Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: oh... so... lazy...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:48 pm 

I hate wireless. Thats basically what it comes down to. I cannot deal with the constant discons and crappy signal. My father (who owns this particular house) does not wish to run rj45 cables from one side of the house to the other. However, there just so happens to be a coaxial cable running that is not currently being used. I was wondering if there were any way to convert my router connection (rj45) to coaxial and back again on the other side of the house. I know some of the old networks used to run on British Naval Connections (BNC), which were also coaxially based. I was wondering if this task were possible. If so, do you know a reliable vendor that I can purchase these conversion items from? Thanks again - I love you MaxPC Forums.

- Chris

Post subject: Re: oh... so... lazy...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:18 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

virtualchaos wrote:
I hate wireless. Thats basically what it comes down to. I cannot deal with the constant discons and crappy signal. My father (who owns this particular house) does not wish to run rj45 cables from one side of the house to the other. However, there just so happens to be a coaxial cable running that is not currently being used. I was wondering if there were any way to convert my router connection (rj45) to coaxial and back again on the other side of the house. I know some of the old networks used to run on British Naval Connections (BNC), which were also coaxially based. I was wondering if this task were possible. If so, do you know a reliable vendor that I can purchase these conversion items from? Thanks again - I love you MaxPC Forums.

- Chris

should be doable. you just need a couple of converters to go from RJ45 to BNC.

i had no idea BNC = British Naval Connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:21 am 

Good deal, I wasn't sure if I could just convert it like that. I tried googling and searching newegg but I can't find any vendors that I would be comfortable giving my credit card number to that has such an adapter. Has anybody done this before and know of any dealer that sells them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:27 am 
Northwood
Northwood

virtualchaos wrote:
Good deal, I wasn't sure if I could just convert it like that. I tried googling and searching newegg but I can't find any vendors that I would be comfortable giving my credit card number to that has such an adapter. Has anybody done this before and know of any dealer that sells them?

you might need to check eBay, as i know most places should already have these things discontinued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:56 pm 

I found a couple converters for about 80 bucks on froogle... would this be right?
http://www.elotusland.com//product_deta ... 01ADNW0000
I mean... it seems like it should work...