Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Path to become a Network Administrator?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:41 am 

Hello, I am graduating high school in less then 4 weeks. I am looking into becoming a Network administrator so I can hopefully get a good career and make something out of my life. This is the program I'm looking into. http://www.dekalbtech.edu/content.cfm?PageCode=program_detail&programID=36 I was wondering if this is a good program to become a network administrator. I don't think that I have 4 years of college in me and that this could be a good way of getting to where i want to go. If you have any feed back or advice please let me know. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Path to become a Network Administrator?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Did you go through the Cisco program? That would help.
If you didn't get good grades/even do it, you will probably have to do a 4-year college. I would know because I've been researching the same things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 am 

I didn't go through any program. At least I haven't yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

What experience DO you have?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:50 am 

Well, Been taking apart computers since I was 7 and have been putting the back together and building working ones out of scrap junk since I was 16. Other than that, I've always loved computers. I've never had a problem with them that I didn't know what was wrong and I could always just get them and sorta understand what was wrong/going on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:54 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

That will help on the resume, but you will need certification in a programming language, and certification for networking stuff, I.E. the Cisco program at most highschools.
Python is a popular language right now, and Perl is usually a very good idea to learn.
Still, you want to get a college degree. This will tell employers that you are a hard worker and it will give you other options for jobs, if, for example, the internet ceases to exist, or, (more likely) you get laid off.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 am 

Well, will that college program I linked in my Original post be good enough along with some certifications?
http://www.dekalbtech.edu/content.cfm?PageCode=program_detail&programID=36

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:03 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

HeadSetJones wrote:
Well, will that college program I linked in my Original post be good enough along with some certifications?
http://www.dekalbtech.edu/content.cfm?PageCode=program_detail&programID=36

/
Yes, and it will get you some of that certification, but isn't it a 4 year program?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:36 pm 

Quote:
/
Yes, and it will get you some of that certification, but isn't it a 4 year program?

No, It's a two year program. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Network admins don't program. At most, you'll need some scripting languages and experience.

Taking apart PCs in your spare time is not something that you put on a professional resume. If you have space for that kind of 'experience' on your resume, you're not qualified for this job.

Nogiri .. please, do not offer advice in this arena. You're not qualified. I mean that as politely and sincerely as possible.

HeadSetJones: that program is a decent start. It will teach you the basics. Supplement that education with experience in the field .. as a co-op, intern, or anything that you can find .. and expect to work your way up. Even work on a help desk or as an IT tech will be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Jipstyle wrote:
Network admins don't program. At most, you'll need some scripting languages and experience.

Taking apart PCs in your spare time is not something that you put on a professional resume. If you have space for that kind of 'experience' on your resume, you're not qualified for this job.

Nogiri .. please, do not offer advice in this arena. You're not qualified. I mean that as politely and sincerely as possible.

HeadSetJones: that program is a decent start. It will teach you the basics. Supplement that education with experience in the field .. as a co-op, intern, or anything that you can find .. and expect to work your way up. Even work on a help desk or as an IT tech will be helpful.

I've been staring at a screen trying to find out the best way to do this. Mom, who has researched this extensively, was speaking through my account. She does have the qualifications. I do not dispute that the person normally using the "Noghiri_X" handle is not qualified.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:41 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

noghiri_x wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

I've been staring at a screen trying to find out the best way to do this. Mom, who has researched this extensively, was speaking through my account. She does have the qualifications. I do not dispute that the person normally using the "Noghiri_X" handle is not qualified.

Ok, fair enough ... please do ask your mom to use her own account when she wants to post.

However, the person who responded in this thread, regardless of their qualifications, posted what I believe was incorrect information and bad advice.

I've worked in this field for over a decade, have hired people in this field and for positions such as this, and am quite certain that no one will ever hire a Network Admin who has 'I've built my own PC' on their resume. It is the equivalent of saying "I change my own oil" when applying to a position as a mechanic.

Network Admins do not program, by and large. If a particular position does require programming, it will mention it in the ad. Someone who aspires to be a Network Admin should not worry about learning to program ... it just isn't part of that trade. Python and perl are very useful languages, to be sure, and a Sys Admin would want perl and shell scripting as part of their tool kit .. but a network admin generally isn't asked to produce code.

Network certs are a good idea, though the base education should be taken care of first. Most importantly, finding relevant work experience will help the OP get hired.

Please PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:09 am 
Willamette
Willamette

If you want the simple answer to becoming a Network Admin or System Admin here it is. Study, Study, and Keep Studying. It never stops -- ever! This is if you are doing Network Admin, System Admin, Desktop Support or Phone Support. Things change all the time. As far as what to do to get to the spot you want that is a little more tricky.

For me it is a bit late in the game so I know I'll be doing desktop support forever but have really good knowledge of a system admin. I have my A+, Network+ MCP, MCTS (2) for Server 2008, WCSP-XTM and CSSA certs and over 15-years exp. Yet, at 38-years old, and with the job market the way it is, I'll stay where I am. However, that is not for everyone. So with that said....

For you since you are young, and enjoy it as it goes by really fast, study Windows Server 2008, CCNA material as well as Linux (the command line not the GUI.) Forget Windows XP, Vista or 7 for what you want to do it is pointless. Also forget taking computers apart. While fun, you won't be doing that.

Certs, they are good to have but honestly not necessary. Till you get about 3-5 years under, the certs are just a piece of paper and your manager will know it. Personally I would do a year or two in deskside and continue to learn. After that start applying for Network or system admin stuff. Phone > Deskside > Network Admin is generally the natural progression anyhow.