Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XBox 360 for the beginer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:37 pm 

Hello,
I'm a senior citizen. My son setup his XBox 360 in our spare room so he & I could play some games. We use to play Nintendo & Atari games long ago. My son (31 yrs. old) has been very patient helping me learn the latest controller. But I am having a really hard time catching on. I have played many games on the aforementioned game platforms & on the PC. But the XBox controller has so much going on, it baffles me.

Does anyone know of any XBox games that would make a great instructional tool to make it easier for an old geezer (or should I say old "geeker") to learn the controller??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Phuz

Post subject: Re: XBox 360 for the beginer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I can't recommend any game (I'm a PC gamer) but I would warn you to stay away from First Person Shooters (FPS) at first or you'll get frustrated quickly (one of the reasons why I stayed with PC after trying a console)
Try something like racing games similar to Mario Cart to get used to the stick (or something that doesn't require you to aim a cross-hair :P), that's what I did and it worked for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:24 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

It really depends on the games you'll be playing. First person shooters are they hardest to get used to in my opinion. The easiest way to get better really is just practice a little. Once you get the basics of the controls it becomes second nature to move and aim at the same time. If the games your playing has a single player option, play that a bit every once in a while.
If you got the names of the games you'll be playing post them here and I can probably give you more game specific tips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Asking about console gaming on a forum called "Maximum PC" is risky at best. lol

I just use my xbox 360 to stream netflix since I got it free with a student deal with a laptop this summer. Now that I don't have netflix anymore, its a useless piece of junk. Although it fills the vital role of being next to the multimedia receiver under the tv... so there's that I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

maybe hit up the XBOX Live arcade - they have some basic games to play - there's even tetris, i think...

maybe some side scroll type games

ooh maybe something like assassin's creed brotherhood - the xbox controls are really good, and it provides a tutorial for its controls at the start of the game, with some practice modes to test quickness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:26 am 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. This will be a great help. I have been looking at some games such as adventure games in the vein of Myst, Zelda, & some even suggested Riven since the sequel to Myst. So I guess I will be visiting GameSpot soon.

Thanks again for your help!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Phuztone wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. This will be a great help. I have been looking at some games such as adventure games in the vein of Myst, Zelda, & some even suggested Riven since the sequel to Myst. So I guess I will be visiting GameSpot soon.

Thanks again for your help!!

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion! While it isn't a traditional adventure game it gives you the freedom to go out and explore as much as you like. I recently got sucked back into playing the game again and at level 16 I've only done the first few main quest levels. The other 8 hours we're spent solely on exploration, dungeon crawling, and practicing alchemy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 am 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I going to try several of these.