All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Not happy with Maximum PC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:01 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I dropped my subscription for many a reason:
* Obsession of Microsoft only operating systems
* I've written many articles that they wrote in Linux for *BSD and was ignored
* They do not care for the greater good of PC in the real term of PC (Personal Computer)
* Bashing a mac and saying it is for sissies is silly; I'm an engineer give me the facts (I ended up just finding my own facts)
* All of their tests for a long while were flawed, don't know about now.
* Anandtech provides more factual and far more thorough information on EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME FOR FREE.
* US Only competitions/draws
* Focus of the magazine was lost in a maze of www.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

JonPhillips wrote:
Fifth, I just like getting cool stuff in the mail! Having my favorite magazines show up in the mailbox is an event for me ...
Yes, I'l like that too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I too let my Maximum PC subscription lapse because all the articles I was interested in were appearing online before I got the magazine in the mail. :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

@pcfxer Actually, the same publishing house that does MaximumPC has a magazine that is exclusively for Macs. It's called Maclife and its url is http://www.maclife.com in case you want it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:10 pm 

the website has adds? I never noticed. abp does great for that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

On a side note, ads pay for the content you enjoy for free!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:07 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

nedwards wrote:
On a side note, ads pay for the content you enjoy for free!

This is why I won't drop my print sub.

If it's kosher to ask, will you guys make more $ from the digital editions or print? Inquiring minds who like ABP and also want to support the mag would like to know.

Edit: Jon already answered that one, I think. Print is probably not making much $, but I still like to support it anyway. Think next stop is for me to pick up the Nook ed. too

Last edited by AliusBU on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 am 

Don't waste money on the vendor lockin version. Hold out until MPC joins the fight against DRM!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 am 

JonPhillips wrote:
Hi all... Jon Phillips here. I was the executive editor of boot, the editor of MPC from 1999-2003, and editorial director of MPC ever since 2003. If you're a faithful enthusiast of MPC and/or have corresponded with me in the past, you know that I won't feed you a load of BS. So let me be perfectly honest about our online posting philosophies.

When push comes to shove, all major content that appears in the print magazine is eventually posted online. Some content is posted as soon as it's written (and thus before the print mag is even laid out); some is posted when the print mag starts shipping to newsstands and subscribers; and some is dribbled out during the weeks after the print mags starts shipping.

For really high-profile articles, we're sensitive to being trumped online by our own fan base. In the case of DM2011, this compelled us to post the article as soon as the print mag began shipping -- precisely because we wanted to beat those readers who would scan the article and begin commenting on our build-out before we even got a chance to present the information ourselves. So that was a key motivating factor in posting the DM2011 story "early." We didn't want some Facebook, forum or blog posting stealing our thunder.

But I'll be frank with you all: Building up our online presence is a key necessity as the enthusiast population (and retail chains like Borders and Best Buy) abandon print magazines, and we are comfortable in taking a calculated risk in pissing off a few print readers in exchange for attracting more online readers. And believe it or not, we get very few print readers complaining about our online practices -- the number is small enough to risk a few disgruntled customers. Yes, it shocks me too. One would think we would have legions of print readers flipping us off with a big "F you!" but the complaints are spotty at best. I know this is of little solace to the folks on this thread, but we've been simultaneously posting and printing the same content for years now, and complaints from print readers about what one might call "pre-emptive online strikes" have been inconsequential in the larger scheme of all the factors that could hurt our overall business. I'm not writing this to diminish your heartfelt complaint against our company. But I do want to be honest in explaining why we do what we do.

Also, FWIW, what we do is the new norm in magazine publishing. Pretty much the entire print magazine business simultaneously posts online now. Why? Because the print business is under assault, and publishers are doing whatever they can to keep their magazine brands alive in a new media format -- i.e., online. Retail chains that sell print magazines are either closing (Borders) or kicking out magazine racks (Best Buy). Subscribers and newsstand reader numbers are dwindling as the entire world population has many more options as far as where to get their information (TV, Twitter, blogs, websites, etc) and how to spend their leisure time (video on demand, TV in general, video gaming, to name just a few). And leisure time itself is impacted as we find ourselves working more, commuting more, and dealing with more and more distractions. All of this erodes the traditional magazine business. Meanwhile advertisers are no longer supporting magazines like they use to, and for the magazines hurt the hardest, their publishers would have to raise cover prices to $15 and subs to $75 to make up the difference. But they know the public won't pay these prices. So they look for anyway possible to remain afloat -- including building out websites to earn back some of those advertising dollars.

Does everyone understand that magazines are "subsidized" -- that when you pay $12 (or even $20) for a yearly subscription to some magazine, the publisher is often selling that magazine at a LOSS? Twelve magazines over the course of a year cost way more than $12 to write, photograph, lay out, print and especially MAIL all across North America. And postal rates are only going up. Gasoline prices are killing the middle class all over, and not only when we fill up our cars at the pump. It drives up prices across many, many industries, including the trucking/shipping industry. America is a huge-ass piece of land, and getting MPC all across the continent costs a pretty penny. Anyhow, the point being, advertising has offset all these costs, and allowed publishers to essentially sell magazines at a loss. But those days are over. The print business is under assault, and that's why publishers like Future are building out their online presences, and taking smart, informed, calculated risks while doing so.

So why even buy a print magazine? Good question. And I can share an answer as a subscriber of some 20 different print magazines. First, I don't like reading long-form articles on a computer or even a tablet screen. It hurts my eyes, and on a mental level I just find it obnoxious. I want to read long-form content on paper, via reflected light. Second, I like the tactile feel of print, and the fact that a print magazine is bendable, and something truly tangible. I'm willing to pay money for this experience, but that's just me. Third, I like the convenience factor of print. I can easily read a magazine on the couch, on a plane, and bounce from page to page in a seamless, organic, non-linear fashion. I don't want to hit a back button or hyperlink to get to where I want to be next. Fourth, photography, infographics and overall design simply shines better on the printed magazine page. It's an experience in and of itself. It's rich, inviting and that much more dramatic. Fifth, I just like getting cool stuff in the mail! Having my favorite magazines show up in the mailbox is an event for me, and honestly I have no desire to read the content online if I know I'll be getting it in the mail within 3-7-10 days time. Sixth, I do make enough money every month to feed my magazine habit. Even a $20 yearly subscription is like three cheap lunches, and I get a lot more pleasure from 12 magazine issues during the course of the year than three middling burritos. In other words, the amount of money I spend on mag subscription isn't going to break my bank, and it's a cheap indulgence that I easily justify.

So that's my take on print versus web. I think if I were only interested in the pure, raw information itself, I would be fine with an online-only experience. But I like magazines, and I'm willing to pay for them. Sadly, this is an increasingly minority position, and that's why the magazine industry is struggling. If anyone feels that MPC print is a huge rip-off, then do the only logical thing: Quit buying it. I would expect nothing less from an MPC reader. Our parent company is prepared to deal with the consequences, and we don't begrudge anyone their decisions. It's your money, folks. Spend it wisely.

Can you pin that up as a stickie, or perhaps publish it in the next print magazine?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 am 

STRANGE! I get MPC WELL before anything of the CURRENT calendar month. Perfect example this is October, BUT I am reading MPC magazine (paper issue) December 2011 issue. I see nothing REGARDING December's issue on the MPC message board as of yet. And for the moaners I was reading
replys from, come the December issue when you recieve it, it will be MAXIMUM computer, and ONLY computer related articles for the December 2011 issue. I've been reading MPC before EVEN the days of Boot magazine! Yes there was a print Magazine by Imagine media that HELD these, and former editors.
Jon Phillips knows who they were. You have this craptastic outdated by the time you recieve it in the mail CPU magazine. WANNA talk about being already outdated technology by the time you get it
in your mailbox, read that rag. LOL Even the Saint is disenchanted with them! MaximumPC is by far the most up to date magazine out there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
your news is old, cpu is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:51 pm 

There is so much wrong with this magazine and it isn't concerning what shows up where first.
I won't list any unless I am asked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:58 am 

I've read a few PC mag's before I decided which one I wanted. I ended up choosing MaxPC as the rest sucked. I'm 21 and I believe I'm the only guy I know that subscribes to a tech mag. Everyone else subscribes to Men's Health, GQ or Sports Illustrated/ESPN. I'm a journo, so it's probably why I subscribe to more mags than normal, but it's depressing to see the state of the publishing industry.

I geek out over circulation rates. MaxPC apparently had close to 300K subscribers and now it's down to around 200K. That's a massive drop! I can tell you right now online ads make no money. My managing editor told me a print reader brings in ~700 while an online reader brings in ~20. That's just the figures for us, but holy crap!

It's depressing, but what you can you do? In Canada, mags get subsidized by the government http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1268240166828/1268328701928), so things aren't too bad here yet.

And to make it worse, the CBC isn't hiring. Why did I choose to enter this profession again?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

daveok wrote:
Why did I choose to enter this profession again?

We're masochists. It's the only explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 am 

Agreed. I used to be excited to get my issue every month and now I barely have enough interest to read it. I'm tired of seeing all the same articles that are in the magazine posted online. I open the magazine and it's "wait, didn't I already read this?". Some of the bits and smaller sections are still interesting but they don't make it worth subscribing. Yeah, I could stop visiting the website but I shouldn't have to and I don't think that's what MaxPC wants either. I'm not renewing my subscription unless they start keeping the mag articles exclusive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:49 am 

bling581 wrote:
Agreed. I used to be excited to get my issue every month and now I barely have enough interest to read it. I'm tired of seeing all the same articles that are in the magazine posted online. I open the magazine and it's "wait, didn't I already read this?". Some of the bits and smaller sections are still interesting but they don't make it worth subscribing. Yeah, I could stop visiting the website but I shouldn't have to and I don't think that's what MaxPC wants either. I'm not renewing my subscription unless they start keeping the mag articles exclusive.

I imagine the "brains" at MAX pc have done their research and have concluded that the kids want to read how to build a computer every month but to me it seems very lazy of the staff. I don't care if something is posted previously online as I don't spend time at this website.

I wouldn't be surprised if the paper edition is discontinued in the near future.

As for renewing...I say I won't but I like to have something to read in the library.

There really aren't any other options

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Wow! You know, probably one out of every five questions posted on this forum is "what would be the best build for me?" I'd say the staff is just giving people what they want by building a different box for a different purpose every month. @Zway, I thought you weren't gong to say anything unless someone asked? I didn't see anybody ask... :|

Anyway, I had to let my subscription lapse because I just don't have the money to renew at this time of year. As a partially disabled veteran going back to school, and surviving on my GI Bill and computer repair jobs in this shitty economy, there are those times of year where extra money is a thing that doesn't exist for me. Although this is the first time in 3 years I've let my subscription lapse, at least I am reminded how much I do enjoy the rag on a monthly basis.

I look forward to re-upping my subscription. Hopefully there are enough like minded people still subscribing, lacking in any sense of false entitlement, and of a realistic mindset that the world doesn't owe them anything, that the rag won't go belly up before I get back. Until then, I will still be a frequent post-er, always looking to help out any way I can, and eagerly awaiting that first issue of a new 12 month prescription of my MaxPC medicine.

Keep up the good work guys (eds), and don't let the detractors discourage you. Some people, perhaps disillusioned by just how easy they have had it in life, or maybe just expecting everyone to cater to them cause their momma told 'em they're special, just aren't happy unless they're whining and complaining about something. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:06 pm 

vig1lant3 wrote:
Wow! You know, probably one out of every five questions posted on this forum is "what would be the best build for me?" I'd say the staff is just giving people what they want by building a different box for a different purpose every month. @Zway, I thought you weren't gong to say anything unless someone asked? I didn't see anybody ask... :|

Anyway, I had to let my subscription lapse because I just don't have the money to renew at this time of year. As a partially disabled veteran going back to school, and surviving on my GI Bill and computer repair jobs in this shitty economy, there are those times of year where extra money is a thing that doesn't exist for me. Although this is the first time in 3 years I've let my subscription lapse, at least I am reminded how much I do enjoy the rag on a monthly basis.

I look forward to re-upping my subscription. Hopefully there are enough like minded people still subscribing, lacking in any sense of false entitlement, and of a realistic mindset that the world doesn't owe them anything, that the rag won't go belly up before I get back. Until then, I will still be a frequent post-er, always looking to help out any way I can, and eagerly awaiting that first issue of a new 12 month prescription of my MaxPC medicine.

Keep up the good work guys (eds), and don't let the detractors discourage you. Some people, perhaps disillusioned by just how easy they have had it in life, or maybe just expecting everyone to cater to them cause their momma told 'em they're special, just aren't happy unless they're whining and complaining about something. :roll:

I just thought I would post something because I am subscribed to this thread. It wasn't my intention to upset you and I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:13 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Who's upset? It's an open forum full of the gift of free speech. I was simply holding you accountable to your earlier statement. ;)

The remainder of my post was not directed as a reply to yours, but as a position in general. By all means speak your mind, especially if you have something constructive to add.

As a whole, this thread needs more 8) and less :cry: I don't know of anything in the world that's perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:01 am 

vig1lant3 wrote:
Who's upset? It's an open forum full of the gift of free speech. I was simply holding you accountable to your earlier statement. ;)

The remainder of my post was not directed as a reply to yours, but as a position in general. By all means speak your mind, especially if you have something constructive to add.

As a whole, this thread needs more 8) and less :cry: I don't know of anything in the world that's perfect.

I sure don't need accountability to you, do I now?