Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2600k Voltage Issue/Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:05 pm 

I've posted this elsewhere as well, but i'm really looking for a way to fix this so any help would be appreciated.

Okay... Hopefully someone can help me understand and/or fix this issue, let me get started with my system:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 850W PSU
Corsair H100 Cooler
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5 GHz (originally at 4.8)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 250GB
2 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970's in Crossfire

The issue I'm having is with voltage fluctuations. I understand this as vdroop, and is quite normal, however my problem is that when under full load the voltage drops significantly to keep the higher clock going. I've been trying to achieve a good mix of overclocking and temps. I was originally running @ 4.8 Ghz with a voltage of 1.44. Under a stable full load (prime95 blend, IBT) I was seeing the voltage drop to 1.424 with load temps in the low to mid 70's.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2045196

I decided to sacrifice 300 mhz and drop my clock to 4.5 Ghz and my voltage to 1.370. Again, under a stable full load (prime95, IBT) I have a stable clock and my load temps are 60c, and the voltage shows 1.344.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2047112

My problem is the fact that if I drop the voltage to anything under 1.370 it's no longer stable at the 4.5 clock. So why on earth do I need to needlessly run my pc at a higher resting voltage when the computer is stable at a lower voltage of 1.344 under load?

What I would ultimately like to do is have the voltage sit at 1.345, or even 1.35 at idle/load so I don't need to have extra needless power and heat running to the proc.

Right now I have:

vcore pwm mode set to extreme
vcore phase control set to extreme
overcurrent protection set to 120%
LLC is set at 50%
pll overvoltage is enabled
Bios is updated to the latest build

I also read somewhere that i should take my voltage while under load (1.344) and subtract it from my VID (1.3611) and set the voltage offset (rounding +0.020) to keep the voltage from jumping around. Honestly, I don't understand it all. I've been reading for HOURS trying to figure out the issue. (i don't even know how to set this with the mobo I have.)

So my problem (regardless of the actual overclocking i'm trying to achieve) is that i'm getting too much resting/idle voltage, while the pc is stable under load at a much lower voltage.

Should I not worry about this so much? My temps are fine @ 60c under load. I guess the point is I'd like to drop the voltage to the absolute minimum needed for the stable overclock, while keeping my temps at the lowest level possible.

Post subject: Re: 2600k Voltage Issue/Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:11 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Can I assume that you disabled SpeedStep? How about Load Line Calibration?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm 

silence wrote:
vcore pwm mode set to extreme
vcore phase control set to extreme
overcurrent protection set to 120%
LLC is set at 50%
pll overvoltage is enabled
Bios is updated to the latest build

Loadline (LLC) is at 50%

Well, was. I've increased it to 75% to test some ideas... While I'm still having the issue, i've learned something valuable tonight which has allowed me to really drop my vcore and keep it stable. CPU PLL voltage was at auto putting out 1.8v, I've dropped this down to 1.625v which in turn allowed me to reduce vcore from 1.370 to 1.330 (which i'm at replying to this thread). If it's stable i'll try 1.325, so on and so forth.

And no, speed step isn't disabled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

SpeedStep is likely the cause of your voltage fluctuations. When the system boots, it does so with the CPU multi at max, at least until after POST when the BIOS hands off to the OS. Once the OS is booted, the CPU speed, and along with it the voltage, drops to idle levels.

You may also consider disabling Load Line Calibration so the system runs at Intel spec.