Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RegCleanPro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:29 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The other day, after installing a new motherboard and a new processor in my main desktop computer and reinstalling Windows on my "upgraded" system, I went to download and install of few of my favorite applications, one of them being CPU-Z. When I went to the website to download CPU-Z, I inadvertently clicked on the wrong download link and ran its installation program and found it to be installing a program called RegCleanPro. After installing, it performed a scan of my system and "found" 312 errors and offered to either fix only 15 of the errors for free or to let me upgrade to its full version for a fee (I cannot remember what it wanted to charge me!). Anyway, I used RevoUninstall to uninstall this unwanted software, and during the installation, it opened up a browser window, stating it was sorry to see me go and offered to fix half of my "found" registry errors for free and offered me a fifty percent discount off of the regular price of the full version. Undaunted, I continued the uninstall and wiped it off of my system completely. I know it's nothing new to have this kind of software give you the "hard sell", but this seemed a little bit too desperate. I also know that the conventional wisdom is that there is not any good reason to pay for any sort of "registry cleaning" software utility, as it can potentially do more harm than good. What really gets me, though, is that this software purports to have found that many errors on a clean install (I did a full format of the hard drive) of Windows. Unbelievable!

Post subject: Re: RegCleanPro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i never liked software that asked why i decided not to use it any longer, myself. its like they want to make you feel guilty about letting go in hopes you cancel the uninstall. the first time i installed something like that the ad looked like a EULA, which i normally don't read and skip (bad for me). it installed a toolbar of some sort.