. The Seagate Barracuda XT 1 TB hard drive that was listed as costing $80 in the article cannot be found currently on NewEgg's site, but are listed on Amazon as currently costing $136.38 and are being offered by an Amazon reseller known as OutletPC. Needless to say, this makes building your own WHS rig tougher not only from a financial standpoint, but from an availability standpoint as well.

Please note that the above is not a criticism, but rather an observation. The price hikes on hard drives are currently being blamed on the flooding that occurred last month in Thailand (where both Toshiba and WD have located some of their manufacturing facilities) and other factors that have an effect on economic laws of supply and demand. While it is damn near impossible to find a retail WHS server box here in the U.S., it appears as though its going to be somewhat difficult to build the WHS rig in Mr. Edwards' article (at least until the price and availabilitiy of hard drive storage come back to reasonable levels) at the present time.

Post subject: Re: Feedback on "Build It" in Holiday 20111 Issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

pcstudent wrote:
I really enjoyed the "Build It" section of the Holiday 2011 issue of Maximum PC. Mr. Edwards' article was refreshing in that it showed the inherent "gotchas" that anyone who attempted to emulate his WHS build would come across and also detailed the ways in which he addressed these issues. I also liked the choices of the components that he used in building this WHS rig. However, he must have built this server sometime prior to the middle of October as the prices for the hard drives that were used in this build have jumped dramatically in the past month or so. The five Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB drives that were listed as costing $900 in the article now retail (at NewEgg) for $430 per drive (not including shipping) and currently have a limit of one per customer. These same drives are currently listed on Amazon for $340 and are being sold by an Amazon reseller known as Digitalet and they have only three of them available at this time. The Seagate Barracuda XT 1 TB hard drive that was listed as costing $80 in the article cannot be found currently on NewEgg's site, but are listed on Amazon as currently costing $136.38 and are being offered by an Amazon reseller known as OutletPC. Needless to say, this makes building your own WHS rig tougher not only from a financial standpoint, but from an availability standpoint as well.

Please note that the above is not a criticism, but rather an observation. The price hikes on hard drives are currently being blamed on the flooding that occurred last month in Thailand (where both Toshiba and WD have located some of their manufacturing facilities) and other factors that have an effect on economic laws of supply and demand. While it is damn near impossible to find a retail WHS server box here in the U.S., it appears as though its going to be somewhat difficult to build the WHS rig in Mr. Edwards' article (at least until the price and availabilitiy of hard drive storage come back to reasonable levels) at the present time.

Parts factories are in Thailand too, meaning that everyone has component shortages ffor HDD parts. Seagate also has a factory or two closed down there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 pm 

This is something that must be perfectly obvious to everyone but me. In the server folders for backups, documents, music, pictures, etc, you said you used the move the folder command to assign each a different partition. My problem is how do get these various things into those specific folders in the first place? For example would I just move all my documents from my desktop documents folder to the Windows Home Server documents folder? And if I did that with my other computers wouldn't all the documents from all my computers be combined in one big documents folder on the Windows Home Server and wouldn't that be sort of a mess?
Than, Ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Make a folder for Computer 1, Computer 2 and Computer 3.
Then, inside the Computer 1 folder, make folders for documents, pictures, ect.
Do the same inside the Computer 2 and Computer 3 folders.
There are other ways to do this, but If I were ever to be able to get my router to work with the PC I set aside as an FTP, this is how I would organize it.
If you don't want to copy things by hand, use SyncToy from Microsoft to automatically update the backup folder.