Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 6
I used to be a subscriber of PC World (didn't know of Maximum PC at the time). Being a PC enthusiast, I didn't understand why about half (or more) of the magazines were about non-PC things (specially cameras and phones). Eventually I canceled my subscription as it was just not doing it for me. Then I found out about Maximum PC and immediately subscribed, and have been a happy subscriber for I think over a year now. It was perfect, a PC magazine that concentrated on ... PCs. Loved it!
But October issue has me worried. There is like a 10 page feature article about cameras, immediately followed by another 10 page or so article about phones. I looked at the cover page to see if I hadn't grabbed an old PC World magazine instead, but no, it was Maximum PC.
Now, I don't mind the occasional gadget article, but if this issue represents a trend Maximum PC will turn into... I won't be a happy camper. If it was a 'slow PC news month', I'd rather you filled it up with software or even games, but really, cameras and phones?

Signed... a concerned subscriber


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: A place not actively occupied by something else.
Yeah, I thought cameras and phones were why they created Maximum Tech.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: A place not actively occupied by something else.
Yeah, I thought cameras and phones were why they created Maximum Tech.

EDIT: Sorry, browser lag = double post


Last edited by noghiri_x on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:54 am
Posts: 20
Location: Edmonton Alberta CA
Actually I saw the smartphone article in Maximum Tech


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:52 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 am
Posts: 889
Location: In front of the "Command Center"
Increasingly thin profit margins in the magazine industry make it difficult for publishers to focus solely on one specific product or service. MaximumPC magazine has always included articles tied to photography, whether it's DSLR camera reviews, the latest Photoshop review, or tips for using different software to clean up digital pics. It's a logical branch to serve, because....funny thing is, people are into keeping pictures on their computer. Some people even take pictures, and then edit them on their computer! Crazy I know!! :roll:

And let's see here....what does PC stand for again....uhhh, I used to know this? Oh yeah! Personal Computer!! That's what it is... As a growing number of the population does their personal computing on mobile devices there is an increasing chance that people will benefit from articles based on how to best use those devices, or which perform the best. So you see? Those greedy MaximumPC folks are looking to sell their magazine to other people too! :shock:

How about a little common sense here dude? Do you have any idea how fast a magazine about only PC hardware would tank?! Then you'd have nothing. :?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:06 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 am
Posts: 6
If the October issue is the direction of the new Maximum PC count me out. I was worried about the mag folding after renewing my subscription (which I've had since the Boot days), but if the next few months are as bad as October, it will prove to be a moot point. Hopefully it was just a bad month and they needed filler though next months coming attractions (social media tips...brother) don't install confidence.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: A place not actively occupied by something else.
Nothig really happens in Augusts, and the September news will come later.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:17 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am
Posts: 1998
I dont mind the occasional article on non PC (as in pure traditional PC hardware) stuff but having two major ones (cameras and smartphones) in the same issue is a bit much. how about limiting it to one?

I do wonder at the rational of camera articles though. if one were really interested in such a thing I would think one would by a pure photography mag. I mean I originally bought boot and MPC because they focused ( <- err, sorry) solely on hardcore computer stuff. one would think photographers, even budding ones, would do the same.

Im about mid way through my 3 year sub but I have to wonder if MPC magazine will even last that long.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
vig1lant3 wrote:
It's a logical branch to serve, because....funny thing is, people are into keeping pictures on their computer. Some people even take pictures, and then edit them on their computer! Crazy I know!! And let's see here....what does PC stand for again....uhhh, I used to know this? Oh yeah! Personal Computer!! That's what it is... So you see? Those greedy MaximumPC folks are looking to sell their magazine to other people too!
Your sarcasm is not only biting, but quite unneccessary. I'm not sure which test tube you were hatched from, but if I want to read about PC's, their hardware, software and everything in between, I'll pick up a copy of MPC or CPU Magazine. If I want to read about digital photography, I'll head to DPReview.com where their coverage is much more in-depth, accurate and a helluva lot more compelling than MPC moonlighting as some kind of authority on DSLR's.


vig1lant3 wrote:
How about a little common sense here dude? Do you have any idea how fast a magazine about only PC hardware would tank?! Then you'd have nothing.
Actually, you are quite wrong. CPU Magazine does it very well, catering almost exclusively to PC-based hardware and software articles and reviews. It would serve you well to do a little homework prior to making outrageous claims based on very little factual evidence. CPU Magazine has been around for many years, and does one thing exceedingly well that MPC does not: Provide solid coverage of PC modding and the people that mod them. Now that's maximum PC.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:14 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: A place not actively occupied by something else.
garetjax wrote:
I'm not sure which test tube you were hatched from...

I thought Yoda was on the same side as the clones.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
noghiri_x wrote:
I thought Yoda was on the same side as the clones.

And your point is...? Right, there was none. :roll:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:13 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Posts: 1922
Location: A place not actively occupied by something else.
Look at Ger's avatar. Look at that sentence.
Clones are hatched from test tubes. Yoda commanded the clones. Therefore, Yoda and the Clones are on the same side.
See?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 am
Posts: 889
Location: In front of the "Command Center"
garetjax wrote:
vig1lant3 wrote:
It's a logical branch to serve, because....funny thing is, people are into keeping pictures on their computer. Some people even take pictures, and then edit them on their computer! Crazy I know!! And let's see here....what does PC stand for again....uhhh, I used to know this? Oh yeah! Personal Computer!! That's what it is... So you see? Those greedy MaximumPC folks are looking to sell their magazine to other people too!
Your sarcasm is not only biting, but quite unneccessary. I'm not sure which test tube you were hatched from, but if I want to read about PC's, their hardware, software and everything in between, I'll pick up a copy of MPC or CPU Magazine. If I want to read about digital photography, I'll head to DPReview.com where their coverage is much more in-depth, accurate and a helluva lot more compelling than MPC moonlighting as some kind of authority on DSLR's.


vig1lant3 wrote:
How about a little common sense here dude? Do you have any idea how fast a magazine about only PC hardware would tank?! Then you'd have nothing.
Actually, you are quite wrong. CPU Magazine does it very well, catering almost exclusively to PC-based hardware and software articles and reviews. It would serve you well to do a little homework prior to making outrageous claims based on very little factual evidence. CPU Magazine has been around for many years, and does one thing exceedingly well that MPC does not: Provide solid coverage of PC modding and the people that mod them. Now that's maximum PC.


I was in a sarcastic mood, so I don't think it was at all unnecessary. I did my time, I can speak my mind. The articles being discussed are nearly annual features in some form. As far as research goes, funny thing is, in my younger days I was a magazine department manager for a now defunct bookstore in NY. One of my esteemed duties was to re-order subscriptions, and to look for new subscriptions that may appeal to our customer base. I've probably read more issues of CPU magazine than you've seen, and to be completely honest I find it dry and unappealing. I don't know why, it's just the way it comes off to me. I've always suspected the photography and font. Maybe they should read some MaxPC and get a new camera.... :lol:

Anyway the real point here is that regardless of your sanctimonious diatribe of righteousness, seemingly bent on corralling my irrepressible sarcasm, there are other things at play here that are equally, if not more important. One of them is the ongoing effort to serve a reader base that is already intrigued by your product, while also looking for ways to expand your viewership. Print magazines are disappearing faster than the dinosaurs. Bookstores without a digital distribution model are in trouble because of netbooks, e-readers, and iPads/Tablets. Newspapers are failing because of the internet. Maybe that wasn't the best issue to serve the present reader base, but I'm not going to fault the rag for trying to expand its horizons. It may be the only way to survive an economy that encourages folks not to splurge on frivolities. Let's face it, no magazine subscription is a necessity.

A couple of years after I left the bookstore I worked for, the chain failed. In my area peoples reading habits started to change with the arrival of corporate competition (Borders/Barnes and Noble). Even absent competition they would have never survived the technological evolution aspect of consumption. We could get into a spitting war, but I don't think the mods would appreciate it, and I'm not trying to complicate anyone's day. I'm sure that there are an infinite number of things you failed to glean from my prior post. It's unfortunate that your immediate response was to look no deeper than the sarcasm. My experiences in life have shown me that in order to reach the truth, we often must look beneath the surface. Perhaps your experiences have been different. Either way, I think griping about one issue of a magazine is petty and shortsighted. That's my opinion. I appreciate the fact that the ed's have made enough intelligent decisions to keep the rag afloat so that I still have to opportunity to read it. Someday it won't be around in a form that can so easily be taken to the latrine. :?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
vig1lant3 wrote:
I was in a sarcastic mood, so I don't think it was at all unnecessary. I did my time, I can speak my mind.
The justification you provide for "behaving badly" is typical of this generation who feel that they have a right to do what they want because they feel as though they are entitled to it.

vig1lant3 wrote:
As far as research goes, funny thing is, in my younger days I was a magazine department manager for a now defunct bookstore in NY. One of my esteemed duties was to re-order subscriptions, and to look for new subscriptions that may appeal to our customer base. I've probably read more issues of CPU magazine than you've seen, and to be completely honest I find it dry and unappealing.
I hardly consider your position as a common salesperson at a bookstore as the definitive example of what proper research is. This is especially true in the sense that you automatically assume that because you worked in a bookstore, you have had more exposure to CPU Magazine than I. Laughable, I agree, but the point remains. I would weigh your responses more seriously if you refrained from expressing assumptions based solely on the fact that you were such an esteemed understudy at a *ahem* bookstore.

vig1lant3 wrote:
Anyway the real point here is that regardless of your sanctimonious diatribe of righteousness, seemingly bent on corralling my irrepressible sarcasm, there are other things at play here that are equally, if not more important... My experiences in life have shown me that in order to reach the truth, we often must look beneath the surface.
I do not consider what I said to be sanctimonious, much less righteous; I call it like it is. You claim to seek the truth, yet you cannot even be honest with yourself. You believe that cynicism, sarcasm and jadedness are positive methods to make (ill-conceived, I might add) points readily understandable, much less persuade readers to agree with your position? Interesting.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:17 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 9217
Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
pot calling the kettle black.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
pot calling the kettle black.
While I don't see the hypocrisy that you claim I exhibit, at least you validated what I said in regards to vig1lant3.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 9217
Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
only meant to validate the fact that we all have our own opinions, just because they are not the same does not make the other person wrong.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 am
Posts: 889
Location: In front of the "Command Center"
garetjax wrote:
vig1lant3 wrote:
I was in a sarcastic mood, so I don't think it was at all unnecessary. I did my time, I can speak my mind.
The justification you provide for "behaving badly" is typical of this generation who feel that they have a right to do what they want because they feel as though they are entitled to it.

vig1lant3 wrote:
As far as research goes, funny thing is, in my younger days I was a magazine department manager for a now defunct bookstore in NY. One of my esteemed duties was to re-order subscriptions, and to look for new subscriptions that may appeal to our customer base. I've probably read more issues of CPU magazine than you've seen, and to be completely honest I find it dry and unappealing.
I hardly consider your position as a common salesperson at a bookstore as the definitive example of what proper research is. This is especially true in the sense that you automatically assume that because you worked in a bookstore, you have had more exposure to CPU Magazine than I. Laughable, I agree, but the point remains. I would weigh your responses more seriously if you refrained from expressing assumptions based solely on the fact that you were such an esteemed understudy at a *ahem* bookstore.

vig1lant3 wrote:
Anyway the real point here is that regardless of your sanctimonious diatribe of righteousness, seemingly bent on corralling my irrepressible sarcasm, there are other things at play here that are equally, if not more important... My experiences in life have shown me that in order to reach the truth, we often must look beneath the surface.
I do not consider what I said to be sanctimonious, much less righteous; I call it like it is. You claim to seek the truth, yet you cannot even be honest with yourself. You believe that cynicism, sarcasm and jadedness are positive methods to make (ill-conceived, I might add) points readily understandable, much less persuade readers to agree with your position? Interesting.


Curious that you assume to know exactly what generation I am affiliated with. That condescending approach to any debate belies your ignorance. Never respond to the temptation of bravado's blind leap of faith. It generally results in the underestimating of one's opponent. Don't take my word for it though...

http://suntzusaid.com/

I would be equally curious to know what laundry list of qualifications that you possess that makes you so infinitely superior to pass judgement on others opinions. Sounds to me like you are calling the kettle black. Nothing really wrong with that, but at least my generation has the where-with-all to know when we've inserted a foot into our mouths.

That having been said, I do seek truth, and I am quite honest with myself. I am also adept at putting the shoe on the other foot. That is why I can empathize with the need for product diversification that endeavors to generate a healthy operating profit by appealing to a wider reader base. Even more so, one that is subscription based. The larger the subscription base, the larger the production budget, the better the end product. I can also relate to the fight for survival in less than friendly economic climates (my 4th recession). I never claimed that sarcasm was a positive method of re-enforcement, so your attempts to put any words into my mouth that aim to distort or discredit things that I say is unappreciated. I can assure you that everything laid down in this post is quite well thought out and meted out only through decades of experience.

It is quite evident that you have little of anything substantive to say that is not argumentative, so my only question is can you refute the basic principles of economics (either micro or macro), or even attempt to bend them toward a position that supports your point of view?

If your only example is the continued existence of CPU magazine, then I would have to say that is a flimsy argument at best. In such an unpredictable economic environment, along with the increasing consumption of digital print, do you really think a PRINTED rags best strategy is direct competition?! Look, there may be a hint of intelligence here, or possibly you are simply adept with a Thesaurus. Whatever the case may be, you cannot possibly think to argue against any strategy motivated by the necessity to increase market share for continued economic viability. If you would like to I eagerly look forward to the debate, but privately I am concerned that you may not be so foolish. :|

In addition, please take note of the fact that I did not attempt to condescend to you. I feel that my dialogue was fair and even-tempered, even if yours was not, so should you feel the overwhelming need to respond in an aggressive way, please resist the urge to personalize any biting retorts that may come your way from yours truly... :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
vig1lant3 wrote:
Curious that you assume to know exactly what generation I am affiliated with. That condescending approach to any debate belies your ignorance. Never respond to the temptation of bravado's blind leap of faith. It generally results in the underestimating of one's opponent.
I find it ironic that you insist on bandying the term condescension in this thread, considering your very first effort was laden with sarcasm and a condescending attitude. Naturally, you then have the gall to defend your poor behavior by insinuating that you somehow have earned the right to speak that way to people, hence, my astute observation of this sense of entitlement you wantonly exhibit.


vig1lant3 wrote:
I was in a sarcastic mood, so I don't think it was at all unnecessary. I did my time, I can speak my mind.
If I only knew one thing about you, (other than your being an insufferable bore when writing prose), it is the fact that while you borrow pithy idioms from Sun Tzu and cultivate this all-knowing, vastly superior persona, you are a slave to your emotions and allow them to control you. This speaks volumes about your lack of discipline and your mental (dis)order. To wit, as you are familiar with Sun Tzu, you would know that the one trait Sun Tzu valued more than any other was discipline.


vig1lant3 wrote:
I can assure you that everything laid down in this post is quite well thought out and meted out only through decades of experience.
That is entirely debatable and highly improbable. Your "decades" of experience, no doubt spent in various dusty, now-defunct bookstores, are hardly qualifiers in determining CPU Magazines' worth. Let us be clear: The initial debate swirled around whether or not MPC was "correct" in offering non-PC related reviews, in this case DSLRs. The debate also hinges on whether a magazine can survive by offering PC-only related content, to which CPU Magazine was mentioned as having successfully done so for many years. Whether or not you approve of CPU Magazine is irrelevant; please see below for further explanation:


vig1lant3 wrote:
I've probably read more issues of CPU magazine than you've seen, and to be completely honest I find it dry and unappealing.
You made a statement, painting generalities with broad strokes, and shown you were wrong. In lieu of objectively wrapping your mind around this new information, you persist in injecting your personal feelings towards the magazine itself. No one cares if you worked in a bookstore and found the magazine to be dry and unappealing; that was not the point. The point is that CPU Magazine sticks very closely to PC-only content, unlike MPC, and enjoys a large reader base while doing so, therefore rendering your argument about "diversification" in magazines completely void in this particular debate.


vig1lant3 wrote:
If your only example is the continued existence of CPU magazine, then I would have to say that is a flimsy argument at best. If you would like to I eagerly look forward to the debate, but privately I am concerned that you may not be so foolish.
Allow me to clarify that I am no fool: I wholly understand the power of diversification as being the foundation for success. However, in this instance I have shown that, in PC-focused magazines, success is not dependent solely on diversification. Again, CPU Magazine is but one example of this and your personal feelings on the publication have no bearing on this debate. Your persistence in pushing aside the facts I bring to the debate is not only illogical, but also tactically unsound. Further continuing this debate seems unlikely, as I would likely be forced to endure more of your stuffy, obtuse, nonsensical and decidedly self-centered style of writing.

I trust that my reply was not, how shall I say, too "aggressive" for your elitist sensibilities. :roll:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: October issue, beginning of the end?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 am
Posts: 889
Location: In front of the "Command Center"
garetjax wrote:
vig1lant3 wrote:
Curious that you assume to know exactly what generation I am affiliated with. That condescending approach to any debate belies your ignorance. Never respond to the temptation of bravado's blind leap of faith. It generally results in the underestimating of one's opponent.


garetjax wrote:
I find it ironic that you insist on bandying the term condescension in this thread, considering your very first effort was laden with sarcasm and a condescending attitude. Naturally, you then have the gall to defend your poor behavior by insinuating that you somehow have earned the right to speak that way to people, hence, my astute observation of this sense of entitlement you wantonly exhibit.



My original post was a bit condescending in attitude, but not on a personal level. I did not set out to attack any specificity of the original post, but the idea in general. The only sense of entitlement I have is that to an opinion. I fought to protect it, and I will exercise it. If you find that offensive, well that's just an added little bonus I guess. ;)


vig1lant3 wrote:
I was in a sarcastic mood, so I don't think it was at all unnecessary. I did my time, I can speak my mind.


garetjax wrote:
If I only knew one thing about you, (other than your being an insufferable bore when writing prose), it is the fact that while you borrow pithy idioms from Sun Tzu and cultivate this all-knowing, vastly superior persona, you are a slave to your emotions and allow them to control you. This speaks volumes about your lack of discipline and your mental (dis)order. To wit, as you are familiar with Sun Tzu, you would know that the one trait Sun Tzu valued more than any other was discipline.


I've no need to cultivate an all knowing or superior persona. How exactly would that benefit me? If anything it would discredit, so I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you know very little of me. Perhaps your observations are just manifestations of the inadequacy that you feel in comparison. Age, experience, hard work, and dedication have taught me the things that I need to know in life, and I am anything but a slave to my emotions. To this day the effect of my time in service has provided me a level of discipline that few others enjoy, and I am very thankful for it. As far as Sun Tsu goes, his appreciation of discipline was not a personal manifest, but a byproduct of his cultural heritage.


vig1lant3 wrote:
I can assure you that everything laid down in this post is quite well thought out and meted out only through decades of experience.


garetjax wrote:
That is entirely debatable and highly improbable. Your "decades" of experience, no doubt spent in various dusty, now-defunct bookstores, are hardly qualifiers in determining CPU Magazines' worth. Let us be clear: The initial debate swirled around whether or not MPC was "correct" in offering non-PC related reviews, in this case DSLRs. The debate also hinges on whether a magazine can survive by offering PC-only related content, to which CPU Magazine was mentioned as having successfully done so for many years. Whether or not you approve of CPU Magazine is irrelevant; please see below for further explanation:


My approval of CPU magazine was not part of the debate, but a personal observation, and the debate is less invigorating now since you managed to miss the whole point. I thought I made it quite clear, but apparently I over-estimated you. There was never any denial that CPU Magazine has managed to survive. The point is that in this economic downturn, direct competition is NOT a feasible strategy due the plethora reasons listed in my prior post. Please re-read them as I abhor redundancy.

vig1lant3 wrote:
I've probably read more issues of CPU magazine than you've seen, and to be completely honest I find it dry and unappealing.


garetjax wrote:
You made a statement, painting generalities with broad strokes, and shown you were wrong. In lieu of objectively wrapping your mind around this new information, you persist in injecting your personal feelings towards the magazine itself. No one cares if you worked in a bookstore and found the magazine to be dry and unappealing; that was not the point. The point is that CPU Magazine sticks very closely to PC-only content, unlike MPC, and enjoys a large reader base while doing so, therefore rendering your argument about "diversification" in magazines completely void in this particular debate.


When was I ever shown that I was wrong? I am always eager to wrap my head around new info. I'm presently using by GI Bill to go back to college, so I'm in the habit of wrapping my head around new information on a daily basis. If you have something insightful to say, please stop keeping it to yourself. I did interject my personal feelings about the magazine, but that was never a point of the debate. You need to stop confusing rhetoric with fact, because now we're just talking in circles. And once again you managed to miss the point completely. Diversification is exactly what is necessary to avoid direct competition in the increasingly shrinking market of printed periodicals. The 2010 circulation rate for MaxPC magazine was estimated at 250,000. It's not a number that inspires supreme confidence. Conversely your precious CPU magazine is published by the same company that watched as a sister magazine PCModder went under. This is a more cut throat business than I think you realize. Vying for the attention of readers (especially those in small interest demographics like computing) is a very precise business. Market research and marketing strategies are developments that occur independent of the editorial staff. If there is money to be made by diversification, it would have to be considered a substantial opportunity to risk alienating the present subscription base.

vig1lant3 wrote:
If your only example is the continued existence of CPU magazine, then I would have to say that is a flimsy argument at best. If you would like to I eagerly look forward to the debate, but privately I am concerned that you may not be so foolish.


garetjax wrote:
Allow me to clarify that I am no fool: I wholly understand the power of diversification as being the foundation for success. However, in this instance I have shown that, in PC-focused magazines, success is not dependent solely on diversification. Again, CPU Magazine is but one example of this and your personal feelings on the publication have no bearing on this debate. Your persistence in pushing aside the facts I bring to the debate is not only illogical, but also tactically unsound. Further continuing this debate seems unlikely, as I would likely be forced to endure more of your stuffy, obtuse, nonsensical and decidedly self-centered style of writing.


It's entirely possible that you are not a fool. It matters little to me, I'm simply observing your actions and considering your points. You haven't brought any facts to the debate that don't support my position. Your claim that a CPU centric magazine can survive was dually noted two posts ago. You obviously aren't any closer to grasping my point since you just seem to be recycling yours. Have you ever taken an economics class? Do you really have any idea what your talking about from a fundamentalist standpoint? Do you really not see how publishing CPU Magazine part 2 would be a bad idea? If the market was so large as you assume it is, Sandhills Publishing Company would publish it themselves. And describing my posts as stuffy, obtuse, nonsensical, and self-centered might be an astute observation, but it is also another example of the pot calling the kettle black. It's an entirely hypocritical, simple, inflammatory statement that accomplishes nothing.


garetjax wrote:
I trust that my reply was not, how shall I say, too "aggressive" for your elitist sensibilities. :roll:


Not at all. 8)


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group