Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Setting Up a Router Access Point?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm 

Here is my dilemma: I once had cable internet (~12 Mbps) > modem > router > computer. Now I have bonded DSL (~25 Mbps) > required company modem/router > computer(s). I would like to reintroduce my old router, which contains all of my web-serving configurations into the line: DSL > required modem/router > old router > computer(s).

I want to turn of DHCP on the modem/router (Cisco DDR2200-CL) and use it as (forgive me if I have the wrong term) access point. I want my old router to be the DHCP server.

I think I have a plan of attack which is to assign the modem/router (for sake of simplicity I will just call this the modem) an IP address. Change the function of the modem to an access point and turn of the DHCP server. Assign the router an IP address by MAC address in the modem's setup. Connect a LAN port of the modem to a LAN port of the router. Connect my hardwired devices to the router and then have access to the web. All of this while making sure not to allow conflicting IP's by either manually assigning or DHCP range. I don't need the modem to broadcast wirelessly or have any other devices other than the router connected to it.

Access points are completely new to me, so if anyone can tell me if I am heading in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Also, verify that I can't plug the modem LAN port to the router's WAN port.

TIA,
jfluckey

Post subject: Re: Setting Up a Router Access Point?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm 

The easiest solution is to connect the modem+router to the old router, LAN to WAN, respectively, and only use the AP from the old router:

[modem+router (ap disabled)](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[old router (ap enabled)]

DHCP remains enabled on both devices since each maintains its own distinct network. Just make sure the modem+router and old router use DIFFERENT subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) to avoid ambiguity.

On the downside, now you're doubled NAT'd, which can complicate port forwarding and increase ping times for gaming. But if those are not applicable, it's by far the easiest solution. And if you want to make port forwarding a little easier, give the WAN port of the old router an IP from the network of the modem+router, then specify that same IP in the DMZ of the modem+router. Now all the traffic that hits the firewall of the modem+router will be redirected to your old router. And then you just do all your normal port forwarding on the old router as if the modem+router was only a modem.

Note, sometimes these modem+routers have a configuration option called "bridge mode", which demotes the device to simple modem. If you have that option, that's even better. Now you can just connect the modem+router to your old router like any other modem (LAN to WAN, respectively).

If you try to go LAN to LAN, that gets a bit messy because now you have to decide which one runs the DHCP server, which one runs the AP, make sure each has its own unique IP in the same network, and worst of all (imo), you can no longer use the firewall features of your old router (since obviously those only apply over its WAN port, which you’re not using in this configuration). It’s this last issue that usually presents the biggest issue for most ppl. Usually the firewall features of these modem+routers are not nearly as robust as standalone routers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:05 am 

My modem/router does have a bridging option, but the instructions are under the wireless topic in the user manual. That's why I thought access point was the correct term. Maybe I will try setting it to bridge and see if I can still connect the WAN of the old router to the LAN of the modem/router. Does this make sense that it is an option under the wireless setup?

I forgot to mention, the modem/router has to come first in line because the data coming in from the DSL line is bonded (~two signals). The modem/router is special in that it combines both "signals" into one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm 

The bridging option under the wireless section is NOT the bridge mode option I was referring to. That's wireless bridging based on WDS (Wireless Distribution System), which allows the AP to associate with another WDS-enabled AP. The bridge mode I'm referring to changes how the modem+router handles the connection from the ISP. In bridge mode, the modem+router would disable all its routing functions and pass the public IP directly to the WAN port of your old router. But after quickly skimming the manual, it doesn't appear to be an option (at least I couldn't find it).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/a ... 6168_A.pdf

(assuming I have the right device)