Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone bite on Deus Ex:Human Revolution yet???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm kind of debating on whether to pick this one up or not... I loved the original, never finished the sequel. So anyone play it yet??? If so, opinions Vs original / sequel or as a stand-alone game???

Post subject: Re: Anyone bite on Deus Ex:Human Revolution yet???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:52 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

If you're the sort of person who buys games full-price, all the things people are saying seem to make it worth it. I got screwed when I bought Fallout 3 a few years ago, so now I refuse to buy a game within the first few months, so I'll wait until Human Revolution is like $15.... However, it looks really good. I was quite tempted to just break down and buy it now, but then my 30 unplayed games on Steam made me realize that would be a mistake, so I spent my five hours of game time this weekend playing TF2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I was having fun with it until I hit the first boss fight. It is like nutz, you shoot him in the face with an assault rifle and nothing happens...even ran out of ammo LOL! Now who can you shoot in the face and not die....this is really lame in my humble opinion!

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'd give it a 6/10.

Graphics are 2005
Boss fights are LAME
Storyline is interesting but predictable
Numerous ways to figure things out is nice
Augmentation options are good
AI is awful, and I mean terrible
Locations are somewhat immersive but not very open

It's not a bad game by any means and those who really like action/rpg's will probably love it. I've always been interested in genetics and the future so the universe is very interesting and something human kind will have to deal with in 50-100 years time from now (game takes place a little too early in my opinion) but there are some factors that hold the game back from being really good, mostly the boss fights and the terrible enemy AI. The boss fights aren't too often so I can deal with those but just sitting behind a box and popping guys in the head one after the other doesn't stand out in a good way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I missed the boat on the Deus Ex games when they first came out, but I picked up 1 and 2 on a Steam sale last year. I originally thought the first one was insanely difficult (at least before investing skill points into rifles, the bobbing thing made me seasick). I also didn't think the second was as bad as a lot of people did, but they definitely majorly dumbed it down for consoles. I recently re-played the original game to get myself geared up for DX:HR, and this time I made a point of investing my points wisely so I could boom-headshot MJ12 commandos from a mile away. I didn't finish replaying invisible war before HR came out, and now I'm actually starting to replay HR before going back to 2 (if I even do...last time I tried to replay SW:KOTOR I lost interest, but it was also my third or fourth playthrough). I guess my point is: I consider myself a fan of the series.

I really enjoyed the new game, I got it on steam preorder so I saved like 5 bucks, but I would've paid $50 or $60 or whathaveyou for it and still felt content. The only thing I'm pissed off about is that I didn't get the augmented edition so I couldn't have a silenced sniper rifle (it was my weapon of choice for the first two games). I don't mind them having DLC, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming DLC campaign (even if it's not free), but I really wish they provided an option for me to pay to get the 'augmented edition' extras, mainly that freakin' silenced sniper and 10k extra credits.

The good: It played very much like a modern day version of the original game(s), with some things streamlined, but in a good way that honors the roots of the first game, not the dumbed down aspects of Dx2.

The bad:
Possible sort-of spoilers below (not story related, but felt like a warning was in order just in case)
Spoiler: show
Required boss fights are unfortunate, considering that the original allowed you to essentially be a pacifist, but if you have a certain augmentation that unleashes crazydeath in a 360 degree orientation, they're really not hard. True to DX form, I wasn't 100% happy with ANY of the endings, really. And by that I mean the in-game choices you can make at the very end of the game...there are video things at the end (instead of any in-game cutscene to speak of) which I found a little out of place and somewhat unsatisfying.

Other thoughts: I completed the game on the standard difficulty (not the hardest, not the easy one, the 'recommended' one) with extra praxis (augmentation) points left over that I hadn't even spent. I'm not saying it is an easy game, because I'm the kind of person who saves before pretty much any encounter, because I want to do it in the best way I can. That helped me gain the max benefit from situations most of the time. Also, I played at least a solid 22 hours, which imho isn't too shabby, when I'm still champing at the bit to play it again almost immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

In the game you can buy a silencer from a vendor and "combine" it with just about any weapon. I chose the 10mm hand gun and added a laser sight as well. Then I put it down in the game...somewhere...and lost the damn thing!

So far I am enjoying the game....except for the boss fights. You have to find whatever combo of weapons is effective on the boss and die a lot doing it. Then kill the bum, or bumett as the situation may be.

Personally I think the developers should make a full game as in the past and screw this nickel an dime shit they are doing today. I never buy the extra content, because I think it is wrong and the new content cannot possibly be in sync with the storyline.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:17 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Nastyman wrote:
In the game you can buy a silencer from a vendor and "combine" it with just about any weapon. I chose the 10mm hand gun and added a laser sight as well. Then I put it down in the game...somewhere...and lost the damn thing!

Except the sniper rifle, unless I screwed up somehow. That's why I was griping about it, I think they intentionally removed the ability to silence the sniper rifle so they could provide the 'augmented edition' buyers with a special silenced weapon instead :-/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:28 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I have the sniper rifle, un-silenced, and now that I have all my inventory slots, take it with me. One shot to the head of the nasty guys with the Gatling guns and you drop em'! Without it you have to almost empty all your guns to kill him. I don't know what you need a silencer for in this game because the AI has the IQ of a moron.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:35 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

That's true, I didn't really feel like I was missing out by not having it, I just prefer the sound of a silenced headshot, and it was my favorite wep from the first two, so it's annoying that they cheated me out of having one because i bought the normal people copy of the game :-/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I pretty much beat the game with a fully upgraded 10mm handgun. Extra power, extra ammo, laser sight, silencer, thing was ridiculous. Like I said, even on the hard difficulty, the AI is STUUUUUUPID.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

US_Ranger wrote:
I pretty much beat the game with a fully upgraded 10mm handgun. Extra power, extra ammo, laser sight, silencer, thing was ridiculous. Like I said, even on the hard difficulty, the AI is STUUUUUUPID.

That just means they tried to stay true to the original Deus Ex.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm 

I too also missed out on playing the first few Deus Ex franchise games. This however did not matter as I enjoyed the full experience of this Deus Ex. I purchased the "Augmented edition" and therefore had the advantage of the shotgun and silened sniper rifle. I must add that I was blown away when they added MONTREAL Canada to the spectrum. As a proud canadian, I seriously don't know any other games which drop into the borders of Canada. I have been up/down the exact same lift of the Expo stadium personally, and to have Adam Jensen placed there in a covert mission had me excited.

After beating the game, I was satisfied with the overall plot and gameplay. I did find a few cons throughout the game, but it by all means did not destroy the overall experience. I found the bosses far to easy, as Barret gets killed by a few explosive barrels when thrown at him, the girl boss took maybe 3 clips of assault rifle ammo and 2 clips of shotgun ammo, and the final boss took me ONE PUNCH while he was preoccupied jumping over a wall which was easy to see with eye augmentations while he was cloaked.

The AI was fairly newbish I must agree, but at the same time it all depends on how you strategize your assaults. I played on normal difficulty to enjoy the experience, but what I know now about the AI should make it interesting when I play it again next on the next hardest difficulty. I was OWNING fools approx 50-60% of the way through the game plot once I figured out how to read multiple enemy patrol patterns, upped my augments, upped my weapons, and trained myself in excellence on how to use cover/ evasion tactics.

I truely think that I will find the next playthrough of Deus Ex to be a bit better, as I will be able to put my learnt skills to use against the more difficult campaign. I figure on using the stealth route overall through missions to make it harder. I found myself in the first playthrough pissed off and shooting through enemies openly to complete a mission.

I personally give the game an 8/10 for now, but I think after a second playthrough, and finding more side quests, i'll end up rating it at 9/10. By the end of the game where my augments were unreal high, I was completely owning fools with hand to hand combat and takedowns.

(PS: I seriously think Adam Jensen in this game could replace the Chuck Norris jokes. I love how smooth his character promotes himself lol. I let my buddy try it out, and he ended up just goofing around and killing people. At one point he ran up to some broad in front of Sarif Industries, stopped, looked at her and yelled "Dishes! Do them NOW!" followed by a winding ko falcon punch.) Something like this, heh heh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglypBSCv-A

Last edited by Jared11 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm 

Oh and for score referance,

Graphics - 8/10 (Played with SLI gtx280's, very happy with graphical atmosphere)
Story plot - 9/10 (Intertwinned with your gameplay choices to an extent)
Sound - 9/10 (Love the suspence/action tunes + theme song)
Cut Scenes - 4/10 (Terrible video cut scenes graphics, wtf is that?)
Controls - 8.5/10 (Nothing too negative to report, satisfied and you get used to it after few missions)
Bugs/Glitches - 9/10 (Only had one real glitch with a dead enemy having a siezure and flying around)

I think id be very comfortable with referring others to buy. This is for people who like games such as Splinter Cells, Bioshocks, Metal Gear Solids and First Person RPG's. Wide variety of selection for sure yo,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:44 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nastyman wrote:
I was having fun with it until I hit the first boss fight. It is like nutz, you shoot him in the face with an assault rifle and nothing happens...even ran out of ammo LOL! Now who can you shoot in the face and not die....this is really lame in my humble opinion!

Nasty

That is as far as I have gotten. I am going to try and nail him with an EMP grenade and then toss and explosive barrel at him while he is incapacitated from the EMP. Just hope there are some more EMP Grenades around there ( lots of ammo ) and i know there are more explosive barrels. Maybe if you weaken him enough, then the bullets will work. I have a Rocket launcher but no rockets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Jared11 wrote:
Oh and for score referance,

Graphics - 8/10 (Played with SLI gtx280's, very happy with graphical atmosphere)
Story plot - 9/10 (Intertwinned with your gameplay choices to an extent)
Sound - 9/10 (Love the suspence/action tunes + theme song)
Cut Scenes - 4/10 (Terrible video cut scenes graphics, wtf is that?)
Controls - 8.5/10 (Nothing too negative to report, satisfied and you get used to it after few missions)
Bugs/Glitches - 9/10 (Only had one real glitch with a dead enemy having a siezure and flying around)

I think id be very comfortable with referring others to buy. This is for people who like games such as Splinter Cells, Bioshocks, Metal Gear Solids and First Person RPG's. Wide variety of selection for sure yo,

I agree almost 100% with your review. The only change I would make is to give it a 10/10 on bugs, as i did not have a single issue.

Also, I think it will only get better (much better?) when the mod community gets a hold of this game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:55 pm 

coastie65, try using the yellow gas canisters which are also placed around the room when battling Barret. They keep him stunned for a good 5-7 seconds maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

coastie65 wrote:
Nastyman wrote:

Nasty

That is as far as I have gotten. I am going to try and nail him with an EMP grenade and then toss and explosive barrel at him while he is incapacitated from the EMP. Just hope there are some more EMP Grenades around there ( lots of ammo ) and i know there are more explosive barrels. Maybe if you weaken him enough, then the bullets will work. I have a Rocket launcher but no rockets.

I emp, shot him in the face with my uber pistol and just happen to kill him with an exploding barrel. Didn't see what was so difficult. Also, I heard that rockets do wonders.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:19 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I killed the bum by running into that side room on the left as you come into the main room and hiding against the front corner of the room on the right as you go into it, on top of the boxes. The room is on your left as you go in. I then emptied the massive machine-gun into his face by ducking in and out around the corner....ran out of bullets and used the machine pistol to finish him off. For some reason he never followed me into the room....did I find an exploitable bug in the game...you think?

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nastyman wrote:
I killed the bum by running into that side room on the left as you come into the main room and hiding against the front corner of the room on the right as you go into it, on top of the boxes. The room is on your left as you go in. I then emptied the massive machine-gun into his face by ducking in and out around the corner....ran out of bullets and used the machine pistol to finish him off. For some reason he never followed me into the room....did I find an exploitable bug in the game...you think?

Nasty

Hmmm, Don't know. I thought he did follow me over there. I picked up an exploding barrel over there to toss at him, but he shot it and it was game over. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I can live with shitty AI, afterall, I put up with crappy human intelligence on a daily basis...

Sounds like it's worth a go & will probably pick it up next pay day, by then I should have my replacement motherboard installed and running. I'm having power problems with my current motherboard, press the power button, and sometimes it won't start up. Been trying out different solutions for 2 months, & they (mobo manufacturer) finally agreed that it was my motherboard & not something like power supply, loose wire, switch, grounding issues, etc... Kind of overshadowed my gaming for a while...