Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anybody played Portal 2 on laptop w/ Pentium DC 1.3 SU4100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:46 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Has anyone tried to play (or successfully played) Portal 2 on a laptop with the Pentium Dual Core SU4100 processor (a 1.3 GHz dual core with 2MB of L2 cache).

I know the requirements are a 2.0 Ghz dual core. Reason for asking is that I'm beginning to travel more, and would like to take the game with me and be able to play on a laptop, but want to see if my current laptop can handle it before I go and drop some money on a new one (which the one i Have is fine for the tasks I need to do, I just want to be able to play Portal 2 on the go). The graphics don't have to be super great, I'll even settle for low res settings to keep it playable and fairly smooth. Don't need all the eye candy when I"m traveling.

Post subject: Re: Anybody played Portal 2 on laptop w/ Pentium DC 1.3 SU41
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:26 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I haven't personally tried to play Portal 2 on any of Intel's CULV's, but I have owned systems based on several of them. The SU4100 is just an SU7300 with 1MB less cache so it's still very capable. The problem you're more likely to run into is one of graphic capability.

While some of these CULV's were offered in systems with semi-capable graphics solutions (i.e. Alienware m11x w/ nvidia GT335M, Asus UL30VT w/ nvidia 210M, UL30JC w/ nvidia 310M, etc.) the majority of laptops came with nothing better than Intel 4500HD video. That would be a problem.

It would also help to know what make and model laptop we're talking about here. Some of the higher quality CULV based systems are over-clockable. I ran my Asus UL30VT (1.3Ghz/1.73Ghz) @ 2.1Ghz with the 210M overclocked as well. A setup like that would allow you to play Portal 2 on the go at a respectable resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've got a Dell Inspiron 11z with 4GB of RAM, and the Intel GMA 4500HD graphics. I know it's not the best. When I got the laptop, I really wasn't planning on playing games (which was about 1.5 years ago), but then Portal 2 came out, and now I want to be able to play it when I travel. It's not a big deal, because my home rig is more than capable, but I'd like to try if I can.

I know to take the system requirements with a grain of salt. I guess I could just simply install it and see. and if it doesn't work, I'll just remove it from the laptop and see what my next move will be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:27 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hmmm...well there was a project a couple of years back for overclocking Intel IGP's....

http://www.gmabooster.com/

Don't know if support was ever added for your part, you'll have to check and see. That would help the video a little, but you're still likely to be disappointed.

I would wait for the AMD E-450 (quad) to become available. That will likely be the first time we've ever seen a truly CPU capable netbook with moderate gaming chops. Even my OC'ed 1215N won't be able to keep up with that, and since the IGP will also be upgraded from the E-350, it's likely to be a real winner for AMD in the pockets of mobile gamers.