Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Registry cleaners. To be or not to be?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I have used CCleaner's Reg cleaner for years. I had no problems on my Raptor HDD OS drive on my last build. My new build hates it! Using a Vertex 3 SSD and it has left my registry fragmented and damaged. Defragmenting the reg in Windows 7 is also pointless I've read. One day I'll get around to a fresh install of Windows 7.

From what I've read reg cleaners are BAD! They slow your system down by deleting unnecessary entries but that leaves gaps in the registry. When you install a new program it fills those gaps in an very unoptimized way that can actually slow your computer down. I've also read that you can have hundreds of thousands of unnecessary entries and it won't affect system performance at all.

Problem is reg cleaners are so convenient! Especially if you have a rouge entry messing up your PC, hit the clean reg button and you are usually good to go while your registry slowly becomes more and more unstable. The proper solution would be to do some research and manually remove the rouge entries but really? It is almost 2012, digging through the registry is something I don't want to do anymore.

Windows 7 users, what are your thoughts on defragmenting and/or cleaning out the registry?

-ddb

Post subject: Re: Registry cleaners. To be or not to be?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

That is the question.
My dad has had a major stability increase with a cleaner, but I have only gotten BSODs on my build.
It probably depends from program to program.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:14 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Just stick to CCleaner honestly. It only deletes "safe" settings that won't bork your system. As far as cleaners working, for the most part they do. Programs may leave entries behind that add to your right-click menu or a dead application that still is attached to a file type. As far as what is noticeable, well that varies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am 

Been runnin' Win 7 since the beta release. Have used CCleaner to first swab the deck(so to speak), then Wise Reg cleaner/defragger. In that order, at the end of every day. Configged IE options to empty the temp files folder, and tweaked the registry to purge the swap file at shutdown/restart.

I have NO problems, a 6.5 WEI score, and a good attitude.

So, to sum up...I would if I were you. I walk my own talk.

Horatio