Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wierd Bandwidth issues
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

First, im not sure if this belongs here, or in the internet forum. I think it will work here just as well.
Ok, the problem: When im on just a game alone (Badcompany2/Crossfire/Rappelz/LoL/HoN) i get horrible lag(like 30 - 45 seconds) or a dc.
Why its wierd: Whenever i stream video (10 hour youtube videos) While i play the games, all my issues dissapear.
The network im on: Im connected to the jack w/ a cat5 cable, all connections through the network are fiberoptic. Speed test gives me a range of 15-25 ping and 60-70Mbps Down. Im running windows 7 sp1.

Is this a bandwidth issue? When i demand more it gives me a steadier connection? (when i check my status it says i only have ipv4 connectivity, could that have anything to do with the problem?)
Anything i can do to always have a steady connection? (i feel like somthing is throttling it.)

Any help/advice/explinations very much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Wierd Bandwidth issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Keep on streaming youtube? I've been having similar problems. Are you using Earthlink?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:22 am 

2 things on this one.

First what you are talking about is traffic in 2 different directions. Watching youtube pulls a lot of bandwidth in the down direction towards you. This is generally the direction we all have more bandwidth. For instance I have 60mb down towards me but only 5mb up transmitting away from me.

So the issues you are seeing would have to do most likely with the transmit direction sending data to your game servers.

Secondly often times ISP's ,usually in the down direction, will allow you to temporarily burst higher than your committed rate and this is normally seen as an additional feature IE something they are giving to you extra.

What it sounds like to me at this point is there may be a config issue on their side with that.

Have you called your ISP and talked to them about this? It might be as simple as them just resetting your port config.

If you have not I would call them but don't get into detail when you do so, just let them know you are seeing high latency and dropped traffic. Saying anything else will just cause them confusion and minimize your change of success with them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I think Earthlink is throttleing. Maybe they can't tell the difference between a Linux iso torrent and a movie. My problems dissapear if one of our PC are streaming youtube. Anyone know why?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:52 am 

I just tried to answer that.

And yes, they know exactly what traffic you are sending.

Again keep in mind we are talking about higher traffic volume in one direction affecting another.

And yes they are throttling, all ISP's do. The port you get at your house if far faster than the bandwidth they sell to you so in that regard it's all throttled.