Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best CMS ???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I want to use a CMS for a very big project, an open source project no less, which CMS could offer the following options ?

*User made profiles
*An integrated forums system.
*some form of direct communications (chat, IM, or Messages)
*Articles
*E commerce (to allow others to donate to the project)
*advertising (will be using adsense)
*contest/ awards management system.
*Photo Galleries (to post screen shots/validations)

Obviously I can't hand out to many details as to what this project is, although I hope that wont hamper your input. I was leaning towards DRUPAL, any thoughts ?

Edit: I will give you a clue, this project will be aimed at the tech community. It is the goal of the project team to NEVER charge for the services we will render and NEVER use bias. We are currently 3 members but looking to expand.

One more thing, the name. Project Zulu.

You can apply to become a member of the project at applyzulu@lileydesign.com

To become a member of the project you shouldn't send an email saying 'pick me' or 'I want in' you should send an email with the following.

Who you are: DO NOT give an address or phone number. We are simply asking for a simple bio. Name interests etc.

What you bring to the table: Skills, knowledge, etc.

How you could help and why you would want to: Being open source/free means that this will not be a paying gig, just something by techies for techies. That being said tell us why you would want to help, and how you think you could.

What you've done: Any real world experience.

If you are accepted as a team member you will be put in the know. There are no strings attached and anyone can apply.
so if you're looking to be a part of something bigger, let us know.

Last edited by codyandbecca on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Best CMS ???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:58 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Drupal is probably your best bet. I know there are lots of them out there though. I haven't really used drupal since the 5.X days though. Not sure where they have taken the platform now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

CrashTECH wrote:
Drupal is probably your best bet. I know there are lots of them out there though. I haven't really used drupal since the 5.X days though. Not sure where they have taken the platform now.

I've never used a CMS, I was hoping not to but when you need the ability to add content fast and easily there is no substitute.
I have installed DRUPAL 7 and Joomla on some test beds, really leaning towards DRUPAL, but I figured I would get a good opinion first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:39 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Drupal for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Just curious... why would you want to have a secret OSS project?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Gadget wrote:
Just curious... why would you want to have a secret OSS project?

Just until we actually got the wheels moving, it's no secret anymore. www.thezuluproject.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 am 

I think that Drupal or Joomla would be the best choice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:32 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Wordpress. Its so lightweight and you can mold it into absolutely anything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 pm 

I would also go for drupal i have been using it for my site and so far i really like it and the add on that it has

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 am 

Some Name of Best CMS are :

1. Joomla.
2. Word Press.
3. Magento.
4. Drupal.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm 

The best CMS is the paid CMS. The difference between open source and paid CMS is that the paid systems are made by a Team in one place only, so the script they are using is more secure more stable because the programmers discuss all modules script between them.
Open source is made by different people all over the world and is less secure and not so stable because there is no connection between different programmers and sometimes fraudulent people provide scripts.

The most powerful CMS are online shops, Google also has provided an excellent environment for shopping websites.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:04 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

cleaner wrote:
The best CMS is the paid CMS. The difference between open source and paid CMS is that the paid systems are made by a Team in one place only, so the script they are using is more secure more stable because the programmers discuss all modules script between them.
Open source is made by different people all over the world and is less secure and not so stable because there is no connection between different programmers and sometimes fraudulent people provide scripts.

The most powerful CMS are online shops, Google also has provided an excellent environment for shopping websites.

Not necessarily. The code for the core part of the open source projects are checked by a core team, so the core open source project is usually of good quality. However, you need to be careful with the add-on modules, since they are not as tightly controlled.

Also, just because a project is made by a company, does not mean it's of good quality (ex: <insert your favorite proprietary software punching bag here>). In addition, if the project allows community submitted modules, the modules face the same problems as community submitted modules for open source projects.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 am 

Actually Joomla provides only base options. Some of the Add-on modules are very vulnerable and non SEO friendly.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

mag wrote:
Also, just because a project is made by a company, does not mean it's of good quality (ex: <insert your favorite proprietary software punching bag here>).

True. I've seen code used to develop billion dollar satellite systems that was frankly just horrible. Some of the code was literally copied verbatim from books, which would have been fine if it were approriate for the given task. It was pretty amazing.

Also, please don't dig up old threads!