Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows reactivation...again?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:24 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Today Windows 7 told me I had 3 days left to reactivate my OS or I would lose out on features. Usually only major hardware changes cause this. Now apparently hardware drivers cause it too? I was running fine up until I decided to update my video card drivers. Now all of a sudden I have 3 days to reactivate Windows? Does this seem right? I have a fully licensed version of Windows 7 Pro I bought off Newegg a couple years ago.

Post subject: Re: Windows reactivation...again?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:15 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

If you haven't already, just restart the machine. I've had this a quite a few times over fully activated installed and this solved it. It just seems to be a hiccup that's all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

No amount of restarting is solving this as I wish it would. I'm also unable to start MBAM using all methods suggested (renaming included). I think I may have a bug that has de-activated Windows on me and I have no way to detect it. I don't want to have to call the automated line for re-activation, as I don't think I should have to. I have no hardware changes since my last activation. I mean worst comes to worst, I call the number and they tell me I need to buy a new key. Then I simply install Linux and run that full time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

You won't need to buy a new key if you purchased it legitimately. If you haven't fixed it yet, as long as you have the key you can try this. In elevated command prompt, enter "slmgr /upk". This will uninstall the current product key. Now you can just input your key again and re-activate it (hopefully).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Tried it. Put in the same key and it still didn't like it. This is right from the Microsoft website. "Windows validation detected and repaired an activation exploit (used to prevent Windows Vista built-in licensing from operating properly). You must activate Windows in order to complete the repair process and be able to use the full functionality of Windows Vista. Not to worry, we can help you with that." Then they show me a page where they want to charge me $150 for a new key. This is such BS. Microsoft can suck it if they think I'm putting down that much for an error on their own part.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If what you're saying it true about purchasing at Newegg, you should be able to make your case to either side, but as you seem more apt to roll over then give a rational explanation, one can only think that you are using some sort of hack then it being some sort of error on their part.

Sorry man...your guilt is outing you... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:40 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Screw that! I can pinpoint to Microsoft exactly when and where I bought Windows 7. I'm just so sick and tired of having to go through the steps every time I change anything in my computer. Want to OC? reactivate. Need to replace defective RAM? reactivate. Didn't do anything and haven't reactivated Windows in a while? reactivate. Microsoft discovers a reactivation loophole and all of a sudden I have to buy a new key? I THINK NOT! I have to pay once to have Windows. I have to pay to "maintain it". I'll be damned if I'm going to be bullied around and expected to pay another 150 dollars on top of the 200 that I already paid in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:34 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Then why the need make that argument here..or any other non-associated forum for that matter?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:35 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Because for one I'm a long time MaximumPC reader and secondly the forum states "Discuss your MS operating system tips, tricks and questions here." And like my post asks, reactivation...again? Last I knew a question about reactivating Windows falls well within this forum's guidelines. Now my question is why are you here "answering" a question if you have absolutely nothing relevant to say in regards to me question?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

...so then you posted in the wrong section and this probably belongs in the dog pound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:39 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Try http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and see what comes up.
This thread was helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll be looking into it this weekend possibly and seeing if I can't still get it reactivated. I know it can't be that hard to get it done the way the instructions show. But I stopped at the point where Microsoft only offered to sell me a new key. That's what made me decide "The heck with Windows, I'm going Linux".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Ok so that link was somewhat of help. But I'm thinking I'll still need to buy a new key. I passed the genuine test and have now been granted 30 days to activate. Now my problem still lies within activation. The process is still telling me that my key cannot be used and it gives me the code of 0xC004C008. According to the Microsoft knowledgebase support, this code means I have gone through all of my available activations. Apparently you're only allowed up to 6 different machines and only 10 activations per machine. You may only have one machine activated at a time. I may be at the 6 machines due to various major hardware changes in the past. But I know I'm not close to the 10 per machine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:23 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

So pick up the phone, and talk to a human. (Yes, there are humans at MS that you can talk to.)
The phone number can be found in the activation applet (select "activate by phone.") Explain (and, be polite!) the situation that you're in. They should issue you a new key. Provided that you're polite, professional, and don't come across as someone trying to pull something shady.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:47 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I have had to call MS and reactivate. I've been able to do so through the automated system, mostly. There have been a couple of times I have had to actually talk to a human. (Oh the horror!!)
I've NEVER been refused a reactivation.
Just tell them what happened. I give you a 99.999999999999999999999999+% chance of being granted a reactivation.